[Digital Foundry] Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart's 40fps Fidelity Mode Is A Big Deal For Consoles

• Playstation Tablet changed the title to [Digital Foundry] Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart's 40fps Fidelity Mode Is A Big Deal For Consoles
21 hours ago, Ramza said:

40 FPS 

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Hey dipshit it looks amazing in 120hz mode.  That's a big deal but of course your Cheetos filled arteries don't allow enough oxygen to go to your brain so you can think logically.  

10 minutes ago, lostfool said:

Hey dipshit it looks amazing in 120hz mode.  That's a big deal but of course your Cheetos filled arteries don't allow enough oxygen to go to your brain so you can think logically.  

I constantly play games at 120hz or 144hz refresh rate, that's nothing special. Difference is I don't have to do it 40FPS. :lul: 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

It has a 120fps mode if I remember correctly. 40fps is fidelity for 120hz displays. 

That's weird, I never noticed a significant drop in FPS when I played my PC games at 120 hz. 

49 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I constantly play games at 120hz or 144hz refresh rate, that's nothing special. Difference is I don't have to do it 40FPS. :lul: 

You obviously do not understand why it's there.  It's funny how little about actual hardware and how it works plan c gamers know.  

26 minutes ago, lostfool said:

You obviously do not understand why it's there.  It's funny how little about actual hardware and how it works plan c gamers know.  

I'm sure he knows 40 x 3 = 120....

The real funny thing though is this wouldn't even be interesting... if Sony supported VRR like they claimed they would.

25 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

You need different refresh rates for 120h displays than 60fps displays. That's why 40fps mode exists it's not aimed at 60fps displays. 

I don't know shit but ideally you want 120FPS with 120hz, no?

2 hours ago, Ramza said:

I don't know shit but ideally you want 120FPS with 120hz, no?

You want your FPS to multiply evenly into your refresh rate so you can display a unique frame every X frames... in this case every 3 frames. 

New frame, duplicate, duplicate.. then new frame again.  That way it's in cadence with the displays refresh and thus smooth with no stutter.

In this case though you're also getting the benefit of lower input lag because, for one, the game is displaying more frames... and the display is refreshing faster too.

But it's still just 40fps :hest:

• Upvote 1