Anybody use a Microsoft Surface Pro?

Looking at Microsoft games and consoles:

spacer.png

Looking at Microsoft Surface:

spacer.png

I bought a folding keyboard for my iPad several years ago and generally loved the form factor and versatility of it but it never helped me from a productivity point of view because, lets face it, its a fucking iPad. I could never get on board with the file system (or total lack of) on an iPad let alone the lack of any real substitute for office. The surface is completely overcoming that problem for me, it appears to really offer the best of both whether you want a Tablet or Laptop. I've recently set up a design consultancy, and although I really wouldn't fit into the hipster artist bubble that they're aiming it at, at least with the marketing, I can see me getting a lot of use out of it. I would also plan to remote desktop into my PC if ever I had to use any intensive design programs. 

Question is, does anyone use one? Can you recommend it? 

Edited by Cell
  • Cell changed the title to Anybody use a Microsoft Surface Pro?

I really like the Surface BOOK design with the fully detachable tablet. They're slick, they feel very well built and they're super powerful.

The Pro design with the kickstand really doesn't work for me. I do a lot of half-coding, half-napping with a normal laptop on my chest. The flip out stand just sucks for that, or even basic LAPtop functionality.

I guess if you mostly want a tablet, and only need a laptop occasionally, it could work. But I'd rather have Android/iOS/ChromeOS for that because imo windows blows as a tablet OS.

Also all MS laptops are impossible to service, so you better get that extended warranty.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

I really like the Surface BOOK design with the fully detachable tablet. They're slick, they feel very well built and they're super powerful.

The Pro design with the kickstand really doesn't work for me. I do a lot of half-coding, half-napping with a normal laptop on my chest. The flip out stand just sucks for that, or even basic LAPtop functionality.

I guess if you mostly want a tablet, and only need a laptop occasionally, it could work. But I'd rather have Android/iOS/ChromeOS for that because imo windows blows as a tablet OS.

Also all MS laptops are impossible to service, so you better get that extended warranty.

Ok, great to know, because I'm leaning more towards laptop functionality than tablet. 

28 minutes ago, Cell said:

Ok, great to know, because I'm leaning more towards laptop functionality than tablet. 

I've got an HP Spectre X360, which is a 13" 2:1 where the screen goes all the way around for a tablet-like position. It makes for a pretty bad ipad, but I do like it when I'm reading a book / big doc or like a kitchen recipe. It also came with a nice pen, but I don't use it. I probably only use the tablet mode like 5% of the time, and it's overwhelmingly just a thin laptop.

If it uses windows 10 I would avoid. You normally need beefy i.e gaming hardware to get W10 to run anywhere close to acceptable, then there is the bloat and rot.

A new one should come with W11 but I'm not convined performance will be there in the long run based on windows history.

man, it's like you were reading my mind. i love the touch screen of a tablet, but i would love to run real programs (maybe simple steam games too), not mobile apps. what's the best bang for the buck device?

1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

man, it's like you were reading my mind. i love the touch screen of a tablet, but i would love to run real programs (maybe simple steam games too), not mobile apps. what's the best bang for the buck device?

The surface pro is your best bet. 

Ive had one since 2019, full desktop functionality in a tablet form factor.  Nice and compact. Never going back to laptops. 

Get the bundle that comes with the keyboard. 

I also have the surface pen and the mouse as well. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

The surface pro is your best bet. 

Ive had one since 2019, full desktop functionality in a tablet form factor.  Nice and compact. Never going back to laptops. 

Get the bundle that comes with the keyboard. 

I also have the surface pen and the mouse as well. 

Thanks! I’ll look into them. 

1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

At this point you might want to wait for the first wave of Intel Arc Laptops this summer. They're going to be the first regular consumer laptops with competent gaming performance.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Twinblade said:

At this point you might want to wait for the first wave of Intel Arc Laptops this summer. They're going to be the first regular consumer laptops with competent gaming performance.

oh yeah! good idea!

Yeah we use all Microsoft where I work.  The latest tablets and Surface laptops.  They got some nice specs on the higher end models.  Of course we use Windows, the Office suites, MS Visio, MS Project, O365 for collaboration and email.  Many third party apps of course but everything is based off MS...you know..  just like most companies on the planet.  Other companies may not use Surface devices but they all use MS products like as described above.  Wonder how much my company pays MS in licenses each year?  :wonder: 

Edited by Spicalicious