Valve announced a new handheld and it looks like shit

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Of course it is.

The amount Proton has improved in such a short time is incredible.

And I'm sure the most popular first person shooters will run just fine on it when it releases... because Valve is working with them to make them work. :drake: 

So how long has Valve been working on this....................so we can determine how long they've been unable to get the most common, popular FPS to play on the OS platform?

How long has SteamOS existed?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Valve came out with a Switch Pro before Nintendo

lol sheep are shook ITT   "a number of popular online games don't work on it"   Well you guys have been skipping most online games for decades now so I'm sure everyone else can co

Posted Images

Just now, jehurey said:

So how long has Valve been working on this....................so we can determine how long they've been unable to get the most common, popular FPS to play on the OS platform?

How long has SteamOS existed?

How long have you existed? And yet you're still the way you are, like a child. 

Very comparable. 

1 minute ago, Remij said:

No, you're just someone left with observations and thoughts...

How am I "left" with them, when I'm the one who made them?:drake:

I clearly wasn't left with proper responses.............so you at least got that correct. LOL

No they're not meaningless, D-pad and buttons that are at the edge of a device do not have any record of them feeling well for extended play sessions in games that heavily utilize them.

If such a device DOES EXIST.........................please point them out to me.

I'm still waiting.

Just now, DynamiteCop said:

How long have you existed? And yet you're still the way you are, like a child. 

Very comparable. 

Stay on topic, please.

Being butthurt about me isn't going to solve anything.

other than giving me a chuckle:vabe:

Just now, DynamiteCop said:

Because you stand alone, therefore you're "left" with your ignorant assertions. 

Thanks for admitting that you couldn't form a response to my thoughts and observations.

Wow, its not everyday you get people admitting that they couldn't handle it.

Just now, jehurey said:

Thanks for admitting that you couldn't form a response to my thoughts and observations.

Wow, its not everyday you get people admitting that they couldn't handle it.

You're just flat out nuts my guy, no way around it. You've been given nothing but responses invalidating virtually everything you've said. 

You can't accept being wrong or having severely flawed perspectives on things. That's why I'm asserting that you're actually autistic, likely asperger's to be precise. You don't fall under social norms, you can't read the room, you can't actually engage in a dialog with people.

You have issues. 

• dead 1
5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

You're just flat out nuts my guy, no way around it. You've been given nothing but responses invalidating virtually everything you've said. 

No I haven't

Sweetie.............it shouldn't take about 30 posts for you to admit that you VISUALLY SEE a D-pad and Face Buttons at the very edge of the device.

Why try to play dumb?

You didn't want to answer it, because you knew that my question raises a valid concern...........because YOU KNOW that having those types of button placements in those areas are not ideal for a gaming device.

So.........what we've been seeing here are two butthurt bitches trying to argue against COMMON SENSE.

No wonder you would meltdown. You're trying to force yourself to commit to bullshit talking points, and you get angry when THOSE TALKING POINTS DON'T WORK.

But you should've known they wouldn't work to begin with.

Edited by jehurey
On 2021-07-15 at 10:42 PM, -GD-X said:

didn't something like this come out and bomb? i played it at supercon in 2013 (was like a controller with a screen attached to it). 

its been tried before lol

i have a tablet with a xbox controller attached.

11 hours ago, DynamiteCop said:

This open platform can't play a few games on the OS which is pre-installed and you can change in a matter of 15 minutes.

Throw it in the trash, it's cooked.

It's going to be good for enthusiasts but no one else. 

12 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

It's going to be good for enthusiasts but no one else. 

Its actually not as simple as dyno is saying. If it functions like a computer then you have to download the Windows image from MS, copy it onto a USB, and then install it on the deck. Afterwards you'll have to buy a license for that version of Windows too.

I don't think the average person is going to want to go that route. Then theres the fact that the hardware is designed for the linux based OS so games could perform worse if you suddenly decide to run them through Windows on the Deck.

And because a lot of people won't want to go through the trouble, they'll be stuck not being able to play the most popular battle royale and multiplayer games because of the lack of anti cheat support on the steamOS.

Theres definitely some glaring flaws and concerns with the device that Valve need to address.

"Handheld with no exclusives"

Probably the biggest fucking gaming library out of any system out there :D but it doesn't have a Mario game every year therefore it sucks. That's not to mention the emulation potential.

I don't care for it because I don't need steam on a handheld but as a gaming device this would be great.

• dead 1

lol sheep are shook ITT :D

"a number of popular online games don't work on it"

Well you guys have been skipping most online games for decades now so I'm sure everyone else can cope too :D

Edited by TLHBO
  • Haha 1
  • dead 1
17 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

lol sheep are shook ITT :D

"a number of popular online games don't work on it"

Well you guys have been skipping most online games for decades now so I'm sure everyone else can cope too :D

Twinblade isn't a sheep.  No one is shook by  steam deck. 

19 hours ago, jehurey said:

and yet they still won't put in that work, no matter how little it may seem.

unless Valve makes a deal with certain developers, or provides incentives.

this is pretty much another attempt from Valve to see how many people they can get on SteamOS, and its probably going to fare as well as their previous attempts.  They look at a slight rise in SteamOS users, so it drop back down. And then they'll abandon this product for another couple of years before they come out with a second handheld device.

I agree with you there is no guarantee devs would support it, but they can't support it if Valve doesn't provide for it.

I disagree that the Deck wont be successful. I think these handheld PCs will be a new norm. Alienware already announced one and other less known OEMs have them as well. Valve's hardware might not even be the best, but the form factor running SteamOS will be viable.