(Official Discussion Thread) Sounds like Horizon: Forbidden West is pretty incredible [HORIZON: FW SCORE PREDICTION THREAD starting page 4]

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

If it can handle 1800p at 60fps, then maybe they should work on an update similar to Ratchet & Clank to try and create a 40fps mode that still maintains 2160p

60fps is always nice, but this has never been an ultra-fast moving game.

I agree. Hopefully they come up with a 2160p/40fps patch in the future like Insomniac did. 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It got held back to only be the best graphics... How unfortunate 

I love how each village/clan have a distinct cultural feel to them.

This is what you do when you have nothing to play on your Shitbox? You scour the the internet looking for glitches on a great game? Damn, sucks to be a lemshit.    

Posted Images

NXGamer's graphics analysis with IGN is up

Confirms 4K/30fps and 1800pCB/60fps on PS5.

He seems very impressed with it and it looks to easily be the best looking game on consoles at the moment. I'm shocked they managed to may it look so good on the base PS4.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

how is the Ps4 running that without melting.

The PS4 versions are significantly overperforming more than I expected, unless youtube compression is hiding some stuff.

Wizardry, it's the only way to explain it. I'm watching it run on the base PS4 and asking myself the same question too. Looks really stunning on base PS4 even with the lower resolution and detail. Only when I see it side by side with the PS4 Pro or PS5 version does it look a little rough.

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Told ya’ll the PS4 version would look almost the same. PS5 version has better textures but you can tell this is a cross gen game through and through.

you're not even remotely getting the point.

you've never seen a last-gen game look that good. not even the relatively small linear areas of TLOU2.

49 minutes ago, jehurey said:

you're not even remotely getting the point.

you've never seen a last-gen game look that good. not even the relatively small linear areas of TLOU2.

TLOU2 is almost 2 years old. This is just the natural progression for a PS4 game made by Sony’s first party.

The new GoW will look similar on both platforms as well, while also being an upgrade over its predecessor.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

TLOU2 is almost 2 years old. This is just the natural progression for a PS4 game made by Sony’s first party.

The new GoW will look similar on both platforms as well, while also being an upgrade over its predecessor.

no, the next God of War, as looking at the trailer, still doesn't look as good as Horizon running on the PS4.

"natural progression" of a 8 year old console whose natural lifecycle ended about 18 months ago.

you really don't know what you are talking about in this area.

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

no, the next God of War, as looking at the trailer, still doesn't look as good as Horizon running on the PS4.

"natural progression" of a 8 year old console whose natural lifecycle ended about 18 months ago.

you really don't know what you are talking about in this area.

It started off as a PS4 game dude. They then added some extra bells and whistles for the PS5. That’s how game development works.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

It started off as a PS4 game dude. They then added some extra bells and whistles for the PS5. That’s how game development works.

its hilarious how you try to talk with a sense of confidence after the fact.

you don't know anything about what you are talking about. we know exactly how this game was being judged and analyzed last year, on purely graphics terms.

most people were absolutely adamant that footage of Aloy going from above land to underwater, with all the vegetation, and the wind gliding, was simply not possible on the PS4 and it was either going to have to have detail heavily reduced, or designed differently.

you don't know anything, so there's no point in you PRETENDING that you knew this all along.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

its hilarious how you try to talk with a sense of confidence after the fact.

you don't know anything about what you are talking about. we know exactly how this game was being judged and analyzed last year, on purely graphics terms.

most people were absolutely adamant that footage of Aloy going from above land to underwater, with all the vegetation, and the wind gliding, was simply not possible on the PS4 and it was either going to have to have detail heavily reduced, or designed differently.

you don't know anything, so there's no point in you PRETENDING that you knew this all along.

So you believe that they suddenly started working on a PS4 version halfway through developing the PS5 one, and then had them both ready in time for a simultaneous release?

talk about being naive and uninformed. That’s not how games are made.

7 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

So you believe that they suddenly started working on a PS4 version halfway through developing the PS5 one, and then had them both ready in time for a simultaneous release?

talk about being naive and uninformed. That’s not how games are made.

uh.......yeah. considering that the first game was finished and released by February 2017.

That's 5 years.

Dude I've literally typed that scenario back in 2020.

They released Killzone Shadowfall for PS4's launch in 2013, and built an entirely new game from scratch in a little over 3 years. Should've actually launched sometime around November/December 2016.

So why'd the sequel take 5 years when making the FIRST GAME from NOTHING took 3 years?

Because they had to stop PS4 development and then do simultaneous development for both consoles. And the PS4 version clearly got the benefit of additional time for polish.

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

uh.......yeah. considering that the first game was finished and released by February 2017.

That's 5 years.

Dude I've literally typed that scenario back in 2020.

They released Killzone Shadowfall for PS4's launch in 2013, and built an entirely new game from scratch in a little over 3 years. Should've actually launched sometime around November/December 2016.

So why'd the sequel take 5 years when making the FIRST GAME from NOTHING took 3 years?

Because they had to stop PS4 development and then do simultaneous development for both consoles. And the PS4 version clearly got the benefit of additional time for polish.

It starting off as a PS4 game is literally the point I am making, so it seems that you finally agree on that. Great.

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

It starting off as a PS4 game is literally the point I am making, so it seems that you finally agree on that. Great.

no one is disputing that it started off as a PS4 game.

what i am saying is that the game was probably significantly retooled during development when they were told it was going to the ps5, and the game looks amazing by next-gen standards, and they were able to vastly polish the PS4 version to handle almost everything that is in the PS5 version.

if you think games were going to continue looking better than TLOU2 as a "natural progression", you simply don't know what you are talking about. LOL  This game literally looks better than TLOU2, has more objects on screen than TLOU2, has better facial animations than TLOU2, and is an open world, and it maintains the same framerate as TLOU2 did on the PS4.

If you had told anybody that was possible prior to finally seeing the PS4 footage, nobody would believe that.

why are you pretending you know things in this area?

This game is insane. I can't believe Guerrilla Games were able to achieve what they achieved with this game on a cross-gen title. Looks insane running on base PS4 and looks better than so-called next gen games running on PS5. These guys are some of the most talented developers on the planet, period. The attention to detail in this game is just outstanding. Even more outstanding when you consider it's an open world game. There are many great looking linear games that don't have this level of detail. 

I think it's safe to say this game is the new graphical benchmark for consoles. What the hell are they feeding those devs at Sony? First Ratchet and Clank and now this?

• Like 1

here is the digital foundry video in case people haven't seen it, its 30 minutes long and its just on the PS5 version alone.

If you have a youtube app on your 4K tv, definitely play this video on the big screen, because this is about showing the very small details of what is being rendered, in-game.

the developers were so confident in how good their game looked that they gave it a super-close up camera mode, and Digital Foundry goes crazy with it.

they are straight-up saying that this is among the very best looking video games, if not the current best looking video game, all-around.

Edited by jehurey
  • aitch 1
Just now, FIREPOWER said:

This game is insane. I can't believe Guerrilla Games were able to achieve what they achieved with this game on a cross-gen title. Looks insane running on base PS4 and looks better than so-called next gen games running on PS5. These guys are some of the most talented developers on the planet, period. The attention to detail in this game is just outstanding. Even more outstanding when you consider it's an open world game. There are many great looking linear games that don't have this level of detail. 

I think it's safe to say this game is the new graphical benchmark for consoles. What the hell are they feeding those devs at Sony? First Ratchet and Clank and now this?

watching this now on my 5K mac. holy fuck this is gorgeous! quality mode ftw. i can't wait to explore each area.

• aitch 1
  • -GD-X★ changed the title to (Official Discussion Thread) Sounds like Horizon: Forbidden West is pretty incredible [HORIZON: FW SCORE PREDICTION THREAD starting page 4]