Nobody going to talk about Sony buying Bungie for $3.6B?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SEGA just sold off its entire arcade business in Japan because of COVID related losses. They're probably bleeding money and wouldn't mind becoming apart of a major company like Sony. In fact it just m

Is it because they will remain an independent subsidiary and continue to be multiplat?                         Sony 3rd Party Stu

All I see is Herm, Lem, Ghostz tears. Cows still causing full breakdowns after all these years   

6 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's either SEGA in its entirety or nothing..  regarding Atlus.

4 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

ya, just googled atlus. i didn't know sega owned them.

Lol, I did the same. I figured they were a subsidiary with some publisher.

SEGA just sold off its entire arcade business in Japan because of COVID related losses. They're probably bleeding money and wouldn't mind becoming apart of a major company like Sony. In fact it just makes sense especially since their franchises (like Yakuza, Judgment, Persona) resonate more with Playstation gamers than people on Xbox.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

i'd be happy with dwango, since they own spike chunsoft :smoke:

I only found out recently, but Spike Chunsoft and The Zero Escape/Danganronpa creator (who left Spike Chunsoft a few years ago) are collaborating on a new adventure game. It looks like it could be cool

• aitch 1
Just now, Twinblade said:

I only found out recently, but Spike Chunsoft and The Zero Escape/Danganronpa creator (who left Spike Chunsoft a few years ago) are collaborating on a new adventure game. It looks like it could be cool

i'm so getting that. i pretty much buy all of their games.

18 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

SEGA just sold off its entire arcade business in Japan because of COVID related losses. They're probably bleeding money and wouldn't mind becoming apart of a major company like Sony. In fact it just makes sense especially since their franchises (like Yakuza, Judgment, Persona) resonate more with Playstation gamers than people on Xbox.

This would make more sense as Segas name and IP catalog is strong. Dropping 3 billy on Bungie seems like setting money on fire. 

2 hours ago, ghostz said:
Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives?
No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community.

"self-publish"

So if Sony is publishing them, like they do with all their other projects with second-party studios.....its a Sony exclusive.

Thanks for the help on that.

Destiny 2 and add-ons will continue to be their self-published releases.

And the "future games in development" would also mean existing Bungie projects, anything they create from this point forward will be with Sony's involvement.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Mr. Impossible said:

Lol Bungie? Jesus christ. 

It makes perfect sense really.

Sony is sorely lacking in first party MP games.  Now that Xbox has COD, Sony desperately needs to have an answer if it ever goes away.  Or at least a developer capable of filling that void.

They're also working with Deviation Games who are Ex-Treyarch COD developers on a PS exclusive franchise, so between securing Bungie and their partnership with Deviation, they've got it covered.

Sony didn't buy Insomniac because they want them to keep on making more Sunset Overdrive.

Three new IPs came from Insomniac.

So I expect a new multiplayer FPS IP to come from Bungie and Sony.

I was thinking that maybe they could license and work with EA to resurrect something like Medal of Honor with the Respawn guys, but this appears to be much more simpler and will ensure Sony has full ownership of any new IP.

Remember the problem with Destiny is that their development tools were absolute dogshit, which is why they are so slow to release updates.

They probably need Sony's help, and they need to outsource things like cinematics and mo-cap to Sony's best-in-class studios, and probably do a complete overhaul of how Bungie develops and updates games.

Bungie makes Sony their new FPS games and helps grow it, and Sony probably allows Bungie to make and publish Destiny 3 on their own with their new development tools. Win-Win.

33 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

ya, just googled atlus. i didn't know sega owned them.

Yea, they have for a while now.

It's a bit of a weird position for Sony concerning Japanese developers.  Obviously, the big Japanese publishers/developers are already essentially guaranteed to be releasing games on Playstation since Nintendo doesn't really fit the bill for companies like SquareEnix and Capcom who are essentially the main Japanese publishers pushing high quality visuals these days... So basically those games are sure to come to PS and they aren't really missing out on anything.  Considering how difficult it is for a US based company like MS to purchase Japanese publishers/developers.. it seems like Sony doesn't have much to worry about.  So are those the developers they should be bothering to buy?

Well, I think they should.. because eventually it's not going to be enough for them simply making 30% of each of those games sold on their own hardware.  They're going to want to make 100% of the money from those sales, as well as 70% of that money made on other devices.

We all know by now that all these pubs are going to start getting gobbled up, and the goal is to have as big of an army of developers pumping out games as consistently as you can.  So buying up any developers they can, is actually the smarter play.  There's also Tencent to consider.  MS may not have much luck in Japan, but Tencent could snatch a big publisher out from underneath Sony.  You might not think that in itself is a big deal, since they'll still publish on PS... but again, Sony then only gets 30% of a fraction of the overall sales... and when literally every other major player is releasing all their shit on every device they can... Sony absolutely can't stick to their console only and make shareholders happy.

I think it's very clear that a corner has been turned here.  You're either geared up for what's ahead, or you're caught off guard and eventually get gobbled up by the bigger fish in the pond. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ghostz said:

COD won’t be on PS once the existing deal is done. 

There is literally zero articles saying what you just said. Your ass is bleeding right now and you are grasping at straws :sabu:

COD is as multiplat as Destiny is right now for the foreseeable future :hest:

Next up for Sony is probably SEGA or Square Enix :aitch:

Edited by FIREPOWER
4 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

There is literally zero articles saying what you just said. Your ass is bleeding right now and you are grasping at straws :sabu:

COD is as multiplat as Destiny is right now for the foreseeable future :hest:

Next up for Sony is probably SEGA or Square Enix :aitch:

Activision isn’t operating independently under MS :reg:

Jim Ryan putting it about a bluntly as you can:

"I've been on record talking about increasing the size of the PlayStation community, and expanding beyond our historic console heartland. This can take many forms. And definitely one of the main ones is the ability for the wonderful games that we've been making over the past 25 years to be enjoyed in different places and played in different ways. We are starting to go multiplatform, you've seen that. We have an aggressive road map with live services. And the opportunity to work with, and particularly learn from, the brilliant and talented people from Bungie... that is going to considerably accelerate the journey we find ourselves on."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-31-playstation-bungie-will-considerably-accelerate-our-journey-with-multiplatform-live-service-games

What a get :aitch: One of my fav devs and exactly what they need now that they could lose a lot of FPS franchises. They have the no.1 fps devs in the world. 

Also to clarify things said earlier in the thread, Destiny is owned by Bungie and now by Sony.

They've also had a new Ip in the works for multiple years.

5 minutes ago, ghostz said:

Phil also said he has spoken to Sony and has zero plans to take COD away from Playstation :vabe:.

Where are you getting your bullshit that COD is exclusive to Xbox from?

Edited by FIREPOWER
Just now, ghostz said:

No, but at this point MS would be dumb to remove COD from Playstation, even after their contract is up.  

Just keep releasing those huge games everywhere, make that money!  Obviously in the future the COD marketing and perhaps exclusive DLCs and stuff hit Xbox/PC first, then PS shortly after.. but there's no reason to pull stuff off the other console anymore.  If there's big fanbases there, why fuck with them?  The smaller titles sure.. use them to boost up the subscription services with constant streams of new titles... but nah, I think we're beginning to see the first signs of the industry opening up and easing people into the idea that we will be seeing more multiplatform stuff in the future.

I think it would be best for both sides to do these little pushes at the same time, so the reaction from one side, tempers the expectations from the otherside.

I've already seen people say.. "oh well that's cool that Destiny will remain multiplat and future Bungie games as well... COD should too"

They just went multiplatform with a product that is already multiplatform.......and they now get a cut from that money.

And original Sony properties still remain on Sony platforms.

Its pretty brilliant what Jim Ryan has done. He's helping Bungie fix Destiny so that it can keep on growing and making them more money, and now Sony is basically a partner in that game.

And in return Bungie is going to help make exclusive Sony games. Technically Destiny is now fulfilling his "multiplatform" declaration.

Edited by jehurey
  • Like 1