E3 2022 officially cancelled - No in person or digital event

Just now, Substatic said:

Good, now devs don't have to waste time and money for fake gameplay Demos that in no way actually represent the product.

you know...there's something to this. i enjoy nintendo directs and sony state of plays way more, since they tend to show off actual gameplay and not pre-rendered clips. the only thing i miss about E3 are the megatons. i think ps4's $399 price tag was the last true E3 megaton.

Still sucks.  I'll always have a soft spot for E3, despite the later ones being shit.  Especially when Sony stopped trying... their last couple of E3 shows were embarrassingly bad.

I miss there being no politics bullshit, booth babes all over the floors promoting games and swag, having awesome conferences with megaton announcements.. Channels like G4 going behind the scenes with videos from the show floor.. doing interviews with devs and hot babes.  Game demos from E3 being released in magazines... waiting for magazines with behind the scenes looks and new information about stuff coming in the mail..  New technologies were constantly coming out.. that were just jaw droppingly impressive.  Arcade machines showing us what the future would be like...  THOSE were exciting E3s.

I like the "E3 week" type of thing better than all these little "Directs" and shit... I'm going to be honest.  There's no excitement behind them.  You either already know what they are showing, or it's just lame shit padded with junky indie games.

With E3.. you KNEW that all the big pubs and developers were holding onto their stuff for one massive week of announcements.  Now they're not really competing for attention from each other... so they're just lame.  There's no clever marketing behind them.  They're sterile trailer after trailer lame shit.  A conference with an audience and someone demoing the game, is ALWAYS going to be better than some fucking lame pre-recorded cut of gameplay.  The reactions from the audience to some kick ass demo was always the best part.  We'll never get that "MGS2 E3 2000" type of next level, unbelievable type reveal... nor the "Halo 2 E3 2003" level of hype reveal, nor a "Zelda TTP 2004" type of frenzied reaction from a Nintendo game ever again...

Shit is lost :( 

• Sad 1

Summer games fest is geoff keighley, right?

Dude is always desperate to organize anything, so that he can put his face on camera again.

It would be smart if they coordinated in such a way to give indies their own week, and then mid-tier developers would get their own week, and then it ends with the big companies announcing their stuff, so that nobody is drowned out like what happens at a usual E3.

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah but E3 has that special energy and scale to it, this show is fine but doesn't compare as a replacement.

How do you know?  Before E3 CES was the big game event. 

11 minutes ago, lostfool said:

How do you know?  Before E3 CES was the big game event. 

CES was never a big gaming event. And I've been to E3 once. It was one of the less exciting years but it was still a cool experience, and no digital event is going to replace that.

4 hours ago, Remij said:

Still sucks.  I'll always have a soft spot for E3, despite the later ones being shit.  Especially when Sony stopped trying... their last couple of E3 shows were embarrassingly bad.

I miss there being no politics bullshit, booth babes all over the floors promoting games and swag, having awesome conferences with megaton announcements.. Channels like G4 going behind the scenes with videos from the show floor.. doing interviews with devs and hot babes.  Game demos from E3 being released in magazines... waiting for magazines with behind the scenes looks and new information about stuff coming in the mail..  New technologies were constantly coming out.. that were just jaw droppingly impressive.  Arcade machines showing us what the future would be like...  THOSE were exciting E3s.

I like the "E3 week" type of thing better than all these little "Directs" and shit... I'm going to be honest.  There's no excitement behind them.  You either already know what they are showing, or it's just lame shit padded with junky indie games.

With E3.. you KNEW that all the big pubs and developers were holding onto their stuff for one massive week of announcements.  Now they're not really competing for attention from each other... so they're just lame.  There's no clever marketing behind them.  They're sterile trailer after trailer lame shit.  A conference with an audience and someone demoing the game, is ALWAYS going to be better than some fucking lame pre-recorded cut of gameplay.  The reactions from the audience to some kick ass demo was always the best part.  We'll never get that "MGS2 E3 2000" type of next level, unbelievable type reveal... nor the "Halo 2 E3 2003" level of hype reveal, nor a "Zelda TTP 2004" type of frenzied reaction from a Nintendo game ever again...

Shit is lost :( 

Gaming isn’t what it used to be. I mean, there are many excellent newer games. However, the scene doesn’t feel as special now. It’s too saturated. Its magic has been diluted. But hey, at least we got to experience it at its peak! 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, -GD-X said:

Riiiiiiiiiiiidge racer!! 

Fuckin' Kaz.

That embarrassing Lair demo also comes to mind. The fuckin' birth of the Killzone smilie from the bullshit "gameplay" demo of Killzone.

It was just so legendary bad. LOL

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Fuckin' Kaz.

That embarrassing Lair demo also comes to mind. The fuckin' birth of the Killzone smilie from the bullshit "gameplay" demo of Killzone.

It was just so legendary bad. LOL

Yeah, their 2006 E3 was terrible! 

39 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Gaming isn’t what it used to be. I mean, there are many excellent newer games. However, the scene doesn’t feel as special now. It’s too saturated. Its magic has been diluted. But hey, at least we got to experience it at its peak! 

We really did.

• Like 1