AoE4 open technical test runs from Sep 17th - 20th

Its up on Steam and the Xbox Insider Hub app. I only played through the tutorial but I dig the mechanics. The graphics aren't too bad either, the buildings and other objects have some simple but decent looking animations in terms of how they get built up and destroyed. The weakest part are the units themselves, even when the camera is zoomed out all the way you can really tell just how low poly they are. The game does seem like it'll scale well tho, apparently it'll even run on integrated graphics.

I want to jump online now but I admit im intimidated AF, ill probably get wrecked minutes into my first match :ben: 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Its up on Steam and the Xbox Insider Hub app. I only played through the tutorial but I dig the mechanics. The graphics aren't too bad either, the buildings and other objects have some simple but decent looking animations in terms of how they get built up and destroyed. The weakest part are the units themselves, even when the camera is zoomed out all the way you can really tell just how low poly they are. The game does seem like it'll scale well tho, apparently it'll even run on integrated graphics.

I want to jump online now but I admit im intimidated AF, ill probably get wrecked minutes into my first match :ben: 

I might give this a try at some point this weekend.  Mostly just Tales of Arise though. 

I finished my first match (a 3 vs 3 but it was us against AI) and holy hell did I do terribly :D My town center got destroyed about 4 times and I had to start from scratch every time, I pretty much wasn't able to build any decent groups of units to go on the offensive or even do a decent job of defending my town. I was playing with 2 guys who clearly knew their shit and they carried me through the entire match, the performance stats at the end pretty much speak for themselves

AoE4.thumb.JPG.0e04bfbc07e3c27d92eb38d25e7c2e2c.JPG

My memory is a bit hazy but there seems to be a lot of new systems and mechanics that aren't explained in the tutorial they include, so not being familiar with how that stuff works definitely puts you at a disadvantage.

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Seems that there aren't any true hermits left on this forum anymore :( Back in the old days we would have been able to get some fun SW matches going with this type of game.

There aren't many people on this forum left in general....  There's like 6-7 active posters and a couple who pop in every now and then...

And a good amount of reason for that is that there's a few idiots that make posting here almost unbearable. 

Many have moved on to discord... and others simply have lives... wives, and children and don't game much anymore.

6 minutes ago, Remij said:

There aren't many people on this forum left in general....  There's like 6-7 active posters and a couple who pop in every now and then...

And a good amount of reason for that is that there's a few idiots that make posting here almost unbearable. 

Many have moved on to discord... and others simply have lives... wives, and children and don't game much anymore.

The forum has actually been pretty active lately all things considered, though that's partly because of the plethora of merry go round posts.

2 hours ago, Cooke said:

just had an epic 4v4 lasted like 3 hours lol. we lost but it was fun. 

Damn that sounds nuts and another reason why I won't get too deep into the multiplayer. Im already overwhelmed just minutes in a match :D I can't imagine playing for 3 hours.

Im very much looking forward to the campaign content tho.

17 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Damn that sounds nuts and another reason why I won't get too deep into the multiplayer. Im already overwhelmed just minutes in a match :D I can't imagine playing for 3 hours.

Im very much looking forward to the campaign content tho.

I had quite a huge kingdom. I was second in my team and basically just played defensive while the others went on the attack. It works well when you communicate. Its very similar to AOE2 which made it easy to figure out. 

1 hour ago, Cooke said:

I had quite a huge kingdom. I was second in my team and basically just played defensive while the others went on the attack. It works well when you communicate. Its very similar to AOE2 which made it easy to figure out. 

yeah that’s a good strategy, only having to worry about defense and economic development. I was really bad at 2 eventhough I had a lot of fun playing it. I’m gonna make a real effort to get decent at this one though.

1 hour ago, Cooke said:

One thing that they should do is have trees grow back. Seriously you're advancing through the ages and the trees never come back? 

That could be interesting, but there’s probably balance issues associated with it. Like if you could just replenish the woods around you when advancing to the next age, there wouldn’t be much of an incentive to venture outside your starting area when you’ve exhausted nearby resources. Players would probably take too much of a defensive approach when playing.

9 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

That could be interesting, but there’s probably balance issues associated with it. Like if you could just replenish the woods around you when advancing to the next age, there wouldn’t be much of an incentive to venture outside your starting area when you’ve exhausted nearby resources. Players would probably take too much of a defensive approach when playing.

You still need stone and gold which are finite resources, trees are renewable like the farms from food.