Senate passes bill to remove day light savings time

• Tears of the Cows changed the title to Senate passes bill to remove day light savings time
1 minute ago, -GD-X said:

That sucks. I like when it gets dark early. 

no way. i love the sunset lasting into 7pm, maybe it lasting into 8pm might feel weird, but that only happens for like a 1-2 week period.

So both in California and Florida voters passed a law to make Daylight savings time permanent. But we live a in fake democracy and we don't actually get to choose our laws.  The legislature in both states then have to approve it.  Unfortunately in California every single Republican legislator voted against it so they could never get the 66% needed to be sent to the Governor to sign it.  California voters passed it by over 70%.  I don't know what percent of the legislator is needed to be sent to the Governor in Florida.  Florida voters passed to end the changing of the clock over 5 years ago and California voters about 3 years ago.  

I am glad the federal Government is doing something about it finally.  This will supercede the legislator in both states and allow the Governors the latitude to just make the change.  Now if Biden continues the path of being a closet Republican't and not sign it then it will not happen. 

I'm with GD. Team Standard Time. I like it getting dark early, and I like having daylight during the morning commute because it makes driving safer. 

7 hours ago, lostfool said:

So both in California and Florida voters passed a law to make Daylight savings time permanent. But we live a in fake democracy and we don't actually get to choose our laws.  The legislature in both states then have to approve it.  Unfortunately in California every single Republican legislator voted against it so they could never get the 66% needed to be sent to the Governor to sign it. 

Dems have a super-majority in both chamber of the CA legislature. They don't need a single Republican vote to pass legislation. It's a true one-party state. The bill was never put up for a vote in the legislature because the public is split on whether to make DST or ST permanent (and making DST permanent would require federal approval due to a quirk of federal law).

• Like 1