Elden Ring is the best open world game ever created

By a considerable margin also.

This is an absolute pinnacle of game design.

A once in a multi generation type game. 

The sense of exploration and discovery is unlike anything ever made before. The density and level design of this open world is unlike anything made before. The way it's stories are told, it's quests are given and completed. The game rewarding people the more they dive in to the world. 

There is just nothing like it and I don't know if I can ever play an open world game that is not designed like this again lol

ELDEN RING GOTY, GOTG and maybe GOAT

• Thanks 1
  • aitch 2
14 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

By a considerable margin also.

This is an absolute pinnacle of game design.

A once in a multi generation type game. 

The sense of exploration and discovery is unlike anything ever made before. The density and level design of this open world is unlike anything made before. The way it's stories are told, it's quests are given and completed. The game rewarding people the more they dive in to the world. 

There is just nothing like it and I don't know if I can ever play an open world game that is not designed like this again lol

ELDEN RING GOTY, GOTG and maybe GOAT

I don't know about GOAT haha... but definitely GOTY, and possibly GOTG.

It's going to be high on my tier list of FROMSOFT souls-likes, that's for sure.  But I'm not sure if it will take top spot yet.  I'm still a long way from completing the game haha.  It sucks I'll have to wait mostly until next weekend to go hard at it again.  During the week I'll probably be able to do small things here and there, but no big long play sessions.

It's crazy though how much of an itch you have to just keep exploring and seeing all this game has to offer.

• aitch 2

It's pretty much in-line with what I expected from Souls games going open world design. I mean, at it's core the series value hasn't changed in Elden Ring, it simply done on a much wider and grand scale.

It goes to prove that open world games doesn't need a million markers on a map telling you where to go or what the next repetitive side mission is going to be. Exploration is it's own reward. The world is awesome, the atmosphere, the monsters, the music... it's perfect.

So I don't think it revolutionize anything but it is refreshing if you compare it to most modern open world games.

• aitch 2

It's incredible what they managed to craft here and I don't think it will be topped by any other developer for a long time.

It makes me think of how the first Dark souls was with its connected pathways which I sorely missed in Dark Souls 2 & 3.

Other parts feel like I'm Playing Dragon's Dogma, it's so good I can't stop playing :aitch:

Edited by bhytre
  • aitch 1

Absolutely. The way they build the world is masterful, using the verticality and colour contrast to draw you around the world without the need for map icons and the typical ubisoft crutches. Clearly they took note of what Breath of the Wild did, which imo is the only game that comes close to this and is obviously the blueprint in my mind. That said, they absolutely evolved that formula and did a really impressive job fixing the problems that BOTW had, namely:

1) integrating their more traditional design elements within the open world. Keeping the sprawling setpieces that FROM is known for within the world and having them flow in naturally.

2) Enemy variety, obviously.

3) Quest system is much better designed.

I think BOTW2 will probably fix a few of these things as well, I've said before that BOTW but with traditional Zelda dungeons would have been amazing...this is kind of what FROM did imo.

It makes me not want to even play most open world games anymore. Hell, it makes me not even consider them to be real open world games. I've felt this way for a while, but most open world games have no good reason to be open world other than padding content by being able to sprinkle errands and that type of bullshit around the map. I can think of only a handful of games that would be worse if they WEREN'T open world, Elden Ring and BOTW fall into that category.

Breath of the Wild is the only thing that comes close. As well as some of the good, older Bethesda games.

9 hours ago, Casual said:

I dunno if I'd go with revolutionary tbh. It's very much a refined version of the BOTW formula within the typical FROM design.

My bad. I didn't make it clear enough that this wasn't a debate.

• aitch 1
5 hours ago, -GD-X said:

sounds like what bored of the wild should have been. what an empty pos.

2nd best open world game of the last decade :reg:

would be the blueprint for more than just elden ring if devs actually had the chops to do it.

Edited by Casual

another thing BOTW and Elden Ring do great and have in common is give you control 2 seconds in and never take it back instead of trying to get us to care about their garbage vidya game story.

Edited by Casual
21 minutes ago, Casual said:

2nd best open world game of the last decade :reg:

would be the blueprint for more than just elden ring if devs actually had the chops to do it.

:D Fisher Price Zelda 

25 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

:D Fisher Price Zelda 

i never really got this argument tbh. shrines are easy, so is every puzzle in every zelda game ever though. do people really think shrines are that much easier than looking for which unlit torch to shoot your fire arrow at?

outside of the short bus kids who couldn't figure out the water temple i cant think of anyone who's claimed zelda is hard.

zelda ii is pretty tough i guess.

10 minutes ago, Casual said:

i never really got this argument tbh. shrines are easy, so is every puzzle in every zelda game ever though. do people really think shrines are that much easier than looking for which unlit torch to shoot your fire arrow at?

outside of the short bus kids who couldn't figure out the water temple i cant think of anyone who's claimed zelda is hard.

zelda ii is pretty tough i guess.

The water and spirit temples in oot had great puzzle design. They weren’t necessarily hard, but they weren’t retarded like BOTW’s.