Prolific Japanese retail chain GEO Reomoves all Xbox consoles from sale in its stores, Gamepass cited as the reason

It begins. Xbox is nearing a hard exit in Japan.

amazon Japan soon to be only retailer carrying xbox (Special order online sale only).

https://www.aroged.com/2021/10/03/xbox-due-to-game-pass-a-japanese-chain-has-stopped-selling-consoles/?feed_id=36356&_unique_id=615987de6ef0c

Surprising news came from the Rising Sun this morning. Geo, a well-known Japanese retailer chain, stopped selling Xbox consoles in its stores. The fault, apparently, would be Game Pass, since it is no longer necessary to own an Xbox to play the house titles, which would be a major disincentive to purchase. Currently, the only chains that still sell Xboxes in Japan are Yodobashi Camera and Amazon Japan.

The gamepass effect everybody, retail space is completely wasted on Xbox.

looks like the end of Xbox sale in Japan is coming this generation.

4 hours ago, TLHBO said:

Lemmings kept that quiet :kaz:

because it doesn't work well in games that require minimal lag.

GamePass can't grow without phones, its already pretty stagnant as it is, and lemmings can't seem to provide a reason why there's fucking 60 to 100 million PC users there, MINIMUM.............and GamePass is $5/month on PC.............why hasn't GamePass grown to 40-50-60 million subs already?

Streaming on mobile phones require their $15/month plan (xCloud is only available on GamePass Ultimate).

And the moment they try playing Forza on there, they're not stay subscribed for long.

31 minutes ago, jehurey said:

GamePass can't grow without phones, its already pretty stagnant as it is, and lemmings can't seem to provide a reason why there's fucking 60 to 100 million PC users there, MINIMUM.............and GamePass is $5/month on PC.............why hasn't GamePass grown to 40-50-60 million subs already?

Streaming on mobile phones require their $15/month plan (xCloud is only available on GamePass Ultimate).

And the moment they try playing Forza on there, they're not stay subscribed for long.

Needs more games like 12 Minutes to get people like you putting in the hours :lawl: 

15 hours ago, jehurey said:

Wait, GP can be used on PC and Phones? I thought this was only an Xbox thing. I assume most users are still on Xbox and sort of impressive but seems lower than I would expect given the PC base out there.

I'm still not sure what to make of Gamepass. For gamers, it makes sense for the most part as it currently stands. I just dont know about long term for how viable it is for the industry. there's like a plus for ever minus. On paper it really only benefits the gamer, which is a business model you never really see companies go for. And only gamers for the xbox platform? Well windows I suppose? IDK

Edited by Mr. Impossible
1 minute ago, Mr. Impossible said:

Wait, GP can be used on PC and Phones? I thought this was only an Xbox thing. I assume most users are still on Xbox and sort of impressive but seems lower than I would expect given the PC base out there.

I'm still not sure what to make of Gamepass. For gamers, it makes sense for the most part as it currently stands. I just dont know about long term for how viable it is for the industry. there's like a plus for ever minus. On paper it really only benefits the gamer, which is a business model you never really see companies go for. 

The streaming service is called xCloud.

Originally, they were talking about it as if it was going to be its own thing.  And then, sometime last year they said "ehhhh, we're throwing it in for free on GamePass Ultimate."

GamePass Ultimate is the $15 a month service in which they give you the ability to play games on the Xbox console, and also from the Windows Store on PC, and there's about 80-90% overlap of the game library, but there's a handful of games that are only for the console, and a handful of games that are only playable on PC. And they combine XBL Gold Online service, and they combine xCloud.

Its obvious they took a look at xCloud and realized it can't be a stand-alone service. It just simply isn't good enough.

29 minutes ago, jehurey said:

The streaming service is called xCloud.

Originally, they were talking about it as if it was going to be its own thing.  And then, sometime last year they said "ehhhh, we're throwing it in for free on GamePass Ultimate."

GamePass Ultimate is the $15 a month service in which they give you the ability to play games on the Xbox console, and also from the Windows Store on PC, and there's about 80-90% overlap of the game library, but there's a handful of games that are only for the console, and a handful of games that are only playable on PC. And they combine XBL Gold Online service, and they combine xCloud.

Its obvious they took a look at xCloud and realized it can't be a stand-alone service. It just simply isn't good enough.

This is what I hate about Windows 10. Everything Microsoft really feels like a frankenstein, they take all their shitty products and services and try to merge them into one and it never feels cohesive unlike what their competitors might put out.

I hear a lot of the gamepass pc ports have bugs and problems that stean versions and the like don’t have :mj:

Microsoft is just a disaster at this point. 

Just now, TLHBO said:

This is what I hate about Windows 10. Everything Microsoft really feels like a frankenstein, they take all their shitty products and services and try to merge them into one and it never feels cohesive unlike what their competitors might put out.

I hear a lot of the gamepass pc ports have bugs and problems that stean versions and the like don’t have :mj:

Microsoft is just a disaster at this point. 

I think this is the only reason why Phil Spencer still has a job at this point.

Phil Spencer must gone up to Salty Nutella or whateverthefuckhisname is, and said "we'll try to tie Xbox to Windows this time around"

And their only concern is trying to keep Windows afloat.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I think this is the only reason why Phil Spencer still has a job at this point.

Phil Spencer must gone up to Salty Nutella or whateverthefuckhisname is, and said "we'll try to tie Xbox to Windows this time around"

And their only concern is trying to keep Windows afloat.

And thats microsoft in a nutshell.

They make a push with pc gaming when they thought they could charge hermits an online fee and push GFWL. It flopped and they just abandoned the entire thing, leaving developers to strip out GFWL or have broken games.

Then they try again with the windows store and it flops. So eventually they go running back to steam with their PC ports, and now they want to leverage xbox to make money off pc gaming but xbox doesn’t have the brand power at this point.

It’s a trainwreck but it’s glorious to watch. Couldn’t happen to a worse company, watching them fail over and over like this :glad:

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

And thats microsoft in a nutshell.

They make a push with pc gaming when they thought they could charge hermits an online fee and push GFWL. It flopped and they just abandoned the entire thing, leaving developers to strip out GFWL or have broken games.

Then they try again with the windows store and it flops. So eventually they go running back to steam with their PC ports, and now they want to leverage xbox to make money off pc gaming but xbox doesn’t have the brand power at this point.

It’s a trainwreck but it’s glorious to watch. Couldn’t happen to a worse company, watching them fail over and over like this :glad:

MS Just seems like a souless company. Other than having a stranglehold on the OS market I really can't think of anything to commend them about. The Surface is a decent product but outside of that everything they seem to touch is shit. 

Edit: For better or worse I realize that the Xbox didn't even really come to mind. While it's nothing to get excited about, it's a viable platform and I'd count it as a win or sorts for MS. 

Edited by Mr. Impossible