Intel Arc GPU (Laptop) info

image.thumb.png.983a858adcf852cbdf7b49a6d7204562.png 

https://www.ign.com/articles/intel-arc-gpus-laptops-officially-revealed-release-date 

wonder if this will be able to compete with Nvidia and AMD’s offerings especially once they unveil the proper desktop GPUs. At the very least more options should be a good thing, especially with the current card shortage. Maybe resident graphics expert @Remijcan tell us more :ben: 

• Twinblade★ changed the title to Intel Arc GPU (Laptop) info

I think Intel will be a major 3rd player in the GPU space by next year. It's frustrating that they won't get their flagship desktop GPU out in Q2. But everything still points to 3070 performance, likely at far cheaper than Nvidia's cards are going for. That alone is the shakeup we need, and their vendor-neutral ML upscaling is icing on the cake.

Intel can potentially match the best differentiators from both AMD and Nvidia. They're obviously x86 masters, and can compete with APU/SoCs in portable devices like Steam Deck. They have a better commitment to open source drivers than Nvidia, which means they could power x86-based "consoles" running SteamOS very nicely. And there's some reason to believe Intel is ahead of AMD on dedicated ray tracing hardware. All exciting stuff, but we've been waiting too long for the actual reveal.

Edited by sugarhigh
4 hours ago, Twinblade said:

image.thumb.png.983a858adcf852cbdf7b49a6d7204562.png 

https://www.ign.com/articles/intel-arc-gpus-laptops-officially-revealed-release-date 

wonder if this will be able to compete with Nvidia and AMD’s offerings especially once they unveil the proper desktop GPUs. At the very least more options should be a good thing, especially with the current card shortage. Maybe resident graphics expert @Remijcan tell us more :ben: 

Why the ben face? lol

The only thing you can say for sure right now is that it's a great thing for the industry.  I think Intel's top of the line GPU will be around 3070 level performance... then you go down from there.  On the low end, this stuff will shit on their integrated stuff, so what this means, is that along with AMD now... base level Laptops will have fairly decent gaming performance.. which is great.

I'm just as excited to see their ray tracing performance as anything else.  I've done some reading up on it and in some ways their design is better than what Nvidia currently has.. meaning it's more flexible for the developers and could potentially perform better under certain scenarios.. But that's not to say they'll have better performance than Nvidia or anything... but this being their first launch.. they're going to have a very solid base to start from.

Realistically... they're ticking off all the boxes.  Great RT tech, seemingly great ML tech..  We just have to see how their shader cores scale up.  

It's quite exciting.

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Remij said:

Why the ben face? lol

The only thing you can say for sure right now is that it's a great thing for the industry.  I think Intel's top of the line GPU will be around 3070 level performance... then you go down from there.  On the low end, this stuff will shit on their integrated stuff, so what this means, is that along with AMD now... base level Laptops will have fairly decent gaming performance.. which is great.

I'm just as excited to see their ray tracing performance as anything else.  I've done some reading up on it and in some ways their design is better than what Nvidia currently has.. meaning it's more flexible for the developers and could potentially perform better under certain scenarios.. But that's not to say they'll have better performance than Nvidia or anything... but this being their first launch.. they're going to have a very solid base to start from.

Realistically... they're ticking off all the boxes.  Great RT tech, seemingly great ML tech..  We just have to see how their shader cores scale up.  

It's quite exciting.

Yeah I think the idea of the average consumer laptop having a competent GPU for gaming is pretty cool. Im very curious about how the desktop ones are going to stack up to Nvidia and AMD from a price performance perspective.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah I think the idea of the average consumer laptop having a competent GPU for gaming is pretty cool. Im very curious about how the desktop ones are going to stack up to Nvidia and AMD from a price performance perspective.

Nvidia are getting ridiculous with their power requirements... things are getting very inefficient very quickly.  

I'm interested in seeing how they stack up too.. but I think this time around AMD is going to clean the clock with Nvidia performance-wise (raster) AND efficiency-wise.  Nvidia is going to be pushing stupidly high power delivery for their monolithic GPU to compete with AMD's MCM design.

The pieces are falling in place for AMD to really come out favorably.  Their new GPUs will be more power efficient than Nvidia's.. they'll be more performant... and they now have FSR2.0 which looks close enough to DLSS from what we've seen so far that it's no longer something Nvidia will really be able to hold over their head.  The only question is the RT performance.. so we'll see how that goes.

But yea, Intel should be competitive in the mid range and low end.  They're understandably not targeting MASSIVE gpus like Nvidia and AMD are at the moment.. and that's probably very smart of them.  They'll get there though.

• Upvote 1