TSHBR - House of the Dead Remake coming to PC, PS4, XO, and Stadia

8 hours ago, Remij said:

People who grew up with these games in the arcades and home console/pc conversions.. which many of us did.. and those who like light gun games, and VR in general.

Move support was already confirmed for PS4, and light gun support for PC was already a given.. since it literally acts as the mouse pointer.. so as soon as this game was announced I was excited because I knew what was coming.

I'd love for Namco to remake Time Crisis and release a new guncon as well.  That would be amazing.  Did you ever play any of these types of games with the guns?  They're short sure, but they're fun to pull out every so often and play with friends.

Yes, I grew up with light gun games and was one of the saddest when consoles were doing away with them. I also remember what it was like when there was a a resurgence in the genre thanks to arcade units and the utter disappointing experience playing them on home consoles. 

House of the Dead sucked. It's just the biggest name in the genre because of the camp factor. Time Crisis was the true king, but at the end of the day they are novelties and lack of specific hardware makes them even less interesting. 

Edited by Mr. Impossible

Grabbed this today.  Looks great on PC, and runs beautifully.  It's such a short game though.. only like ~30m long lol.  There are some other modes though.. but I haven't tried them yet.

Just a quick comparison from a couple of youtube videos I've seen.  The PC version looks completely different in some areas from the PS4/Switch console versions, which seem to share the same settings.  The developers already confirmed next-gen patches for PS5 and Series X.. so those should bring them in line with the PC version.

(I cropped these images from the youtube videos)

PS4

1155.png

PC

1112.png

PS4

54325.png

PC

12554.png

There's a lot of changes overall.  The character G, looks completely different, and there's different direction to some of the cutscenes.  It uses completely different models and textures for some areas/parts of the levels.. and the lighting is completely different in most cases.

To be fair I think the Switch and PS4/XO versions have a graphics mode and performance mode, so I'm not sure which mode those screens are taken from, but I remember the difference between them not being anything significant, like the PC version is.  And another cool aspect of the PC version is that when you kill the zombies or destroy shit or whatever, the enemies remain on screen and have ragdoll physics to them so you can keep blasting them and they'll flop around.  On the console versions the enemies disappear right after you shoot them.

Also pleasantly surprised to see that the game supports Ultrawide on PC.

The devs are already working on House of the Dead 2, which is a much better game, so I can't wait for that one.  I gotta get a Sinden light gun.  Hopefully the genre can see some sort of resurgence.  Yes VR would be better... but there's fun to playing light-gun games on the screen as well, like local multiplayer.

Would be amazing if this sold well, and Namco decided to make a Time Crisis remake... that would be the best.

Edited by Remij
  • Upvote 1