So the Chrono Cross Remaster released.. and it's pretty rough

Typical SquareEnix shit job..

I got it on PC and honestly it's pretty terrible.. however, if you force Vsync and run in classic mode.. it's not too bad.  Battles fluctuate constantly.. and there's terrible input lag in the menus... but this new edition is still probably the best way to play the game these days, just for the QoL improvements alone.

Again... it's pretty bad... but it's playable.  Mods will probably fix the game up a bit on PC. You can easily remove the shitty blue/grey background border and make it pure black.. which is a huge improvement already lol.  As it is, it's serviceable.. though I wouldn't blame anyone for refunding it immediately lol..

But anyway, what other classic JRPGs would you guys like to see brought to modern platforms?

Obviously I'd love them to bring Suikoden 1+2.. and games like Skies of Arcadia would be cool.  On Switch it would be cool to see the Baten Kaitos games brought back.

If I'm honest I'd love for them to bring over tons and tons of classic 16bit/32bit JRPGs.. just so they aren't lost in time.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

I don't understand why companies do this.  Take a beloved classic and remaster it for a new generation just to shit all over it.

Yep.  I can literally load the rom up DuckStation and instantly it's immediately smoother lol.  I can then use cheatengine to add a fast forward button as well.  That's like 90% of the experience right there.

It's a low effort job to be sure.  Typical of SquareEnix these days.  They released a patch for Chrono Trigger on PC which adds 21:9 support... and that aspect is great.. but they broke some shit in the process, and now I refuse to play the game because check this out..

Look how the character judders when you move diagonally..

That never happened before... it was introduced with the update.  They fucked something up and it's still not patched...  :shake: 

• Sad 1

I hated Chrono Cross when it released so I never had any intention of buying the remaster.

I will grab the FF Pixel Remasters though whenever SquareEnix decides to release them on console... Why they aren't on console already is something I'll never understand.

16 minutes ago, Sabo said:

I hated Chrono Cross when it released so I never had any intention of buying the remaster.

I will grab the FF Pixel Remasters though whenever SquareEnix decides to release them on console... Why they aren't on console already is something I'll never understand.

SquareEnix are just fucking stupid these days.

And the Pixel Remasters are great.. but I honestly wouldn't care about them if there wasn't the ability to mod them lol.  They have a lot of issues in their own right which are corrected easily though mods.. that's what makes them so great IMO.

On 2022-04-08 at 9:47 PM, Remij said:

But anyway, what other classic JRPGs would you guys like to see brought to modern platforms?

Obviously I'd love them to bring Suikoden 1+2.. and games like Skies of Arcadia would be cool.  On Switch it would be cool to see the Baten Kaitos games brought back.

If I'm honest I'd love for them to bring over tons and tons of classic 16bit/32bit JRPGs.. just so they aren't lost in time.

Assuming SE doesn't botch them and release quality remasters like FF8 then I want Parasite Eve, Valkyrie Profile and Xenogears. All three games aged really well, it wouldn't take a whole lot of effort to make them great again.

Vagrant Story would be good too but I'd want to see more QoL improvements from that game, the game mechanics were weird as fuck and poorly explained. I don't think I ever fully grasped the combat system and the timed attack button prompts were fucking annoying.

And Breath of Fire III and IV from Capcom since I don't think I ever played either of them. 

On 2022-04-08 at 10:51 PM, Sabo said:

I loved Chrono Cross when it came out, I guess I never really considered it as a true sequel to Chrono Trigger so that helped with my expectations.

But playing it nowadays make me realize it's very overrated among classic Squaresoft RPGs. I don't have the same high opinion I used to, the game has a lot of great things going for it but also a lot of baffling decisions at the same time. It's not on the same level as something like Xenogears or FF7. 

4 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Assuming SE doesn't botch them and release quality remasters like FF8 then I want Parasite Eve, Valkyrie Profile and Xenogears. All three games aged really well, it wouldn't take a whole lot of effort to make them great again.

Vagrant Story would be good too but I'd want to see more QoL improvements from that game, the game mechanics were weird as fuck and poorly explained. I don't think I ever fully grasped the combat system and the timed attack button prompts were fucking annoying.

And Breath of Fire III and IV from Capcom since I don't think I ever played either of them. 

Breath of Fire III and IV would be another couple of dream games for me.  I'd love to pay Capcom for those games on modern platforms.

Same with Suikoden 1 and 2.  Like jesus.. 

I have all of them on emulator of course, but I'd like to have them officially on PC.

Still though... anything can happen these days.  We're getting games and re-releases from the past that I'd never thought would ever happen in a million years.

Between Steam and GOG... you have access to tons of classics these days.

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Breath of Fire III and IV would be another couple of dream games for me.  I'd love to pay Capcom for those games on modern platforms.

Same with Suikoden 1 and 2.  Like jesus.. 

I have all of them on emulator of course, but I'd like to have them officially on PC.

Still though... anything can happen these days.  We're getting games and re-releases from the past that I'd never thought would ever happen in a million years.

Between Steam and GOG... you have access to tons of classics these days.

Speaking of classics. I saw MGS1 on GoG, I wonder if it's a shitty port? I don't even remember MGS1 ever coming out on PC. 

I remember wanting to buy a Bleemcast just to play MGS1 and Gran Turismo 2 with improved textures. :lul: 

3 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Speaking of classics. I saw MGS1 on GoG, I wonder if it's a shitty port? I don't even remember MGS1 ever coming out on PC. 

I remember wanting to buy a Bleemcast just to play MGS1 and Gran Turismo 2 with improved textures. :lul: 

I have them and they're great from what I've played.  GOG went and fixed the issues the original ports had running on new operating systems and hardware.. and there's also a fan patch for MGS2 which fixes a lot of stuff too..

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013898837-Fixes-for-METAL-GEAR-SOLID-implemented-by-GOG-and-fan-made-mods-recommendations?product=gog

The MGS2 fan patch is awesome.  It comes with it's own installer to make it easy, and has a nice menu to choose settings.

gallery_0.png gallery_1.png

gallery_3.png Tab_Extra.PNG

Out of convenience, it's now easily the best way to just play them on PC.

• Upvote 1