Steam Winter Sale megathread

10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Steam's holiday sales stopped being relevant when EGS came along and shit on them with far better deals.

And yet the vast majority of PC gamers choose STEAM over EGS better deals and free games. Hmm, I wonder why.

29 minutes ago, Ramza said:

And yet the vast majority of PC gamers choose STEAM over EGS better deals and free games. Hmm, I wonder why.

Its because PC gamers are retarded in their platform allegiance. This is the same faction that for years refused to buy EA and Ubisoft games just to avoid having to install their respective store clients. Eventually they caved in and the same will inevitably happen with EGS.

EGS straight up drops you $10 everytime you buy a game during their holiday sale. Not only that but they're giving out a free game EVERY day until the new year.

Steam doesn't even try to compete with that.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Its because PC gamers are retarded in their platform allegiance. This is the same faction that for years refused to buy EA and Ubisoft games just to avoid having to install their respective store clients. Eventually they caved in and the same will inevitably happen with EGS.

EGS straight up drops you $10 everytime you buy a game during their holiday sale. Not only that but they're giving out a free game EVERY day until the new year.

The correct answer is that EGS is a lazy, half assed, barebone store with no interesting or useful feature nor sense of community. 

People are literally willing to pay more just to stay on the better platform.

The day EGS will understand that they need to offer more than just good prices and free handouts is the day they might actually compete with STEAM. It's clear they don't have a clue though, just like you.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Ramza said:

The correct answer is that EGS is a lazy, half assed, barebone store with no interesting or useful feature nor sense of community. 

People are literally willing to pay more just to stay on the better platform.

The day EGS will understand that they need to offer more than just good prices and free handouts is the day they might actually compete with STEAM. It's clear they don't have a clue though, just like you.

Whatever floats your boat :D Im not going to pass up on good deals just because of some infatuation with steam as a platform. If I want to buy a PC game ill gladly choose EGS if I know im going to save money. And thanks to the many free games they consistently give out, i've discovered quite a few gems that I normally wouldn't have bothered playing.

Just now, Twinblade said:

Whatever floats your boat :D Im not going to pass up on good deals just because of some infatuation with steam as a platform. If I want to buy a PC game ill gladly choose EGS if I know im going to save money. And thanks to the many free games they consistently give out, i've discovered quite a few gems that I normally wouldn't have bothered playing.

You know I'm right though. :face: 

7 hours ago, Twinblade said:

No it's because people know that the free games and free vouchers are only because Epic is desperate , and if Epic was ever put into the dominant position Steam is in all of this would stop and you'd likely see consumers get fucked. There's a real "Microsoft" kind of vibe about Epic.

The ubisoft and EA clients are shit too. Shit clients, shit deals, mostly just shit that nobody bothers with. The only good EA did was making refunds normal.

Ironically Gog who never forced their client on people was one I would choose to install.

3 hours ago, TLHBO said:

No it's because people know that the free games and free vouchers are only because Epic is desperate , and if Epic was ever put into the dominant position Steam is in all of this would stop and you'd likely see consumers get fucked. There's a real "Microsoft" kind of vibe about Epic.

The ubisoft and EA clients are shit too. Shit clients, shit deals, mostly just shit that nobody bothers with. The only good EA did was making refunds normal.

Ironically Gog who never forced their client on people was one I would choose to install.

Actually there were quite a few GOG exclusives. Gwent and Thronebreaker among them. I think there were early access periods for The Witcher games (or their DLCs) that could only be accessed through GOG.

twinblade still with his stupid EGS wins stories :D   the core part of the steam community will remain on steam, you have to be retarded to not understand this.

EGS is a free game dispenser for most people so far and the client has A LOT OF WORK to do to be seen as competition. but then again origin for example isn't seen as competition as well. 

steam is just the better platform (even with all the trash). I still buy games on steam sales, they can't get any cheaper, it's like pirating tbh. :aitch: 

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Actually there were quite a few GOG exclusives. Gwent and Thronebreaker among them. I think there were early access periods for The Witcher games (or their DLCs) that could only be accessed through GOG.

We weren't even discussing exclusives.

Steam was the OG, they came out with a service that reinvigorated PC gaming.

Along comes Gog, what do they offer? they start with mostly classic games which were either lost to time or unplayble, that set them apart. They've since expanded their service, they offered good deals, I haven't used them too much recently but I specifically remember their weekend deals always being worth checking out. Lastly we get to their biggest selling point - No DRM. This firmly sets them apart from Steam and is something worth using the service for. They have an optional client, they never force it on you but I was happy to install it because for the most part Gog is a good service.

What does Ubisoft offer? fuck all. Fuck all but "fuck you install our client and sign up for our service if you want to play our games", this was the case even if you owned the game on steam. Shit deals, shit prices, shit library :poop: it was worthless garbage and existed only to give Ubisoft more profit and control.

Even EA provided some usefulness by offering refunds.

Epic as a service only offers freebies in the hopes that you eventually buy in and use them as your primary store. They offer you freebies in the hopes that you make them the dominant platform. There's nothing in it other than bribery, there's nothing that makes this service appealing, and with Tim Sweeneys ultra greedy attitude, the NFTs, the paying developers to keep their games off other platforms, I'd rather not support them.

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

Epic as a service only offers freebies in the hopes that you eventually buy in and use them as your primary store

This is a silly argument that only applies to hermits that are dumb enough to be Steam/Valve fanboys.

A PC user, a genuine PC user............doesn't have a "primary" store.

That's the entire point of having a PC in the first place. Its designed to get multiple things from multiple places.

As long as EPIC has some game that I would want to play.........I don't care about anything else on the store.

It takes me 1 minute to download the Epic Game Store, and 1 minute to install it.

Once I buy the game, its on a folder on my PC's hard drive. Why would I care if its under a "Steam" folder or a "Epic Games" folder?

Also, the Uplay store, now called Uconnect, is where eventually all the major Ubisoft games will be on sale with their DLC on sale as well, and with each purchase you get points, and you can trade-in those points to get one-time discount codes for your purchase. So, I get the cheapest AssCreed and Watch Dogs purchases from there (assuming Epic Games hasn't given me the base game for free).

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

This is a silly argument that only applies to hermits that are dumb enough to be Steam/Valve fanboys.

That's the entire point of having a PC in the first place. Its designed to get multiple things from multiple places.

As long as EPIC has some game that I would want to play.........I don't care about anything else on the store.

It takes me 1 minute to download the Epic Game Store, and 1 minute to install it.

Once I buy the game, its on a folder on my PC's hard drive. Why would I care if its under a "Steam" folder or a "Epic Games" folder?

Also, the Uplay store, now called Uconnect, is where eventually all the major Ubisoft games will be on sale with their DLC on sale as well, and with each purchase you get points, and you can trade-in those points to get one-time discount codes for your purchase. So, I get the cheapest AssCreed and Watch Dogs purchases from there (assuming Epic Games hasn't given me the base game for free).

I disagree, moving from platform to platform is really annoying. I prefer to have my achievements, games and friends under one roof than spread out across multiple and worse platforms. It's the same with consoles, you invest in an ecosystem and you want to stick to it. 

I mean, if you don't care that's fine too but don't go around telling people that it's because they are fanboys, there are practical reasons at stake here.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

PC is designed to be free and open, not necessarily getting multiple things from multiple places. Trusting another service with my data, entrusting another service with my game collection for long time support, signing up and splitting my library between 2 clients....all of this is extra work for me. The company needs to justify why I should do that.

Gog offered a good service, good deals, and no DRM was a unique and pro-consumer selling point. What did Epic do exactly? pay developers to keep their games off other platforms? amazing, that's really won me over. No I'm sorry but the MIcrosoft approach to gaming i.e. pay developers to take away consumer choice isn't going to impress me. If they make their own games exclusive fair enough but paying for other games to be cancelled or delayed on rival stores just pisses me off.

Also I've never not once seen a better deal on Uplay than is available online but maybe that's just me. The service seems pretty poor from top to bottom, with bad download speeds too. I'll pass on that.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, TLHBO said:

....all of this is extra work for me.

you don't have much experience with using PC's then.

I'm not exhausted by a few different mouse-clicks in another program.

Its a PC..........its supposed to have every program that you need.

You've checked out a game through the Epic Game Store, haven't you? What private information could they possibly be getting from you?

PC have these things called "shortcuts". Icons end up being in your start menu or desktop.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Epic is giving away Mutant Year Zero for free, a highly acclaimed indie strategy game

Steam's free offering?

image.thumb.png.d5c731da3baa2b328af4d2677800a108.png

A FUCKING STICKER :kaz: 

Mutant Year Zero fucking owns. Loved that game.

You don't know how to make money with the steam market so that's fine. I made a like a hundred + dollar of profit last year and you're losing it over old bargain bin games. Granted that shit takes time and effort so it's not the same.