Nobody going to talk about Sony buying Bungie for $3.6B?

4 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Also a little perspective because Destiny truly is it's own sub genre for gaming that many people don't realise just how big and successful it is and has been.

Destiny 2 (2017 release) is currently the 9th most played game on Steam with 60Kish players. It hasn't had any major new content in a while, this is just ppl playing in anticipation for the expansion this month. Wait to see the numbers then.

Meanwhile Halo Infinite, which came out in Nov, is now the 44th most played game on Steam. 

wow! i didn't know people still played destiny 2.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SEGA just sold off its entire arcade business in Japan because of COVID related losses. They're probably bleeding money and wouldn't mind becoming apart of a major company like Sony. In fact it just m

Is it because they will remain an independent subsidiary and continue to be multiplat?                         Sony 3rd Party Stu

All I see is Herm, Lem, Ghostz tears. Cows still causing full breakdowns after all these years   

Just now, ghostz said:

Ok, how about using PS data and Xbox data and not irrelevant PC stats? :mj:

PC irrelevant now? lol.

They are directly comparable situations, in fact all the advantage is to Halo. Destiny is also a console focused shooter with the far majority of it's players on console, Meanwhile Halo released PC Day 1. It released literally 3 months ago as opposed to 5 years ago. Halo Infinite is also F2P, the only F2P D2 content is 5 year old content lol Halo Infinite just recently had an insane marketing blitz and hype meanwhile Destiny 2 has had nothing. 

Yet Halo dead after 3 months and D2 is about to post even more epic numbers soon. 

Plus I can only use data that is available. MS don't disclose shit, not my problem. But given the fact that Destiny at Year 5 is outperforming Halo at month 3 says enough 

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

apparently the new DLC that is coming this month already has 1,000,000 pre-orders.

So, in terms of money, Bungie isn't hurting for money.

But it seems painfully clear that they think Destiny is capable of getting REALLY BIG, like maybe even close to Fortnite-levels of big.

And their slow development tools are now holding them back from making serious money.

But how do they reboot their development tools and ramp up a new Destiny project while still producing content for the existing platform? That's why they clearly needed outside help.

It is by far the biggest and most anticipated Destiny 2 content drop ever (outside of the main game release) and the biggest content drop since Taken King back on Destiny 1. 

Since Bungie has went independent and cut loose from the shackles of Activision they have truly thrived.

I get that Destiny's live service model isn't for everyone but people truly don't understand just how good it is. Absolute BEST fps gameplay loop, no other game even comes close to the feeling of those guns and they have literal hundreds. The content in Destiny is also the absolute peak of any FPS gaming on console, but unfortunately has a high barrier of entry. Nothing on any other FPS ever created comes close to a Destiny Raid, nothing. 

Bungie is even better now then they were back with peak Halo. 

With Sony's backing and the freedom of still acting independently their potential is incredible.  

2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

wow! i didn't know people still played destiny 2.

Yeah it's still huge man and it could possibly post some near peak numbers with the new expansion drop soon. 

Plus they've been working on a new IP for multiple years now. 

7 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

PC irrelevant now? lol.

They are directly comparable situations, in fact all the advantage is to Halo. Destiny is also a console focused shooter with the far majority of it's players on console, Meanwhile Halo released PC Day 1. It released literally 3 months ago as opposed to 5 years ago. Halo Infinite is also F2P, the only F2P D2 content is 5 year old content lol Halo Infinite just recently had an insane marketing blitz and hype meanwhile Destiny 2 has had nothing. 

Yet Halo dead after 3 months and D2 is about to post even more epic numbers soon. 

Plus I can only use data that is available. MS don't disclose shit, not my problem. But given the fact that Destiny at Year 5 is outperforming Halo at month 3 says enough 

Both are home on Xbox. :juggle:

19 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

It is by far the biggest and most anticipated Destiny 2 content drop ever (outside of the main game release) and the biggest content drop since Taken King back on Destiny 1. 

Since Bungie has went independent and cut loose from the shackles of Activision they have truly thrived.

I get that Destiny's live service model isn't for everyone but people truly don't understand just how good it is. Absolute BEST fps gameplay loop, no other game even comes close to the feeling of those guns and they have literal hundreds. The content in Destiny is also the absolute peak of any FPS gaming on console, but unfortunately has a high barrier of entry. Nothing on any other FPS ever created comes close to a Destiny Raid, nothing. 

Bungie is even better now then they were back with peak Halo. 

With Sony's backing and the freedom of still acting independently their potential is incredible.  

343i dropped the ball with Infinite for sure.  They released the game and then went on holidays for 2+ weeks while the issues people had with it just festered :D 

They could have retained more PC players had they been more prompt in their responses to the community.

They're basically going to have to have a hefty update at some point and try to "relaunch" the game, IMO.

At least it wasn't a Battlefield-level disaster :hest:

Edited by Remij
40 minutes ago, Remij said:

343i dropped the ball with Infinite for sure.  They released the game and then went on holidays for 2+ weeks while the issues people had with it just festered :D 

They could have retained more PC players had they been more prompt in their responses to the community.

They're basically going to have to have a hefty update at some point and try to "relaunch" the game, IMO.

At least it wasn't a Battlefield-level disaster :hest:

Yeah they dropped the ball big time. I really think the F2P model fucked them bad. The progression system of the BP and the challenges and how they were impacting gameplay (people playing to complete random ass challenges instead of trying to get the W because you only progress that way) really killed the game for me. Big Team Battle also just wasn't hitting right for some reason, actually enjoyed Halo 5's Warzone mode far more. I know they improved some of those issues but wasn't enough and I had moved on by then. 

LOL don't think anyone else can have a BF-level disaster even if they tried :tom:

SEGA has a bunch of valuable franchises and studios.

They own Relic and Creative Assembly which are the top RTS developers on PC, and would be able to expand those franchises to consoles. 

Atlus not only puts out Persona games, but remember that they also have the SMT base series. SMTV was a huge seller on Switch, and could come close to Persona in popularity one day.

PSVR2 would also give them the opportunity to ressurect some franchises that make use of that hardware. Like imagine a new VR House of the Dead exclusive to PSVR2. That could be really cool.

Then there's the obvious big ones like Yakuza/Judgment. Sonic is also still a big series, and people who've seen the new one behind closed doors have been impressed by it.

I dunno about Sega, it might trigger a bidding war between Nintendo and Sony, or if they were forward-thinking, they might want to consider going in together to buy them out, and then they split the IPs between themselves, or they might make an agreement to have certain IPs appear on both consoles.

In fact, I really do think Sony and Nintendo need to start thinking about that with publishers like EA or Take-Two.

If the NFL doesn't give a shit anymore, just have Sony and Nintendo buy EA and simply have Madden become a franchise that only appears on Playstation and Switch platforms from here on out.

FIFA? That would raise some eyebrows.

9 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I dunno about Sega, it might trigger a bidding war between Nintendo and Sony, or if they were forward-thinking, they might want to consider going in together to buy them out, and then they split the IPs between themselves, or they might make an agreement to have certain IPs appear on both consoles.

In fact, I really do think Sony and Nintendo need to start thinking about that with publishers like EA or Take-Two.

If the NFL doesn't give a shit anymore, just have Sony and Nintendo buy EA and simply have Madden become a franchise that only appears on Playstation and Switch platforms from here on out.

FIFA? That would raise some eyebrows.

Millions of gamers buy ea only games. If sony bought them, id buy a PS5.. but if mlb is any indication, games would be multiplat. 

You guys are talking about franchises that are NEVER EVER going to be exclusive. This is not an exclusivity war anymore, it's a race to secure content; content that in a world of subs and live service games only thrive if they are available everywhere. EA or Take Two are obviously massive but there is no world where either gets bought out and then games like FIFA, Madden, GTA, etc are exclusive to one platform. Firstly the cost to purchase one of those entities and then instantly cut their revenue by 50%+ is pure stupidity from a business perspective and secondly the market is moving in the complete opposite direction. Sony has made more from MLB being multiplat then they ever did from it being exclusive and zero sports rights are ever going to agree to exclusivity.

Also on a larger perspective, all this consolidation sucks. Competition and independent publishers with different visions is always what is best for the space. We get different ideas, different focuses (eg, clear Ubi template, clear Rockstar template, clear EA Sports template, etc) and a more natural market. You lost one or 2 more major players and i feel the industry would have contracted too much too quick. We won't see the impact for years to come but I don't think it will be positive.  

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

You guys are talking about franchises that are NEVER EVER going to be exclusive. This is not an exclusivity war anymore, it's a race to secure content; content that in a world of subs and live service games only thrive if they are available everywhere. EA or Take Two are obviously massive but there is no world where either gets bought out and then games like FIFA, Madden, GTA, etc are exclusive to one platform. Firstly the cost to purchase one of those entities and then instantly cut their revenue by 50%+ is pure stupidity from a business perspective and secondly the market is moving in the complete opposite direction. Sony has made more from MLB being multiplat then they ever did from it being exclusive and zero sports rights are ever going to agree to exclusivity.

Also on a larger perspective, all this consolidation sucks. Competition and independent publishers with different visions is always what is best for the space. We get different ideas, different focuses (eg, clear Ubi template, clear Rockstar template, clear EA Sports template, etc) and a more natural market. You lost one or 2 more major players and i feel the industry would have contracted too much too quick. We won't see the impact for years to come but I don't think it will be positive.  

LOL Jehurey still doesn't get it..

Look at him go on talking about Sony and Nintendo buying EA and sharing Madden exclusivity... Because Nintendo cares about Madden so much and is willing to go to a bidding war for some American company's sports games which have never even been sold on Nintendo's console outside of FIFA:mj:

He's probably realizing how stupid that sounded just now.  Thinking that Nintendo would give a fuck about EA... Thinking that Sony would rather have EA's sports games on the fucking Switch instead of the Xbox consoles.. where the fans already are...

Oh man that was great for a laugh.  I hope that happens :hest:

4 hours ago, ghostz said:

Millions of gamers buy ea only games. If sony bought them, id buy a PS5.. but if mlb is any indication, games would be multiplat. 

it depends on the sports league that is selling its license to the publisher/developer.

MLB ended up pushing Sony to allow for them (MLB) to pay outside developers make ports of MLB The Show because 2K Sports was no longer making MLB games anymore, so they wanted to have a full-fledged MLB game on all major platforms.

MLB The Show going muiltiplatform is only indicative of MLB and how they treat their license.

The NFL, on the other hand, has had no problem if Madden never shows up on a platform (Wii U, and Switch, and PC for many years).

3 hours ago, Remij said:

LOL Jehurey still doesn't get it..

Look at him go on talking about

:hest:look at this bitch melt down and talk about me:hest:

he really wants me to be wrong, so badly.

Coming from the guy who has declared that Bloodborne on the PC is already finished and just waiting to be announced. LOL

not to mention that madmal basically types the very thing that I've been saying:

it's a race to secure content;

which is exactly why Nintendo and Sony would actually be prudent to think about partnering and taking control of certain publishers, because it blocks Microsoft.  That's the "securing" part.

Maybe Nintendo doesn't really care about EA, but if Sony tells them "help us buy EA, and we'll also buy Capcom and ensure that you will continue getting Monster Hunter games" then they are sorta providing protection to one another.

Edited by jehurey