PC Gamer - Why 2021 was the worst year for PC gaming

I doubt you'll find anybody that doesn't think the current market for GPUs is the worst it has ever been. I'd do pretty much anything to get a 3080 at MSRP so I can just not have to worry about this shit for a few years.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

I doubt you'll find anybody that doesn't think the current market for GPUs is the worst it has ever been. I'd do pretty much anything to get a 3080 at MSRP so I can just not have to worry about this shit for a few years.

The other problem is that even if you somehow manage to get a card like a 3080p at msrp, your reward is getting to play new games (like Dying Light 2) at a measly 1080p. The price/performance just isn’t what it used to be, consoles are simply a much better deal and have made PC gaming a less appealing option in every way.

19 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

The other problem is that even if you somehow manage to get a card like a 3080p at msrp, your reward is getting to play new games (like Dying Light 2) at a measly 1080p. The price/performance just isn’t what it used to be, consoles are simply a much better deal and have made PC gaming a less appealing option in every way.

I mean 1080p/60 for Dying Light 2 was everything maxed and "high RT." As far as I know the PS5/Series X versions are non-native 4k/30 with only shadows being ray-traced and the 'performance' mode drops 4k and ray tracing just to hit 60 FPS. We'll need to see how the two versions compare once it's released, but it's not like the PC version is being trounced by the console version based on what we know thus far.

The only reason I'd even want a 3080 for MSRP 16-months after release is because of the current state of the GPU market. In usual GPU markets we'd be starting to see 3080 equivalents at half the price sometime this year.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

The other problem is that even if you somehow manage to get a card like a 3080p at msrp, your reward is getting to play new games (like Dying Light 2) at a measly 1080p. 

The reward is playing the notably better version of all xbox games and over 95% of PS5 games, while also having genres that you might only like to play on PC (like competitive gaming, which is practically non existant on consoles in comparison). So pretty much 99% of yearly releases. I got my 3080 TUF OC for $650, I can't complain. Not sure why you cherry picked an examples of the 1% of yearly titles that are potentially better on consoles.

P.S. The price bullshit is mostly due to Covid.

Edited by Substatic
54 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

I mean 1080p/60 for Dying Light 2 was everything maxed and "high RT." As far as I know the PS5/Series X versions are non-native 4k/30 with only shadows being ray-traced and the 'performance' mode drops 4k and ray tracing just to hit 60 FPS. We'll need to see how the two versions compare once it's released, but it's not like the PC version is being trounced by the console version based on what we know thus far.

The only reason I'd even want a 3080 for MSRP 16-months after release is because of the current state of the GPU market. In usual GPU markets we'd be starting to see 3080 equivalents at half the price sometime this year.

The whole point of these new cards was 4K gaming. Even if ray tracing is still demanding at the very least you should be able to get smooth performance above 1080p with it on. I don't doubt the newer cards are powerful but if theres less and less games being properly optimized to take advantage of them, then whats the point? We're 1 year into the gen and the 3070Ti I paid $1000 for is already struggling with new games at just 1440p. Its baffling to think that something like BF2042 straight up runs at a more consistent framerate at TWICE the resolution on PS5 and Series X compared to my PC.

Even if I had only paid the $600 MSRP for my card I would still be disappointed, but at almost twice the price its just unforgivable. Modern PC gaming asks for so much but gives almost nothing in return. 

• Like 1
  • NPC 1

Price to performance just isn’t there right now. The cards are too expensive thanks to chip shortages and for whatever reason (probably COVID) a lot of recent AAA releases have been unoptimized and aren’t taking full advantage of these new cards. I’m hoping things improve soon because right now it’s the worst I’ve seen it in my 30 years of PC gaming.

Edited by FIREPOWER
34 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

The whole point of these new cards was 4K gaming. Even if ray tracing is still demanding at the very least you should be able to get smooth performance above 1080p with it on. I don't doubt the newer cards are powerful but if theres less and less games being properly optimized to take advantage of them, then whats the point? We're 1 year into the gen and the 3070Ti I paid $1000 for is already struggling with new games at just 1440p. Its baffling to think that something like BF2042 straight up runs at a more consistent framerate at TWICE the resolution on PS5 and Series X compared to my PC.

You're getting 60 FPS at 1440p in BF2042 on your 3070 Ti? BF2042 on PS5/Series X is 4k/60, but Tom's Hardware benchmarks for BF2042 on PC show that the 3060 Ti is able to do 4k/60 and 1440p/100. I'm also not sure how you can say it runs at a more consistent framerate on consoles when Digital Foundry's review of the console versions mentions framerate dips and frame time spikes so bad that they their solution to the problem is downloading the last gen version of the game.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Even if I had only paid the $600 MSRP for my card I would still be disappointed, but at almost twice the price its just unforgivable. Modern PC gaming asks for so much but gives almost nothing in return. 

New card MSRPs are a result of the shitty GPU market. The 3070 Ti is a terrible card for $600 and the 3080 Ti is even worse at $1200. Again, GPU prices right now are fucking awful. I wouldn't tell anybody to anybody to get into PC gaming currently because you could just buy a Series X and a PS5 for the same price as you paid for a 3070 Ti and you'd get 99% of the games available on PC (and the ones that aren't generally don't require a beefy GPU) + some games that are console exclusive.

25 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

You're getting 60 FPS at 1440p in BF2042 on your 3070 Ti? BF2042 on PS5/Series X is 4k/60, but Tom's Hardware benchmarks for BF2042 on PC show that the 3060 Ti is able to do 4k/60 and 1440p/100. I'm also not sure how you can say it runs at a more consistent framerate on consoles when Digital Foundry's review of the console versions mentions framerate dips and frame time spikes so bad that they their solution to the problem is downloading the last gen version of the game.

New card MSRPs are a result of the shitty GPU market. The 3070 Ti is a terrible card for $600 and the 3080 Ti is even worse at $1200. Again, GPU prices right now are fucking awful. I wouldn't tell anybody to anybody to get into PC gaming currently because you could just buy a Series X and a PS5 for the same price as you paid for a 3070 Ti and you'd get 99% of the games available on PC (and the ones that aren't generally don't require a beefy GPU) + some games that are console exclusive.

DF said the console versions are usually running between 57-60FPS, on my PC it fluctuates all over the place from 40-90 even though I would just be happy with a locked 60 at 1440p (though my PC should be capable of much more). Still, the fact that consoles can do 4K while my $2K PC would completely shit itself trying to run the game at that resolution at a stable framerate speaks volumes. If this is where we are 1 year into the gen with games that are still cross gen, then thats a problem. My 980 was still shitting on cross gen and next gen only (PS4/Xbone) games years after it had came out and the PC version of those games was objectively better. Nowadays even if you have expensive hardware chances are you're still going to be either lagging behind PS5/Series X versions of games or barely matching them.

PC gaming is a shadow of its former self.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

DF said the console versions are usually running between 57-60FPS

DF said 50-60 with frame timing spikes in the hundreds of milliseconds.

Watch the spike a couple seconds into where I linked (8:40 if time doesn't work). That's awful. I'm not saying it can't also be bad on PC, but if anything it sounds like the game is just kind of janky in general.

6 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

on my PC it fluctuates all over the place from 40-90 even though I would just be happy with a locked 60 at 1440p (though my PC should be capable of much more). Still, the fact that consoles can do 4K while my $2K PC would completely shit itself trying to run the game at that resolution at a stable framerate speaks volumes. If this is where we are 1 year into the gen with games that are still cross gen, then thats a problem.

I haven't seen any benchmarks that correlate to the performance you're getting. You're getting worse performance than the 3060 Ti at 4k benchmarks. CPU bottleneck?

10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

My 980 was still shitting on cross gen and next gen only (PS4/Xbone) games years after it had came out and the PC version of those games was objectively better. Nowadays even if you have expensive hardware chances are you're still going to be either lagging behind PS5/Series X versions of games or barely matching them.

Dude, the 980 was the highest end card when it released almost a year after the PS4. Why wouldn't it perform better? Do you not think the high end GPUs now aren't outperforming consoles or something? Like I said earlier, Tom's Hardware benchmarks have the 3060 Ti performing a little bit below the PS5 version of BF2042 at 4k. Horizon 5's 'quality' mode on Series X is 4k/30 FPS, but on PC you can get 4k/60 out of a 3070 Ti. Far Cry 6 was 4k/60 on PS5 and you can beat that with a 3070 Ti. Deathloop's 'performance' mode on PS5 can be matched by a 2060 Super on PC.

PC GPUs are absolutely where they should be performance wise relative to previous generations, they just aren't worth the cost.

11 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

DF said 50-60 with frame timing spikes in the hundreds of milliseconds.

Watch the spike a couple seconds into where I linked (8:40 if time doesn't work). That's awful. I'm not saying it can't also be bad on PC, but if anything it sounds like the game is just kind of janky in general.

I haven't seen any benchmarks that correlate to the performance you're getting. You're getting worse performance than the 3060 Ti at 4k benchmarks. CPU bottleneck?

Dude, the 980 was the highest end card when it released almost a year after the PS4. Why wouldn't it perform better? Do you not think the high end GPUs now aren't outperforming consoles or something? Like I said earlier, Tom's Hardware benchmarks have the 3060 Ti performing a little bit below the PS5 version of BF2042 at 4k. Horizon 5's 'quality' mode on Series X is 4k/30 FPS, but on PC you can get 4k/60 out of a 3070 Ti. Far Cry 6 was 4k/60 on PS5 and you can beat that with a 3070 Ti. Deathloop's 'performance' mode on PS5 can be matched by a 2060 Super on PC.

PC GPUs are absolutely where they should be performance wise relative to previous generations, they just aren't worth the cost.

When it comes to BF2042 there is a huge difference in performance between the 128p modes and the smaller modes in Portal. Benchmarks don't take into consideration so they're not accurate. My experience is when it comes to 128p modes and those are the ones DF covered in the video. 50-60 would still be better than what im experiencing.

When I bought the 980 GTX I used for over 5 years I payed what I thought was a shitload at the time for a video card ($500) but I damn well felt like I got my money's worth. It would chew through everything I threw at it without breaking a sweat. That was definitely a piece of futureproof hardware that PC gaming should be known for.

My 3070Ti practically still has the new video card smell on it but it pales in comparison mere months after I bought it. Even If I had payed the standard MSRP for it ($600) I would still feel underwhelmed.

2 hours ago, Substatic said:

Yup its mostly because of Covid. The console kids caught a temporary break due to a virus that has killed millions (nice priorities). "Gloat" while you can.

@FIREPOWER

Who is gloating? STFU idiot, I’m a PC gamer too this shit sucks for me as well. Does everything have to be console wars for you?

• Geese 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

When it comes to BF2042 there is a huge difference in performance between the 128p modes and the smaller modes in Portal. Benchmarks don't take into consideration so they're not accurate. My experience is when it comes to 128p modes and those are the ones DF covered in the video. 50-60 would still be better than what im experiencing.

I would assume they would take that into account, but even if that's not the case I gave plenty of other game examples that don't have such wide variations in demand.

17 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

When I bought the 980 GTX I used for over 5 years I payed what I thought was a shitload at the time for a video card ($500) but I damn well felt like I got my money's worth. It would chew through everything I threw at it without breaking a sweat. That was definitely a piece of futureproof hardware that PC gaming should be known for.

My 3070Ti practically still has the new video card smell on it but it pales in comparison mere months after I bought it. Even If I had payed the standard MSRP for it ($600) I would still feel underwhelmed.

Nobody is saying you should feel good about theoretically spending $600 on a 3070 Ti, but that wouldn't be a $600 card under normal circumstances. Under normal circumstances we'd have gotten the 3080 Ti at $700. The 3080 Ti at $700 would be roughly equivalent to the 980 relative to their price increases over the current gen Playstation console (38% for the 980 at $550 vs. $400 for the PS4, 40% for the 3080 Ti at $700 vs. $500 for the PS5).

I don't know how'd you feel with a $700 3080 Ti, but I'd imagine it'd be a bit better than a $1,000 3070 Ti.

• Upvote 1

PC gaming really was second-class gaming, this year.

You want proof.

Take this biggest hiding-behind-the-PC person that we have ever seen.

Beggij.

He made the mistake of showing me his twitter account a few months ago.............because he wanted to get into a fight with my television (again, I shit you not), so he showed me a twitter thread of him speaking with somebody.

So every few months I got an check his tweets, and he literally couldn't have done a better job of proving everything I've ever made fun of him, to be 100% correct.

He's literally whining about UE5 games suttering and not running well on the PC, saying that its the engine itself.

And he's literally cold-tweeting developers who just released games and ASKING them if they will be making PC ports :lawl::lawl:

ah, man, its too good reading his tweets. LOL

• Geese 1