Is anyone following the Olympics?

I just read that the Czech women's volleyball match vs Japan was cancelled because some Czech players tested positive for Covid. As a result of that Japan got the 'win' and advanced over them.

Which made me think, is this going to become a trend and the Olympics are basically going to become a competition between athletes who get Covid and those who manage to avoid it? That would basically boil down to many of the medal winners winning not because of their skill or talent but because their covid tests kept on coming back negative :ben: 

This sounds like such a trainwreck of a competition that im actually interested in it for the first time in years :D 

I used to like the Olympics but it feels like a bit of a weird year

All the COVID stuff, the empty opening ceremony and who are the top tier Olympians? No Usain Bolt or Phelps. Maybe somebody will step up

That Gymnast Simone Biles is pretty good though

Once I started to realize that its just a private cartel, seemingly no different than the NFL or other privately-owned sports "league", I stopped caring about it.

When you were a kid, you were probably duped into thinking this was some worldwide nations working with one together to bring these games together to show world peace.......its not.

Its just a privately run organization that sells a brand. They dupe local governments into spending taxpayer money on them, because the local government believes that the tourism that it will bring will give it an economic boost (spoiler: it never does). Its also meant to give that nation some PR. Its corrupt, the Olympic organizers are getting bribed, no different than FIFA officials.

And then its televised and sponsored out the ass. And the Olympic organization gets a cut for licensing their logos that get slapped on Coca-Cola, McDonalds, and any other product that is sponsoring the games. Sorta like what the Susan G. Komen "Race for the Cure" organization does.

I am interested in the idea of who is the fastest runner in the world, or the best gymnast, or swimmer. Just wished it didn't come with so much bullshit. Also why wait four years to find out who is the fastest runner? Would rather have a week of tournaments every 2 years for running, and another week for gymnastic, and then for swimming.

15 hours ago, jehurey said:

Once I started to realize that its just a private cartel, seemingly no different than the NFL or other privately-owned sports "league", I stopped caring about it.

When you were a kid, you were probably duped into thinking this was some worldwide nations working with one together to bring these games together to show world peace.......its not.

Its just a privately run organization that sells a brand. They dupe local governments into spending taxpayer money on them, because the local government believes that the tourism that it will bring will give it an economic boost (spoiler: it never does). Its also meant to give that nation some PR. Its corrupt, the Olympic organizers are getting bribed, no different than FIFA officials.

And then its televised and sponsored out the ass. And the Olympic organization gets a cut for licensing their logos that get slapped on Coca-Cola, McDonalds, and any other product that is sponsoring the games. Sorta like what the Susan G. Komen "Race for the Cure" organization does.

I am interested in the idea of who is the fastest runner in the world, or the best gymnast, or swimmer. Just wished it didn't come with so much bullshit. Also why wait four years to find out who is the fastest runner? Would rather have a week of tournaments every 2 years for running, and another week for gymnastic, and then for swimming.

I think it was pretty good for Australia when we had the Sydney Olympics

On 2021-07-24 at 11:56 AM, Twinblade said:

I just read that the Czech women's volleyball match vs Japan was cancelled because some Czech players tested positive for Covid. As a result of that Japan got the 'win' and advanced over them.

Which made me think, is this going to become a trend and the Olympics are basically going to become a competition between athletes who get Covid and those who manage to avoid it? That would basically boil down to many of the medal winners winning not because of their skill or talent but because their covid tests kept on coming back negative :ben: 

This sounds like such a trainwreck of a competition that im actually interested in it for the first time in years :D 

You mean like any other sport where a star athlete(s) isn't able to play in since forever.