Mortal Shell is out on GP

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Sabo said:

Tried it on PS earlier today. I played for a couple hours then turned it off. Don't think I'm going to bother to pick it up again, from what I've played I thought the game sucked.

Damn thats unfortunate. What kind of Souls-like games do you enjoy? I really can't think of any that nail the atmosphere and gameplay mechanics as well as this game.

17 hours ago, Sabo said:

Tried it on PS earlier today. I played for a couple hours then turned it off. Don't think I'm going to bother to pick it up again, from what I've played I thought the game sucked.

I've sort of felt the exact same way after about an hour or so with it tbh

6 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Damn thats unfortunate. What kind of Souls-like games do you enjoy? I really can't think of any that nail the atmosphere and gameplay mechanics as well as this game.

Honestly, the only Souls-like games I enjoy are the ones made by FromSoftware themselves. All the knockoffs are just poor imitators, Mortal Shell is no exception and is honestly the worst out of the bunch IMO.

All of the knockoffs either execute on the mechanics poorly or just straight up misunderstood why certain things are designed the way they are.

Mortal Shell is just another game that simply doesn't get it despite its best efforts. Sure, it's the best at looking the part, the art direction is damn near spot on to a FromSoftware offering.

But the gameplay though? Dude, they didn't even come close LOL...

The combat philosophy behind a Soulsbourne game is rather simple. It can be boiled down to a single core principal. That principal being: Every action, rather offensive or defensive, is a commitment and mistakes will be punished. That forced commitment is what encourages better decision making and awareness because the threat of failure is real and constantly looming. The principal is so simple yet FromSoftware executes on it so elegantly that the entire experience becomes addicting. I can pop-in any of the Soulsbourne games at any time and immediately get absorbed into another full playthrough because I find the core design of these games to be so engaging.

Mortal Shell misunderstands this principal. Actually, Mortal Shell never understood it to begin with. Mortal Shell's main mechanic, Harden,  proves this statement true. Harden is a mechanic that completely contradicts the core principal of a Soulsbourne's combat philosophy. Harden combines offense and defense. Harden removes the forced commitment. Harden removes the need for better decision making. Harden removes the need for awareness.  Harden removes the threat of mistakes. Harden kills the experience because Harden breaks the game.