launch aligned the Xbox Series trails the Xbone by 2 million units, PS5 on pace with PS4

how long can MS sustain a downward trajectory for their brand?

Xbox One: 10 million
Xbox series S/X: 8 million

PS4: 13.5 million
PS5: 13.4 million

FCy_E64XIAAPweb?format=png&name=small

FCy_GPxWQAEdmrX?format=png&name=small

FCy_Je1WQAMi7IR?format=jpg&name=small

the culprit

Exclusive games as of 11 months on the market:

box One

Ryse: Son Of Rome
Dead Rising 3
Killer Instinct
Titanfall
Forza Motorsport 5
Halo MCC
Sunset Overdrive
Forza Horizon 2

Xbox Series X

N/A

3rd party games have especially taken a hit on xbox due to gamepass.

PS at roughly double the share of xbox for 3rd party game sales.

Edited by B C
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aside from Ratchet, and the upcoming FH5, I have been pretty underwhelmed by “next gen” visuals. I think sales number will be more interesting once the system shortages end and we get more games that

I think Plague Tale 2 is going to surprise us next year. Its one of the few announced games that isn't cross gen, and the first one still looks great. Im really not sure what else isn't cross gen that

Yeah, that looks incredible! 

Aside from Ratchet, and the upcoming FH5, I have been pretty underwhelmed by “next gen” visuals. I think sales number will be more interesting once the system shortages end and we get more games that truly optimize their respective hardware. 

• Like 1

Xbox as a brand of consoles is dead. They should re-envision what the Xbox brand is supposed to be.

I think that a Gamepass Box would sell more than a typical Xbox branded console.

If the strategy is all-in on Gamepass then go truly all-in on Gamepass, no need to pretend you're competing with the regular consoles race. Aim for subscriptions, not hardware sales. I know that's what they are doing in a way but they are doing it wrong. 

48 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Xbox as a brand of consoles is dead. They should re-envision what the Xbox brand is supposed to be.

I think that a Gamepass Box would sell more than a typical Xbox branded console.

If the strategy is all-in on Gamepass then go truly all-in on Gamepass, no need to pretend you're competing with the regular consoles race. Aim for subscriptions, not hardware sales. I know that's what they are doing in a way but they are doing it wrong. 

Its already been known since that Epic Games lawsuit versus Apple that Phil Spencer had sent some emails with Tim Sweeney, and they had brought up how he was doing with trying to get GamePass onto Sony and Nintendo platforms.

And Phil Spencer responded back with "Yep, still trying."

That email was back in 2020.

I think Sony and Nintendo believe that they can put Xbox in a chokehold in which they can't get GamePass to grow, and either Microsoft is just going to sit there and lose money on a service that isn't growing, or they'll have to A.) Raise prices, or B.) Save money by taking out the more-expensive games, and the service will just collapse on itself.

Having mobile phones streaming through xCloud isn't going to work.

People need to open the xCloud app and simply attempt to play Forza Horizon 4 in order to see that just isn't going to work. Especially if millions of phone users attempt to log into the service at the same time.

2 hours ago, -GD-X said:

Aside from Ratchet, and the upcoming FH5, I have been pretty underwhelmed by “next gen” visuals. I think sales number will be more interesting once the system shortages end and we get more games that truly optimize their respective hardware. 

Cross gen still being a focus is really going to limit what next gen hardware can do. Its honestly kind of crazy that the biggest upcoming releases for both systems (GoW2, Horizon 2, Halo Infinite, FH5) are all being designed to support last gen systems.

It was obviously going to perform worse. Despite the huge PR blunder for xbox one it was still releasing off the back of the 360, it had some momentum. I remember that year while most gamers were looking towards the PS4 all the women at work were saying how their kids had pestered for the new xbox, and the casuals were eating it up too. This was reflected in the software sales that year I believe where most games sold better on PS4 but kids games and CoD sold better on xbox.

After a gen of nothing though MS has no momentum and a lot of people switched. Somehow casuals still eat this shit up, the generation that got more into gaming with 360 and CoD4 seems to refuse to let go of xbox. It’s funny when you talk to them, they’ll cry down xbox is better than playstation and PC but literally all they play is CoD and Fifa two multiplat games :den:

28 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Cross gen still being a focus is really going to limit what next gen hardware can do. Its honestly kind of crazy that the biggest upcoming releases for both systems (GoW2, Horizon 2, Halo Infinite, FH5) are all being designed to support last gen systems.

Yup. It’s a weird gen. I love the games, but it feels like the ps4.5/Xbone 1.5 gen. 

9 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Yup. It’s a weird gen. I love the games, but it feels like the ps4.5/Xbone 1.5 gen. 

I think Plague Tale 2 is going to surprise us next year. Its one of the few announced games that isn't cross gen, and the first one still looks great. Im really not sure what else isn't cross gen that has the chance to be a graphical beast though.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

I think Plague Tale 2 is going to surprise us next year. Its one of the few announced games that isn't cross gen, and the first one still looks great. Im really not sure what else isn't cross gen that has the chance to be a graphical beast though.

Yeah, that looks incredible! 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Lol it's only been a year. Most of the Q4 games in 2014 were still on PS3/360. Shit, MGS5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider came out in September and November 2015 respectively and they had last gen versions.

7 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Yes, it's crazy that companies are supporting hardware with 3x the install base of the newer models with games they began designing on them. It's like they want to actually make money. 

8 hours ago, TLHBO said:

It was obviously going to perform worse. Despite the huge PR blunder for xbox one it was still releasing off the back of the 360, it had some momentum. I remember that year while most gamers were looking towards the PS4 all the women at work were saying how their kids had pestered for the new xbox, and the casuals were eating it up too. This was reflected in the software sales that year I believe where most games sold better on PS4 but kids games and CoD sold better on xbox.

After a gen of nothing though MS has no momentum and a lot of people switched. Somehow casuals still eat this shit up, the generation that got more into gaming with 360 and CoD4 seems to refuse to let go of xbox. It’s funny when you talk to them, they’ll cry down xbox is better than playstation and PC but literally all they play is CoD and Fifa two multiplat games :den:

i've noticed that too with a lot of people my age. they have no gaming history before COD4, Halo 3, and assassins Creed. 360 is literally all they know, many it was their first console or the console that they really started to get into gaming with.

7 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

Lol it's only been a year. Most of the Q4 games in 2014 were still on PS3/360. Shit, MGS5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider came out in September and November 2015 respectively and they had last gen versions.

I know right, it's like it's his first time experiencing the first year of a new generation. 

9 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

Its really not the same thing. We're talking about the biggest heavy hitters from both Sony and MS releasing on old hardware. And when it comes to Sony, many of those are releasing next year when we approach the 2 year mark when it comes to how old this gen is. I don't remember that happening last gen at all.

12 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Its really not the same thing. We're talking about the biggest heavy hitters from both Sony and MS releasing on old hardware. And when it comes to Sony, many of those are releasing next year when we approach the 2 year mark when it comes to how old this gen is. I don't remember that happening last gen at all.

It did. 

19 hours ago, B C said:

the culprit

This is actually speaking to the opposite, sure total sales are higher but unit sales per owner on Playstation are much lower.

This is what Ubisoft was speaking about 5 years ago, Xbox users are more valuable to them than PlayStation users.

This is quite literally saying PlayStation users do not buy games. This completely backfired on you.

Edited by DynamiteCop
1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

It is the same thing. The crux of your argument was that the next gen consoles are going to be held back by cross-gen game development, but we've seen huge tentpole games come out in this 1-2 year post-new console release period without that being the case. The old console versions are the ones that suffer because they aren't the focus of development and just kind of exist to tap into the market that hasn't upgraded yet. Third-parties just don't have the same financial incentives to push people towards the new consoles that Microsoft and Sony do.

20 hours ago, B C said:

the culprit

Microsoft doesn't care what system you own as long as you have gamepass. 

They'd rather you don't own an xbox with gamepass on PC than buy one of the systems with no gamepass

2 hours ago, Vini said:

Microsoft doesn't care what system you own as long as you have gamepass. 

They'd rather you don't own an xbox with gamepass on PC than buy one of the systems with no gamepass

Lol that logic is retarded. MS doesn't want you to buy Xbox! 2021 lemmings are a trip. 

Edited by Mr. Impossible