I saw Matrix 4 again

Can we keep gender/politics out this time so we can discuss the film

After seeing it for a second time I'm convinced that there's a great film here buried under mediocre execution. I don't know if Covid got in the way of production or what, but the new high speed camera slo mo effect is weird, makes it look like a soap opera, and the fight choreography is awful. 

Other than that I liked everything else. The OG characters motivations make sense. The meta aspect is actually pretty small and relevant to the story but it got blown out of proportion online. I like the idea of machines turning the first 3 films into some VR video game so that those who start doubting their reality in the Matrix can be fed this video game for a cathartic "waking up" experience so they don't have to pursue those feelings in their life. 

Keanu still got Neo down here with all his nervous geek energy from the old films. And the happy ending for the pair is a more fitting end to the whole story I think. 

Edited by Vini
1 hour ago, Vini said:

Can we keep gender/politics out this time so we can discuss the film

After seeing it for a second time I'm convinced that there's a great film here buried under mediocre execution. I don't know if Covid got in the way of production or what, but the new high speed camera slo mo effect is weird, makes it look like a soap opera, and the fight choreography is awful. 

Other than that I liked everything else. The OG characters motivations make sense. The meta aspect is actually pretty small and relevant to the story but it got blown out of proportion online. I like the idea of machines turning the first 3 films into some VR video game so that those who start doubting their reality in the Matrix can be fed this video game for a cathartic "waking up" experience so they don't have to pursue those feelings in their life. 

Keanu still got Neo down here with all his nervous geek energy from the old films. And the happy ending for the pair is a more fitting end to the whole story I think. 

You can blame Cooke for getting your previous post locked.  

• Like 1

It started strong but fell apart hard in the last half.

A more interesting movie would have been if it spent much longer in the Matrix with Neo getting himself out. And just leave Trinity dead

I think the big mistake is tying the franchise to the Wachowskis, especially after they butchered 2 and 3. I think other writers and directors could do way more interesting stuff with the property

Edited by Voidler
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, Voidler said:

It started strong but fell apart hard in the last half.

A more interesting movie would have been if it spent much longer in the Matrix with Neo getting himself out. And just leave Trinity dead

I think the big mistake is tying the franchise to the Wachowskis, especially after they butchered 2 and 3. I think other writers and directors could do way more interesting stuff with the property

they havent made a good movie since the original matrix but studios keep giving them money to make more garbage. Kind of like M Night, except hes made a few good ones after his drought. 

2 minutes ago, Cooke said:

they havent made a good movie since the original matrix but studios keep giving them money to make more garbage. Kind of like M Night, except hes made a few good ones after his drought. 

V for Vendetta was enjoyable. :happysad: 

The answer to the fighting scenes is fairly simple:

Keanu Reeves cannot move the same way he did when he was in his early 30's. So they no longer have the camera pulled back to show the entire body performing acrobatics.

The camera is now pulled closer, showing almost nothing below the hips. And, if you notice, Neo's enemies are just doing all of these moves and colliding with Keanu's forearms.

If you go back to him fighting those two guys in John Wick 3, you'll notice that he's not moving his body that much, while the two guys are flipping and getting thrown all over, and they are the ones selling the fight as being visceral and brutal.

Also, it seems like they filmed the fight scenes at 30fps. It doesn't have a very cinematic blur for some reason.

Edited by jehurey