Deathloop is Gamespot’s GOTY

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/game-of-the-year-2021-deathloop/1100-6499014/ 

Im stuck in a cycle right now where I want to play the game, but then I realize that it’s a roguelike, and then I lose the desire to check it out.

i still can't decide if you'll like it or not. the level design and gameplay variety are top tier. also, you have 2 extra lives per time of day (so, if you lose 2 lives in the morning, they are back for a noon run). also, you can restart an afternoon/evening run, without losing the progress you made throughout the day (just make sure you do it before actually losing all of your lives). the 4 different areas offer variety and they change (characters/obstacles/new routes), depending on the time of the day. the main con is that the game dropkicks you with information overload, at first, and you will replay all 4 areas numerous times. there's no avoiding that. so, while it's not like hades, where you play the same area over and over, you will still get a lot of deja vu. another con, the story doesn't go anywhere. as for juliana, i enjoyed most of her encounters, except near the end. the good thing about fighting her is you get skill upgrades you can infuse (you keep everything you infuse). if her appearances bother you (and they will), you can make it so only your fiends or the AI can control her. some online players will 1 shot kill you (which is annoying af). i'd say...buy a hard copy of the game for $25-$30 and sell it if you don't like it.

• Upvote 1

unlike universally praised franchises...like say it takes two or fh5...i can see this title being pretty polarizing. if you don't experiment with all of the different paths, secrets and styles of play, i can see this being too repetitive. i definitely DO NOT RECOMMEND this to those who like to run n' gun. though, it's occasionally fun to use the havoc slab (makes you a tough mf).

38 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

not yet, but i never said deathloop is better. you haven't beaten deathloop, so your claim is pretty ignorant.

it just shows my confidence that a fps could never capture what it takes two does. It takes two is multiple genres, and includes the best from all of them 

30 minutes ago, ghostz said:

it just shows my confidence that a fps could never capture what it takes two does. It takes two is multiple genres, and includes the best from all of them 

deathloop mixes multiple genres lol.

2 hours ago, ghostz said:

Not what I mean. It takes two is third person adventure, shooter, 2d fighter, platformer, and so much more. 

That’s great and all. I’ll play it and see how it stacks up against Deathloop.