Nintendo of America is apparently an awful company to work for

They hire contractors. That’s who is complaining. Most people will understand that when they start a job. Full-time employees of the actual company is probably a great gig. 

Its almost exclusively the owners of whomever is being contracted by Nintendo.

Nintendo has routinely been at the top of employee surveys in Japan as one of the best companies to work for.

I've heard of the Pokemon Company affiliate headquarters in the Northwest US is a company that tons of graphics artists are hoping to get a job at.

19 hours ago, Ike said:

They hire contractors. That’s who is complaining. Most people will understand that when they start a job. Full-time employees of the actual company is probably a great gig. 

The problem is that they rely way too much on them instead of promoting fulltime work culture.

NoA reminds me of ESPN, a truly awful company to work for.

A college friend told me great stories about how he got hired to work for ESPN and after 6 months, they didn't renew his contract despite doing a good job.

He was also doing part-time and no benefits.

45 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

The problem is that they rely way too much on them instead of promoting fulltime work culture.

NoA reminds me of ESPN, a truly awful company to work for.

A college friend told me great stories about how he got hired to work for ESPN and after 6 months, they didn't renew his contract despite doing a good job.

He was also doing part-time and no benefits.

No, there doesn't appear to be any evidence that Nintendo employs "too many" contractors.

Nintendo has one of, if not the single highest employee retention rate in the video game industry.

According to one of Nintendo's annual reports, the average employee retention last 14 years.

People do not stay at a company that they hate for 14 years, on average. That's the AVERAGE Nintendo employee.

54 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No, there doesn't appear to be any evidence that Nintendo employs "too many" contractors.

Nintendo has one of, if not the single highest employee retention rate in the video game industry.

According to one of Nintendo's annual reports, the average employee retention last 14 years.

People do not stay at a company that they hate for 14 years, on average. That's the AVERAGE Nintendo employee.

Yeah, that's not what the article says.

9 hours ago, Mr. Impossible said:

It's safe to say that working for any game developers probably sucks. 

This.  

Without reading the article, I can only imagine Nintendo being stuck in their own certain ways is probably frustrating to some developers.. and probably working within tight technological limits is also frustrating to some developers as well.. but at the end of the day, probably no worse than anywhere else.  Devs love to complain, it seems.

yea, the gaming industry seems like a shit show from a business perspective. I'm pretty sure everyone of us has at least one really good idea for games or at least mechanics that will never be discovered :mjcry: 

I know it's only logical from a business perspective to copy&paste mechanics over and over but by the flood of games we have now it's sometimes embarrassing how similar games are

Edited by kaz