I think I just found the best Oculus Quest 2 game. Or hell, VR in general.

8 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I was looking at the newer Vives to see if it would be worth upgrading as a way to get back to VR, and fuck if they're not expensive :| The Vive Pro 2 is the latest and greatest and is apparently a beast hardware wise, utilizing a 5K display at 120hz, though im not sure my PC would be able to make the most of that. The problem is that the full kit they're selling is a whopping $1400 :| The headset by itself is $800, and apparently it might be backwards compatible with some of the older VIVE hardware? Im trying to figure out if my base stations & controllers from the original VIVE would be compatible with it. If so then I could see myself caving.

Just get a Quest 2 128gb and connect it to your PC. The resolution of the lenses are high enough (4k+?) and you can go up to 120hz.

You might need to buy some extra accessories like a link cable or the elite strap for maximum comfort but even with those extra purchases it's still a cheaper proposition than any other headset currently on the market.

Quest 2 has co camera or other bullshit, really easy to use just about anywhere. I think on practicality alone it's the best headset on the market.

Cons: Battery life is short and headset is not very comfortable for long sessions of play without extra padding on the front and an elite strap.

Pros: Cheapest price, high resolution, great controllers, can be used stand alone, exclusives games on Rift/Quest store.

If money wasn't an issue I'd buy an Index but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the Quest. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Killer 7 all mixed into one game. The art design and sound are cooler than any other VR I've ever played, this might just turn out to be something special. 

i dig the art style.

The Quest 2 is the last one i'd ever consider getting. Facebook is shit and im not going to be forced to make an account and have all the games I buy be tied to it.

2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Just get a Quest 2 128gb and connect it to your PC. The resolution of the lenses are high enough (4k+?) and you can go up to 120hz.

You might need to buy some extra accessories like a link cable or the elite strap for maximum comfort but even with those extra purchases it's still a cheaper proposition than any other headset currently on the market.

Quest 2 has co camera or other bullshit, really easy to use just about anywhere. I think on practicality alone it's the best headset on the market.

Cons: Battery life is short and headset is not very comfortable for long sessions of play without extra padding on the front and an elite strap.

Pros: Cheapest price, high resolution, great controllers, can be used stand alone, exclusives games on Rift/Quest store.

If money wasn't an issue I'd buy an Index but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the Quest. 

Nah, the Quest isn't an option for me. I just don't want anything to do with facebook anymore, including opening another one of their accounts.

5 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Nah, the Quest isn't an option for me. I just don't want anything to do with facebook anymore, including opening another one of their accounts.

I don't see how it's different from any other account with another company but it's your choice.

Just now, Twinblade said:

I just refuse to support Facebook TBH.

I get it, that's fine.

Personally I'd support anyone who pushes VR gaming into the mainstream, even if it was Satan himself. 

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I just refuse to support Facebook TBH.

except you already had an existing facebook account.

you're not given them anything you didn't already give them years prior.

your account, almost certainly, has not been deleted, they've still retained whatever existing information you have.

Now, at this point, I've probably taken about $400 worth of video games that they sell through their store, at no cost to me.

What are they going to do, punish me by blocking my facebook account? LOL

I really don't understand this line of thinking, because you are not accomplishing anything, but in your mind, you genuinely believe that you are.

• Haha 1

@jehurey

Played a bunch of non official ports on my Quest 2 using Sidequest, Quake 1 and 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

For the amount of trouble I went through to make them work this really wasn't worth it. They all play like absolute shit, menus weren't meant for VR and are super annoying to navigate, the hit detections and gunplay were a fucking joke. 

Or I couldn't get them to work (Half Life and DOOM/DOOM3 didn't work, I'm guessing I need the original games files on my headset)

I have a Virtual Boy emulator though, I need to get some roms. That could be interesting. I remember playing the OG at Toys R Us when I was a kid. haha

On a more positive note Sidequest is awesome. Pavlov Shack is a free game and it's probably the best online VR shooter on the market, the Quest 2 version looks pretty decent too.

16 minutes ago, Ramza said:

@jehurey

Played a bunch of non official ports on my Quest 2 using Sidequest, Quake 1 and 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

For the amount of trouble I went through to make them work this really wasn't worth it. They all play like absolute shit, menus weren't meant for VR and are super annoying to navigate, the hit detections and gunplay were a fucking joke. 

Or I couldn't get them to work (Half Life and DOOM/DOOM3 didn't work, I'm guessing I need the original games files on my headset)

I have a Virtual Boy emulator though, I need to get some roms. That could be interesting. I remember playing the OG at Toys R Us when I was a kid. haha

On a more positive note Sidequest is awesome. Pavlov Shack is a free game and it's probably the best online VR shooter on the market, the Quest 2 version looks pretty decent too.

I never used SideQuest.

I ended up using a Windows program that connects to the Quest 2 headset and it also works like a Napster/Torrent download, and it gets the game from a server (and I think they have private Mega servers that they have an updated list), downloads it, and automatically installs it on the free space of the Quest 2. These are already cracked APK files,

Called Free-for-All-In-One (FFAIO).

And then they have another app that connects to download servers to get PC games, already cracked. And you have to extract the files and perform an install, or simply put the files somewhere, and have Steam find and add the .exe to the library so you can find it in SteamVR.

Even though I have Skyrim VR downloaded, I haven't started it up yet. And even then, I hear that I should download a whole bunch of modes to help improve the VR functionality.

Got my BoboVR M2 Pro headstrap yesterday and put it on. Its pretty damn good. And it definitely removes the pressure off of my face and around the temple areas of my head. My only complaint is that I have alot of hair on my back, and the back pad that's grabbing the back of my head is slipping because of all of that hair. So I have to readjust after a while. but the battery is quite helpful as a counter-weight. And it just visually looks perfect, same white plastic and black padding.

52 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I never used SideQuest.

I ended up using a Windows program that connects to the Quest 2 headset and it also works like a Napster/Torrent download, and it gets the game from a server (and I think they have private Mega servers that they have an updated list), downloads it, and automatically installs it on the free space of the Quest 2. These are already cracked APK files,

Called Free-for-All-In-One (FFAIO).

And then they have another app that connects to download servers to get PC games, already cracked. And you have to extract the files and perform an install, or simply put the files somewhere, and have Steam find and add the .exe to the library so you can find it in SteamVR.

Even though I have Skyrim VR downloaded, I haven't started it up yet. And even then, I hear that I should download a whole bunch of modes to help improve the VR functionality.

Got my BoboVR M2 Pro headstrap yesterday and put it on. Its pretty damn good. And it definitely removes the pressure off of my face and around the temple areas of my head. My only complaint is that I have alot of hair on my back, and the back pad that's grabbing the back of my head is slipping because of all of that hair. So I have to readjust after a while. but the battery is quite helpful as a counter-weight. And it just visually looks perfect, same white plastic and black padding.

I'd try that but my laptop has been an utter failure for VR games. It's weird since I can play some nice looking regular flatscreen games at a smooth FPS. 

Skyrim VR is fantastic and you don't need any mods. I played it on PSVR with the dualshock 4 and loved it. Not saying there aren't some cool mods but the game came a long way since launch, Bethesda supported it with constant updates and small quality of life improvements for years after it initially came around. I think it's fine as is.

• 4 weeks later...

@jehurey & @Ramza recently saw you can get RTCW on oculus? Either of you know how/what is needed?

i bought the oculus on like 11/3, I don’t think it’s been turned on since 12/1. I can return it thru the 16th, but I want to try this out before I make a decision. 

if some of my friends had one I might be more inclined to keep it, but there aren’t really any fun single player experiences that aren’t quick gimmicks or get boring after a few moments. Have no interest in replaying re4 

1 minute ago, ghostz said:

@jehurey & @Ramza recently saw you can get RTCW on oculus? Either of you know how/what is needed?

i bought the oculus on like 11/3, I don’t think it’s been turned on since 12/1. I can return it thru the 16th, but I want to try this out before I make a decision. 

if some of my friends had one I might be more inclined to keep it, but there aren’t really any fun single player experiences that aren’t quick gimmicks or get boring after a few moments. Have no interest in replaying re4 

Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

What is that, like a game from 2003?

I don't see it on the Oculus store, so its not a game that was ported for Oculus, but appears to be a mod of the PC version of Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

So that means you would need to own the game on PC, on a PC that can run it, it would have to have mods to make it work in VR, and you'd have to have some other programs in which they create executable files in which they load up and work with your VR headset.

And then you'd need to connect your headset to your PC using a link cable, or a wireless Airlink (which requires a wifi router that can do 5Ghz signal).

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, ghostz said:

You need to get sideapp for that. There's a demo on there. Setting up Sideapp is a bit of a pain though.

I played it and I hated it, the menus aren't made for VR and are annoying to navigate, the gunplay doesn't work well at all in VR due to the weird hit detection and the controls are awkward.

The only classic game I'd actually bother to play on Sideapp is Half-Life 1 (which I haven't tried yet). It just seems like a better port.

I tried Quake 1 and 2 as well and it was the same as RTCW, pretty shitty.

If that's why you're keeping it around, I'd say it's time for you to return it.

35 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

What is that, like a game from 2003?

I don't see it on the Oculus store, so its not a game that was ported for Oculus, but appears to be a mod of the PC version of Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

So that means you would need to own the game on PC, on a PC that can run it, it would have to have mods to make it work in VR, and you'd have to have some other programs in which they create executable files in which they load up and work with your VR headset.

And then you'd need to connect your headset to your PC using a link cable, or a wireless Airlink (which requires a wifi router that can do 5Ghz signal).

You don't need a PC, it runs on the headset directly. Just need to load it up with sideapp.

36 minutes ago, ghostz said:

Hmm, I downloaded side app but not sure really what to do with it, I’ll read up. Any games worth playing using side app?

Pavlov Shack is a great Counter-Strike like MP shooter and it's free.

39 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Pavlov Shack is a great Counter-Strike like MP shooter and it's free.

Yeah I have that via app labs or whayever. Is that the same thing as side loading?

its okay, some of the better graphics on oculus, I just couldn’t figure out how to fucking reload lol there doesn’t seem to be a tutorial, all I played was vs zombies tho

4 minutes ago, ghostz said:

Yeah I have that via app labs or whayever. Is that the same thing as side loading?

its okay, some of the better graphics on oculus, I just couldn’t figure out how to fucking reload lol there doesn’t seem to be a tutorial, all I played was vs zombies tho

Yeah, sorry I messed up the name.

Lmao, the left pouch on your belt is the ammo pouch. Just grab near your waist.

• Thanks 1

I ended up being able to finally beat the last stage on the single player Journey mode of Tetris Effect VR.

Because I just wanted to, I played it concurrently through the native Oculus Quest 2 version, and through my PC through Airlink wireless.

Was able to finally beat the last stage with the PC version after losing throughout the past few days.

I had also been recording some gameplay to compare just how big of a difference it is to have games running natively on the Quest 2, and how much improved they are when you have an adequate PC to power the game.

I've finally been able to edit the video so that they are easy comparisons to see.  And this footage isn't perfect, for starters I've tweaked the Quest 2's recording quality as much as possible without it affecting gameplay, and therefore the framerate in the Quest 2 native video is not showing the proper 80/90Hz that I am seeing in the headset.

Mermaid Cove stage running native on Quest 2

Mermaid Cove stage running on PC VR (this footage is actually cropped+zoomed footage from a Windows Desktop screen, so the video quality isn't really indicative of just how crisp and clean it looks.

Final Stage Metamorphosis running natively on Quest 2 (I shit the bed at the end).

Final Stage Metamorphosis running on PC VR, and I actually beat it and get the ending + credits.

• Upvote 1