Ampere Analysis: Video game subscription-based services are estimated to only account for 4% of all video game revenue in NA+EU

1 hour ago, Ramza said:

The problem isn't really the technology, you can simply install your games on your device and run them natively. Unless I'm wrong on this, Gamepass isn't a pure streaming service like Netflix as far as I know. I guess if you didn't need an expansive device because it was a true streaming service that worked perfectly it would be more popular but not much point talking about this right now when we saw how big of a flop Stadia was and how slow Gamepass is growing. Seem like current consumers doesn't give a fuck.

The problem is MS business model of releasing high budget games day one on their service. It's not a good business model unless you have a huge active 100m+ userbase. Sony or Nintendo literally would go under if they went that route right now as all their first party would generate a lot less profit, possibly losses even. MS was literally losing money on Gamepass for most of it's lifespan so far and still do if you consider they had to buy Activision and Bethesda to increase their day one portfolio. I have no idea how they are even expecting good ROI with Gamepass for two giant publishers. They're gonna have to sell those games full price on the competitors platform to help them turn a profit. Not a good business model, no exclusives content to differentiate yourself from the competition and a lower ROI. What a shit show, you don't do that unless you are desperate and at a distant third place.

Also, imagine if most big publishers goes that route, the competition is not going to help. EA is already doing it, and they could very well do things like keeping timed exclusives on their own service, which would hurt Gamepass or Sony service and would divide consumers across multiple publishers. So at the end of the day, no one can possibly reach the userbase required to turn a profit out of day one games. Not anytime soon anyway. I mean look at Netflix and other streaming services for movies, besides netflix, disney + and amazon, the other ones aren't that popular. The competition is tough, look at how Netflix had to change their business model and make more exclusive content when Disney decided to pull off their IPs from Netflix. If the gaming market turns like this it's going to suck ass for consumers and publishers, everyone loses.

EA games are all on gamepass automatically.  You get a 10 hour free window to play it, and if you want to buy you get a discount. If you don’t want to buy, it will be 100% unlocked after 5-7 months. 

Stuff like PlayNow and GamePass aren't really streaming services, that's why they're not catching on like an actual streaming service. You have to download the games if you want to play them optimally. That's the complete opposite of convenience. Internet infrastructure not being good enough yet is 100% the reason for this.

When the infrastructure finally gets good enough to allow games to be streamed without any issues then streaming games is going to become the norm. The gaming industry as we know it today is going to change because it will have to. If you're a big fish then you're going to have companies offering you billion dollar contracts for exclusivity deals. We're going to see a lot of game developers merge just so they can increase their value in order to get bigger contract deals. Subscription service providers are going to be trying to amass as many partners as possible and if you don't got the money to compete then you will not survive. This shit is inevitable, I accepted this a long time ago. Ya'll need to hurry up and do the same because this is going to happen rather you want it to or not.

13 minutes ago, ghostz said:

EA games are all on gamepass automatically.  You get a 10 hour free window to play it, and if you want to buy you get a discount. If you don’t want to buy, it will be 100% unlocked after 5-7 months. 

I'm aware of this, I'm speaking theoretically in the future what could happen among competition. It's inevitable that some services would have some from of exclusive content like Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ are doing with their own movies and TV shows. 

43 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I'm aware of this, I'm speaking theoretically in the future what could happen among competition. It's inevitable that some services would have some from of exclusive content like Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ are doing with their own movies and TV shows. 

Oh yeah. Well there’s a golden age, aka before everyone starts to do it. But yeah you’re definitely right, that’s inevitable.