Digital Foundry-Valve Steam Deck Spec Analysis: Can It Really Handle AAA PC Gaming?

9 hours ago, TLHBO said:

Yes it very much sounds like it's based on the 4000-U series which also ran at 15W. That's what I was comparing it to. These were for ultra thin laptops so it makes sense they were picked for a handheld rather than the ones designed for high end gaming laptops. They have a lot less real estate to work with and a smaller battery.

Valve has a custom chip though, it's all going to depend on the graphics performance of that thing but since they've built a system dedicated to gaming I would expect they have something sufficient. Also of note is that the 4000 U series ran on shared DDR4 memory, not LPDDR5 like the steam deck will.

I think it will be fine for handheld gaming at 800P. Even if it couldn't run the latest games well.....how would that be any different to Switch? which either doesn't get games or it gets downgraded ports. Why is this being held to much higher standards than Switch? This doesn't need to offer a desktop experience because desktop steam is actually a thing. With Switch however the one unit is all you have, so if the big screen experience blows then it blows with no alternative.

because its costing double the price of certain Switch models.

and its releasing in late 2021, basically 2022.

The Switch came out in March 2017. We're talking about over 4.5 years ago.

If Nintendo came out with a Switch 2 in 2022, that only did 1.6 TFLOPS (but more than likely ran below that most of the time) and ran games still at 720p, at $400 would anybody be complimenting them?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently you can just pop any M2 SSD in it and upgrade the storage capacity that way. That makes the $400 unit way more viable.

TSHBFR by Valve 

which defeats the purpose   did you actually think that in your head and thought to yourself "yup............that's a good response, I'm going to go ahead with that" ????  

9 hours ago, Remij said:

It's going to be just fine... and for $50 more than the Switch OLED, it offers MUCH MUCH more.

This will run the vast majority of PC games out there, and they can all scale to the device.

This thing SMASHES any of it's competition... any other comparisons or "concerns" from haters can simply be disregarded.

oxukwi268vb71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

:hehe: 

i love this angle.

the "it can POSSIBLY DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!" routine.

And none of it is remotely exciting.

the reason why people do this is because they can't zero in on anything it does well.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

i love this angle.

the "it can POSSIBLY DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!" routine.

And none of it is remotely exciting.

the reason why people do this is because they can't zero in on anything it does well.

It does literally everything better than Switch :drake: 

Just now, jehurey said:

No, it actually can't.

Keep fiddling with your emulator........its not like you have anything else to do.:drake:

It plays far more games, plays them better, and is completely open.

Not even counting emulation..

So yes, it actually can.

But it's not like you play Switch anyway... or your PC... or your PS5. :tom: 

Just now, Remij said:

It plays far more games, plays them better, and is completely open.

Not even counting emulation..

So yes, it actually can.

But it's not like you play Switch anyway... or your PC... or your PS5. :tom: 

No it doesn't.

And you wouldn't even know..........because you don't even play emulators.

Please go buy a Steam Deck, so you can TALK about what it could do..............while you do nothing with it.

And yeah, I do play those things....................too bad you don't.

You don't even play Playstation 4 games since 2014.:lawl:

Just now, jehurey said:

No it doesn't.

And you wouldn't even know..........because you don't even play emulators.

Please go buy a Steam Deck, so you can TALK about what it could do..............while you do nothing with it.

And yeah, I do play those things....................too bad you don't.

You don't even play Playstation 4 games since 2014.:lawl:

Yes it does.

And yes I do... I play them often.. and far more than you.

Please go buy another GPU... which will sit and collect dust like the rest of the shit lying around your dirty house.. LOL!  We don't forget that you bought a 3090 and didn't even assemble your PC until a month or so later... specifically for Cyberpunk ROFL :rofl: 

And no... you don't.  You haven't played your PS5 since Jun 11th... and are in NO RUSH to play "critically acclaimed AAA exclusive MEGA platformer" Ratchet and Clunk :rofls: 

Just now, Remij said:

Yes it does.

And yes I do... I play them often..

No, you don't.

And...............sweetie, let's imagine you aren't lying and take what you just typed at face value.

This idiot just admitted he doesn't have any actual PC games to play :lawl::lawl::lawl::lawl::lawl:

The only reason why I'm not laughing any harder is because you clearly made a pathetic lie. You don't play any emulators. I'd love to see you prove that you are HOURS into any Switch game on an emulator.

(you won't be able to prove that).

No, you don't.

And...............sweetie, let's imagine you aren't lying and take what you just typed at face value.

This idiot just admitted he doesn't have any actual PC games to play :lawl::lawl::lawl::lawl::lawl:

The only reason why I'm not laughing any harder is because you clearly made a pathetic lie. You don't play any emulators. I'd love to see you prove that you are HOURS into any Switch game on an emulator.

(you won't be able to prove that).

Yea, I do.

And I can do it whenever I want.  The power of choice :blessed: 

And thanks for proving that whatever you actually ARE playing (likely nothing) is more important and takes precedent over that MEGA AAAe PS5 game.. you're in absolutely NO RUSH to play :rofl: 

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yea, I do.

And I can do it whenever I want.  The power of choice :blessed: 

And thanks for proving that whatever you actually ARE playing (likely nothing) is more important and takes precedent over that MEGA AAAe PS5 game.. you're in absolutely NO RUSH to play :rofl: 

Two month ban bet

Within the next 5 minutes.............you should be able to do this immediately.

Pull up a Switch game, on your emulator, on your PC, that shows a save file, a Save you've made RECENTLY, and has a Timer or Game Log on it that shows you have played it for multiple hours

Let's get the mods on this.

@madmaltese@Twinblade@-GD-X

Edited by jehurey

@Remij

Alright...............so five minutes have already passed ( 6 minutes actually)

mods @madmaltese@Twinblade@-GD-X I'm going to be generous and give him ANOTHER 5 minutes, for a total amount of 10 minutes being given to him.

to pull up something that should only take a few mouse clicks on his own computer that he is posting on right now.

The reason why he's given 10 minutes or so that he doesn't try to cheat and try to find a save file on the internet and claim it as his own.

he doesn't have enough time for that (actually he probably does, but I'm being generous).

also, I don't know how the Switch emulator works, but I assume that you can also pull up something that shows a Switch account name, right?

Edited by jehurey

@Remij

Alright...............so five minutes have already passed ( 6 minutes actually)

mods @madmaltese@Twinblade@-GD-X I'm going to be generous and give him ANOTHER 5 minutes, for a total amount of 10 minutes being given to him.

to pull up something that should only take a few mouse clicks on his own computer that he is posting on right now.

The reason why he's given 10 minutes or so that he doesn't try to cheat and try to find a save file on the internet and claim it as his own.

he doesn't have enough time for that (actually he probably does, but I'm being generous).

also, I don't know how the Switch emulator works, but I assume that you can also pull up something that shows a Switch account name, right?

LMAO see, I wouldn't even bother... because that's exactly what you'll claim...  that I just cheated.. so there's no point.

I don't need to prove shit to you anyway... lmfao.

Just now, Remij said:

LMAO see, I wouldn't even bother... because that's exactly what you'll claim...  that I just cheated.. so there's no point.

I don't need to prove shit to you anyway... lmfao.

And you just lost.

Thanks for (not) playing.

BUH-BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, jehurey said:

And just like that, I easily proved that Lemij, who talked about playing Nintendo emulators for like maybe the past 4 years..........has never done so.

:blessed:

You proved nothing but how lame you are :tom: 

• dead 1
1 hour ago, jehurey said:

because its costing double the price of certain Switch models.

and its releasing in late 2021, basically 2022.

The Switch came out in March 2017. We're talking about over 4.5 years ago.

If Nintendo came out with a Switch 2 in 2022, that only did 1.6 TFLOPS (but more than likely ran below that most of the time) and ran games still at 720p, at $400 would anybody be complimenting them?

You mean like when everyone was bringing out HD consoles with cutting edge hardware and NIntendo duct-taped 2 Gamecubes together and sheep like yourself went crazy for it? :bena:

Yeah I think a lot of people would compliment them tbh :]

12 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

You mean like when everyone was bringing out HD consoles with cutting edge hardware and NIntendo duct-taped 2 Gamecubes together and sheep like yourself went crazy for it? :bena:

Yeah I think a lot of people would compliment them tbh :]

the Nintendo Wii was double the cost of the other hardware?

(man, its so easy to pull a thread and watch the whole thing unravel)

• NPC 1
17 minutes ago, jehurey said:

the Nintendo Wii was double the cost of the other hardware?

(man, its so easy to pull a thread and watch the whole thing unravel)

Come on Jerry you know it's about more than price. You're trying to focus on this one point now to save face, but we all know if nintendo was in this position the sheep would be defending it at all costs.

and yeah the WIi was overpriced. It was a last gen system at a next gen price. Shit cost almost as much as the 360 and yet og xbox games still looked way better than most wii games.

• Geese 1