I think I just found the best Oculus Quest 2 game. Or hell, VR in general.

Finally got Half Life Alyx working right, and played for about 15 minutes. Might have to fiddle around with the movement controls some more to see what is most comfortable for me. I imagine that the special gloves will make picking things off the ground much easier, I just haven't gotten to that yet.

And, I played through the tutorial of Walking Dead Saints and Sinners, and the introductory sequence. Just experiencing that, its already clear that its going to be a more exciting game than any of those Walking Dead adventure games.

I have to say, its pretty crazy how I'm playing this wirelessly, and for both games, I have the graphics settings cranked up, but that's in-game only.

Ever since I started messing with the bandwidth cap in AirLink, the games do not look as crisp as BatmanVR did, so I don't know if I messed up something there. Half Life Alyx has alot of straight lines, so its easy to see very small aliasing, I don't know just how much I can eliminate that playing wirelessly from the computer. Even though I enabled 120Hz mode in the experimental menu, I don't know if its doing that when loading a game. I see SteamVR's menu and it usually only shows that its running 72Hz, and the video games themselves have no such options.  It is smooth, I just don't know if its 72Hz, or 90Hz, or 120Hz.

I actually want to play this in a different room, and I don't know if the router's 5 Ghz signal will be able to do it. Its a wifi modem/router that come with my cable internet service, so its not like its some badass powerful wifi router.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Killer 7 all mixed into one game. The art design and sound are cooler than any other VR I've ever played, this might just turn out to be something special. 

i dig the art style.

The Quest 2 is the last one i'd ever consider getting. Facebook is shit and im not going to be forced to make an account and have all the games I buy be tied to it.

I was able to enable 120Hz airlink, and then going into steam VR recognized 120Hz.

But it felt like it had trouble rendering the environment in Half Life Alyx whenever I was turning my head around quickly. So I dialed everything down to 90Hz.

I even went into the SteamVR menu and messed around with the "global resolution" and increased it to 160%, and that didn't seem to come with any performance penalty (at 90Hz).

10 hours ago, jehurey said:

Finally got Half Life Alyx working right, and played for about 15 minutes. Might have to fiddle around with the movement controls some more to see what is most comfortable for me. I imagine that the special gloves will make picking things off the ground much easier, I just haven't gotten to that yet.

And, I played through the tutorial of Walking Dead Saints and Sinners, and the introductory sequence. Just experiencing that, its already clear that its going to be a more exciting game than any of those Walking Dead adventure games.

I have to say, its pretty crazy how I'm playing this wirelessly, and for both games, I have the graphics settings cranked up, but that's in-game only.

Ever since I started messing with the bandwidth cap in AirLink, the games do not look as crisp as BatmanVR did, so I don't know if I messed up something there. Half Life Alyx has alot of straight lines, so its easy to see very small aliasing, I don't know just how much I can eliminate that playing wirelessly from the computer. Even though I enabled 120Hz mode in the experimental menu, I don't know if its doing that when loading a game. I see SteamVR's menu and it usually only shows that its running 72Hz, and the video games themselves have no such options.  It is smooth, I just don't know if its 72Hz, or 90Hz, or 120Hz.

I actually want to play this in a different room, and I don't know if the router's 5 Ghz signal will be able to do it. Its a wifi modem/router that come with my cable internet service, so its not like its some badass powerful wifi router.

The 120hz mode is for games running natively on Oculus Quest 2. 

Air link requires a good router AND it is recommended to have the ethernet cable plugged directly on your PC. Otherwise you will never get top performance.

You can force resolution up in Steam VR. Go into video settings -> setting per application. You can fix a resolution of your choosing for any game you currently have.

RE4 is really fucking good and I'm not even that big of a fan of the original.

Good thing kicking enemies doesn't start a 2D cutscenes anymore, seeing Leon kicking enemies in third person is a bit weird but still preferable. 

Wow, those blue medallions are so easy to notice now.

And whoever thought of making an actual usable typewriter is a genius. :D Very nice touch.

Somehow I didn't see the chainsaw guy in the village. 0_o 

12 hours ago, jehurey said:

Would be nice if modders could somehow replace the textures and some polygonal objects with the RE4 HD Project textures. The guy behind that one has now put a firm completion date for February.

I'm pretty happy with the visuals considering this is running on Oculus Quest 2. Of course at times you can easily tell it's a 2004 game you're playing in VR but it's still awesome.

And now that I experienced this I can't stop thinking about other GC/PS2 era games I want to see in VR. MGS3, Max Payne 1/2, GTA trilogy and Silent Hill 2/3 came to mind.

5 hours ago, Ramza said:

I'm pretty happy with the visuals considering this is running on Oculus Quest 2. Of course at times you can easily tell it's a 2004 game you're playing in VR but it's still awesome.

And now that I experienced this I can't stop thinking about other GC/PS2 era games I want to see in VR. MGS3, Max Payne 1/2, GTA trilogy and Silent Hill 2/3 came to mind.

Well Zuckerberg already said that San Andreas is coming to the Quest.

I'm not paying money for that, obviously.

But there's a guy who is modding existing PC games for VR. He said he basically programmed his own VR camera engine.

He has already modded the Mafia remake, so I may need to look into that. And he says he's working on Cyberpunk 2077, and assuming that all the controls can be mapped to the controllers, if its possible to play the entire game in VR, then I'm down for that.

Oh, and finally was able to up the internal resolution in Half Life Alyx, and it looks pretty damn good now, with very little aliasing, at 90Hz.

However smooth-turning the camera left and right just doesn't feel good, the analog sticks kinda suck and the game doesn't respond in an analog way.  And there's judder when it moves. Gives me an immediate headache.

24 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Well Zuckerberg already said that San Andreas is coming to the Quest.

I'm not paying money for that, obviously.

But there's a guy who is modding existing PC games for VR. He said he basically programmed his own VR camera engine.

He has already modded the Mafia remake, so I may need to look into that. And he says he's working on Cyberpunk 2077, and assuming that all the controls can be mapped to the controllers, if its possible to play the entire game in VR, then I'm down for that.

Oh, and finally was able to up the internal resolution in Half Life Alyx, and it looks pretty damn good now, with very little aliasing, at 90Hz.

However smooth-turning the camera left and right just doesn't feel good, the analog sticks kinda suck and the game doesn't respond in an analog way.  And there's judder when it moves. Gives me an immediate headache.

Hopefully that VR port isn't based on the awful remaster that just came out. :puke:

Plenty of VR modders out there. You can get Half Life 1 VR for Oculus Quest 2 on sidequest (i think). And I know there's Quake, Alien Isolation and DOOM VR mods out there.

It baffles me that barely any publisher port old games into VR, it's so easy and cheap to make some modders in their basement can do it with ease. It's easy money at low risks. Pretty safe way to test out the VR market.

If click turning doesn't bother you, you can go with that. It's easier to render graphics that way, it usually help keep the framerates higher.

1 hour ago, Ramza said:

Hopefully that VR port isn't based on the awful remaster that just came out. :puke:

Plenty of VR modders out there. You can get Half Life 1 VR for Oculus Quest 2 on sidequest (i think). And I know there's Quake, Alien Isolation and DOOM VR mods out there.

It baffles me that barely any publisher port old games into VR, it's so easy and cheap to make some modders in their basement can do it with ease. It's easy money at low risks. Pretty safe way to test out the VR market.

If click turning doesn't bother you, you can go with that. It's easier to render graphics that way, it usually help keep the framerates higher.

yeah i'm click turning at 30-degrees, and I originally selected my weapon hand to be left-handed.

And what that did was it changed my teleport movement to the RIGHT analog stick.

So I ended up putting the weapon hand back to my right-hand, so that the movement can now be in the left analog, that's just 20 years of gaming habit.

Gonna be the AMVR head pad to help with the strap. Since its only $21.

And, I heard there are third-party USB Active cables that are cheaper than the Oculus Link. I might get one of those if its nice and long, because my newest USB connectors are on the back of my computer, so I might need like a 12 to 15 foot cable if I really want to play PC games at the highest possible settings.

I hear KIWI is a solid third-party accessory seller on Amazon.

30 minutes ago, jehurey said:

yeah i'm click turning at 30-degrees, and I originally selected my weapon hand to be left-handed.

And what that did was it changed my teleport movement to the RIGHT analog stick.

So I ended up putting the weapon hand back to my right-hand, so that the movement can now be in the left analog, that's just 20 years of gaming habit.

Gonna be the AMVR head pad to help with the strap. Since its only $21.

And, I heard there are third-party USB Active cables that are cheaper than the Oculus Link. I might get one of those if its nice and long, because my newest USB connectors are on the back of my computer, so I might need like a 12 to 15 foot cable if I really want to play PC games at the highest possible settings.

I hear KIWI is a solid third-party accessory seller on Amazon.

I bought a five meter long cable at Bestbuy and it wasn't the official link cable. It was only like $20 cheaper though.

Man the straps absolutely suck ass, the headset just isn't comfortable at all to me. I'll need to upgrade too because I can't play for more than 30 mins without wanting to remove the helmet out of discomfort. I need some kind of padding in the front and replace the straps with something less cheap.

6 hours ago, Ramza said:

@jehurey

fuck me, i don't think i have the nerve to play that or Resident Evil 7 in VR, especially since RE7 is designed for first person.

I can't handle scary looking characters staring directly into your eyes, its too scary for me.

I wonder if nVidia's DLSS tech is going to work with providing an image for the VR headset.

I guess it does, since nVIdia already had a press release about DLSS working for No Man's Sky in VR.

NVIDIA DLSS will also be available in No Man’s Sky’s virtual reality mode, where DLSS doubles VR performance at the Ultra graphics preset, maintaining 90 FPS on an Oculus Quest 2 with a GeForce RTX 3080.

Cyberpunk being modded for VR?

.........with Ray-tracing turned on?

.........in VR at 90 frames per second?

Shiiiit, that's gonna require some miracles, even with my RTX 3090.

I think DLSS doesn't work for most VR games right now but I could be wrong. No Man Sky being an exception.

AMD also have their technology and it works with a few VR games from what I've seen, it's not quite the same as DLSS but you can almost double your framerates and it works on lower end cards too. I don't remember what it's called.

Current tech is not ready for Cyberpunk VR haha. 

I did some research on buying a replacement head strap for the Quest 2, and I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the Kiwi Elite strap, when I saw it climb in price during this week.

And then I had read about the BoboVR M2 head strap, and how its actually a "Halo" design similar to the PSVR.

It forms a ring that goes around the crown of your head, and places the majority of the weight there, and the actual Quest 2 display unit doesn't have to be squeezed into your face, it just hangs from the halo. So the weight is distributed in a much more balanced way, and most importantly you're not squeezing the front of your face.

I was able to play fast, manic games like Headmaster on PSVR for extended periods of time because of the way the headset isn't pushing up against my face.

$39 for that, and then I saw they had came out with an upgraded version recently, that improved the padding, and improved the plastic (because some people were complainint about small cracks), and it add a battery to the back and it connected via magnets, so it snaps on really cool.

Cost $20 more, $59.

Now the chances of me playing VR for 4-5 hours are going to be slim, but I figured why not, and it also works as a counterweight.

H03d9791e1b1042edac3558703b9fe813o.jpg

The only problem is that it might not arrive until early January, they sold out their initial batch when it released in November.

I'm going to keep an eye out for BoboVR, they have some interesting add-ons. The ventilation fan add-on seems like a good idea, but people are complaining that its current design is flawed. I hope they work on a revision.

I saw a guide on how to improve the video quality when you record video on the quest 2, about as much as possible without it adversely affecting performance.

And then, I didn't really see any proper guide to how to record video of PC VR games when using airlink, other than turn on recording while using SteamVR.

But I wanted to show off BatmanVR, and that game runs without me needing to get into SteamVR. So I just hit record in the Quest 2 menu before I entered airlink.

Even though my headset was configured for 90hz, the youtube processed the video to 48fps, for some odd reason.

Edited by jehurey
  • Upvote 1

Been playing Lucky's Tale. Fun and cute little VR platformer so far. It's not as good as Astro Bot but it's not far off either, surprisingly because I didn't expect it to be this good.

Gonna post some random gameplay footage I captured. This is running natively on Meta Quest 2. Looks quite good in the headset. @jehurey

Edited by Ramza
9 hours ago, Ramza said:

Been playing Lucky's Tale. Fun and cute little VR platformer so far. It's not as good as Astro Bot but it's not far off either, surprisingly because I didn't expect it to be this good.

Gonna post some random gameplay footage I captured. This is running natively on Meta Quest 2. Looks quite good in the headset. @jehurey

I should try it out. I had downloaded Moss onto the headset, because I had read it was one of the best games available.

Even though some games run fine on the headset, I just notice a comparison video of Tetris Effect VR between PC VR and Quest 2, and I'm downloading the PC version, because I want all of the pretty particle effects. On some games they really do strip down the texture effects, and just have flat textures.

2 hours ago, jehurey said:

I should try it out. I had downloaded Moss onto the headset, because I had read it was one of the best games available.

Even though some games run fine on the headset, I just notice a comparison video of Tetris Effect VR between PC VR and Quest 2, and I'm downloading the PC version, because I want all of the pretty particle effects. On some games they really do strip down the texture effects, and just have flat textures.

I finished it today, it's pretty solid overall. Definitely worth a download. Moss is great but I'm not sure how well it run on Oculus.

That's very common with PCVR ports on Oculus Quest 1. But a few games always manage to impress me with how much they make due with the weak hardware, usually it's exclusives that manages that feat though.

Playing Resist right now, it's a open world game with Spiderman like traversal mechanics. Seem promising, I will post a video later.

I was looking at the newer Vives to see if it would be worth upgrading as a way to get back to VR, and fuck if they're not expensive :| The Vive Pro 2 is the latest and greatest and is apparently a beast hardware wise, utilizing a 5K display at 120hz, though im not sure my PC would be able to make the most of that. The problem is that the full kit they're selling is a whopping $1400 :| The headset by itself is $800, and apparently it might be backwards compatible with some of the older VIVE hardware? Im trying to figure out if my base stations & controllers from the original VIVE would be compatible with it. If so then I could see myself caving.

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I was looking at the newer Vives to see if it would be worth upgrading as a way to get back to VR, and fuck if they're not expensive :| The Vive Pro 2 is the latest and greatest and is apparently a beast hardware wise, utilizing a 5K display at 120hz, though im not sure my PC would be able to make the most of that. The problem is that the full kit they're selling is a whopping $1400 :| The headset by itself is $800, and apparently it might be backwards compatible with some of the older VIVE hardware? Im trying to figure out if my base stations & controllers from the original VIVE would be compatible with it. If so then I could see myself caving.

Its just not worth it to buy those kinds of VR headsets right now.

At this point, I am starting to believe that Sony's next VR headset might actually be designed to be played with either a PS5 or PC because the type of OLED screens that they are demonstrating, with 4K to each eye, indicates that there is no way for their PSVR2 to be $399 or lower.

Its looking like its going to be a $500+ device.

Also I saw a comparison review between the Oculus Quest 2 vs the Valve Index, and I had no idea that the Valve Index has alot of issues with their build materials (Goodluck to those first-round of Steamdeck owners, LOL)

It makes me think that Facebook is definitely eating cost with the Quest 2, because seems like its well built.

but Facebook's next VR hardware doesn't seem like its designed for gaming, but rather social and business use. So people are speculating that the Quest 3 is going to happen until AFTER that.

That's why I finally bought a $200 64GB Quest 2, because I don't think PC VR hardware is going to be improved for the next 18-24 months.