12 minutes - 9 at gs/8 at ign

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man this is a tough one to explain. It does so much well and then so much so poorly.  Firstly the story nearly instantly gets it's hooks into you and the time loop mystery is super fun to un

Two AAA's for Xbox in a month  

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/12-minutes-review-loop-anti-heroes/1900-6417713/ https://www.ign.com/articles/twelve-minutes-review   was expecting 7's, despite looking forward to it.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, DynamiteCop said:

Got to love the Metacritic flip-flop. Game is a AAA and suddenly Metacritic matters again. Don't ever change, retards.

Let me explain this to you again for the millionth time.  GS AAA is for SW ownage purposes.... Outside of that we use Meta to gauge the overall consensus of a game. 

saw the GB quicklook. Yeah its definitely not my game. The whole experience is just restarting the time loop over and over again while you figure out the correct interactions through nothing but trial and error. I think with some smarter design choices like a flow chart that keeps track of what you've done and slowly points you in the right direction (think Zero Escape), the game could have delivered.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

saw the GB quicklook. Yeah its definitely not my game. The whole experience is just restarting the time loop over and over again while you figure out the correct interactions through nothing but trial and error. I think with some smarter design choices like a flow chart that keeps track of what you've done and slowly points you in the right direction (think Zero Escape), the game could have delivered.

the flow chart :wow2:

• Like 1

Man this is a tough one to explain.

It does so much well and then so much so poorly. 

Firstly the story nearly instantly gets it's hooks into you and the time loop mystery is super fun to unravel, the problem is pretty much every gameplay element required to enjoy the story.

It has all the problems of classic point and click adventure games where you need very specific items to be used in specific places and the added element of specific times too. That alone can make you hit certain walls because you just aren't doing exactly what the game wants you to do (and in some cases what it wants you to do induces more of a groan than a 'AH!' moment). The added issue is now because of the time loop element, when you aren't doing the exact thing required you literally have to loop again and again, doing things the exact same way over and over to then try something else at a certain time. What that caused for me was my enjoyment of the game practically continually diminishing as I played after starting at like a 10.

I finished my first ending and now it also seems like the game starts from the beginning again meaning I might have to go through the process of getting all the specified info again to try get another ending....which sounds tedious as hell tbh, even for a short game. 

With that said I still enjoyed my time with it cause it is unique and the premise has a lot of potential. They just need to deliver it a little better. 

Probably a 7.0 for me. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2
6 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Man this is a tough one to explain.

It does so much well and then so much so poorly. 

Firstly the story nearly instantly gets it's hooks into you and the time loop mystery is super fun to unravel, the problem is pretty much every gameplay element required to enjoy the story.

It has all the problems of classic point and click adventure games where you need very specific items to be used in specific places and the added element of specific times too. That alone can make you hit certain walls because you just aren't doing exactly what the game wants you to do (and in some cases what it wants you to do induces more of a groan than a 'AH!' moment). The added issue is now because of the time loop element, when you aren't doing the exact thing required you literally have to loop again and again, doing things the exact same way over and over to then try something else at a certain time. What that caused for me was my enjoyment of the game practically continually diminishing as I played after starting at like a 10.

I finished my first ending and now it also seems like the game starts from the beginning again meaning I might have to go through the process of getting all the specified info again to try get another ending....which sounds tedious as hell tbh, even for a short game. 

With that said I still enjoyed my time with it cause it is unique and the premise has a lot of potential. They just need to deliver it a little better. 

Probably a 7.0 for me. 

Thanks for the review. 

• Like 1

i actually was trying this game on my phone last night, and thought I was making decent progress for the 90 minutes or so that I was playing.

And then I decided to read just ONE piece of spoiler tip from a neogaf thread.

Once I read it, it pissed me off. Because its stupid, and it isn't clever or intuitive, and the only way I would've come to doing that in the game would be 1.) I've wrecked my brain and am I just systematically clicking everything, going through it one-by-one, or 2.) Sheer dumb luck.

And, without going into much detail, I thought I had already figured out how to accomplish that particular objective. it turns out that I would need to do this particular spoiler tip because my way is taking too long, and you need to accomplish this objective faster.

So, how many hours would it have taken me before I figured out, or the game straight-up tells me, "your way is not correct because it takes too long" in order for me to even begin looking for the other, quicker, way?

I still want to finish the game, but from what I can tell,  the game is pretty much designed in which you have play the first half of the game a certain way to collect information on characters and background history; because that is necessary to open up dialogue trees. And the dialogue trees is what is going to get you to the endgame.

11 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I still want to finish the game, but from what I can tell,  the game is pretty much designed in which you have play the first half of the game a certain way to collect information on characters and background history; because that is necessary to open up dialogue trees. And the dialogue trees is what is going to get you to the endgame.

Yes, you need to gather the information first.  Once you have the required information, it opens up the dialogue trees to speed up the process and allow you more time to experiment past that point.

The whole idea about every loop is to gather more information and to utilize what you know to alter future events.

On 2021-08-20 at 12:22 PM, -GD-X said:

jesus...lol. 

I don't even think its "good" voice work.

I think both James McAvoy and Daisy Ridley were both sounding like "generic late 20-something couple living in a gentrified neighborhood" Like you can't even make out if they have East Coast voices, or west coast voices. Its neither.

Yea, that's another thing about the game... I have no idea why they needed to have James, Daisy and William voice these characters...

Literally anyone could have voiced these characters and sounded the same.  It's not that the acting is bad... but the game's animations and gameplay would make the acting sound disjointed regardless of how well the actors delivered the lines.  It's the writing and gameplay/pacing which affect the acting voicework quality more than anything else.

Which is why I say it could have been done with anybody and it would have suited the game just fine.

i feel like i'm really, really close to the ending.

and I'm sorta at the mercy of just guessing the proper dialogue tree options to find the ending. I don't know why I can't just get "an" ending for whatever dialogue choices I make at this point, and simply tell me how good or bad my choice was.

However, if this isn't actually close to the ending, then that may disappoint me even more.

4 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Damn. So did anyone like it? Lol 

well, there's a brief 5 to 10 minute window near the end (which I'm presuming is near the end) in which you realize something, and all of a sudden you're thinking "holy shit, they're getting pretty SCANDALOUS with this story"

For a good moment there, you actually do think they're going to to do something that makes it all worth it.

But, in my opinion, they ruin what should be a pretty good highpoint for which to end the game at.

In my opinion, they should take away the interactivity and just let you sit and watch it, and maybe give you one last choice simply to give you multiple endings.

But they don't do that, they actually throw in another round of choices, and if you "fail" they make you start over. It just sucks the momentum of what COULD BE a good climax.