The Chinese HBR: China Limits Online Videogames to Three Hours a Week for Young People

25 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

I don't really agree with governmental mandates of this nature however this is a very positive thing for the youth of that country. Kids need to be outside experiencing the world.

Shut up.  If that happened here you would flip a gasket.  

The Chinese government controls and monitors everything. They will probably have some kind of timer enforced by ISPs that limits your gaming time, unless you can verify that you’re an adult.  

Edit: 

‘The government announcement said all online videogames will be required to connect to an “anti-addiction” system operated by the National Press and Publication Administration. The regulation, which takes effect on Wednesday, will require all users to register using their real names and government-issued identification documents’ 

not far off from my theory, man I know we have our issues in the states but China’s level of control over its people is just insane.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

The Chinese government controls and monitors everything. They will probably have some kind of timer enforced by ISPs that limits your gaming time, unless you can verify that you’re an adult.  

Edit: 

‘The government announcement said all online videogames will be required to connect to an “anti-addiction” system operated by the National Press and Publication Administration. The regulation, which takes effect on Wednesday, will require all users to register using their real names and government-issued identification documents’ 

not far off from my theory, man I know we have our issues in the states but China’s level of control over its people is just insane.

China was already limiting kids gaming time to 90 minutes a day and using government issued ID to block kids once they met their limit, but kids just got around it by using their parents/older family members' ID, older friends' ID, or random ones found online. Limiting that further doesn't seem particularly noteworthy, but running everything through an "anti-addiction" system sounds like it'll end up morphing into fucking with an adult's social credit score if they're deemed addicted to games.

4 hours ago, DynamiteCop said:

I don't really agree with governmental mandates of this nature however this is a very positive thing for the youth of that country. Kids need to be outside experiencing the world.

This isn't to get kids outside, its to have them studying until they fall asleep every day