Sony showing Nintendo how it's done - If you already own select PS1/PSP classics that come to PS+ you will not be required to purchase them or join the service to play them

Classic Games Catalog 

PlayStation Plus Premium**/Deluxe Plan

PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe members will have a selection of popular classic games to play, with some titles that will show improved frame rates and higher-quality resolution compared to their original launch versions. For select original PlayStation and PSP classic games, members will also enjoy a new user interface with menus that allow you to save your game at any time, or even rewind the game if you want a do-over

Also, players who have previously purchased the digital version of select games from the original PlayStation and PSP generation will not have to make a separate purchase or sign up to PlayStation Plus to play these titles on PS4 or PS5. When these titles are released for PS4 and PS5, players can head to PlayStation Store and download a version for the consoles at no extra cost if they already own the digital version of the title. Some of the titles will also be available for individual purchase. 

Additionally, some remastered classics from previous console generations will be added to the PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe plan. Below is an early look at a selection of games that will be available. 

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/05/16/all-new-playstation-plus-game-lineup-assassins-creed-valhalla-demons-souls-ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-nba-2k22-and-more-join-the-service/

Sounds good for PS fans.  As the classic games come to PS+, if you already own them on PSN, you can play them and don't have to purchase them again.

This is what Nintendo should be doing.  Their entire catalog of classic games should be purchasable and forward compatible from now on...

Edited by Remij

Ubisoft+ is also coming to PlaystationPlus

It was already announced for Xbox just a short while ago, so it's good to see PS fans getting in on Ubisoft's games if they care about them lol.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Ubisoft+ is also coming to PlaystationPlus

It was already announced for Xbox just a short while ago, so it's good to see PS fans getting in on Ubisoft's games if they care about them lol.

After the godly Elden Ring, I can never play another Ubisoft game lol

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

After the godly Elden Ring, I can never play another Ubisoft game lol

I think there's going to be a massive amount of people who may not have realized it before Elden Ring, but they certainly will now.  People are tired of Ubisofts by-the-numbers approach to open world game design.

We'll see if Elden Ring's success will have influenced them to change up their formula for the future.  Hopefully they do, because Ubisoft CAN make great games.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Remij said:

I think there's going to be a massive amount of people who may not have realized it before Elden Ring, but they certainly will now.  People are tired of Ubisofts by-the-numbers approach to open world game design.

We'll see if Elden Ring's success will have influenced them to change up their formula for the future.  Hopefully they do, because Ubisoft CAN make great games.

Definitely! They create amazing open worlds. The mission designs are now heavily dated. But the talent is there. 

• Like 1

Wow, this is a pretty big deal for me. I own a nice collection of digital only PSP games that I was thinking about getting PS Premium for a while ago. The fact I don’t need to subscribe to PS Plus to access them on my PS5 is a huge win in my book. Saves me some money, I can stick with my current plan and still play them on my PS5.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FIREPOWER said:

Wow, this is a pretty big deal for me. I own a nice collection of digital only PSP games that I was thinking about getting PS Premium for a while ago. The fact I don’t need to subscribe to PS Plus to access them on my PS5 is a huge win in my book. Saves me some money, I can stick with my current plan and still play them on my PS5.

You’ve said multiple times you weren’t getting it and it’s worthless. :D 

1 hour ago, ghostz said:

You’ve said multiple times you weren’t getting it and it’s worthless. :D 

:drake: I'm still not getting it you dumbass. The PSP games I wanted for it are coming to me for free at no extra charge.

Can't you read? Sony says they aren't charging for games you already own unlike Nintendo.

I'm rejoicing because the only feature that was tempting me to get the PS Plus Premium service has now been announced as a free feature for everyone including non-subscribers of PS Plus (I'm a PS Plus basic member though).

Edited by FIREPOWER

Well, I wonder if Nintendo is capable of going through game purchases through the Wii and DSi Shop, and also from the Wii U and 3DS eShop so that they at least have a record of those transactions, and can tie those to your Nintendo account.

Its got to be somewhat possible, because I had to call them get all of my free games that I had gotten by being an "ambassador" (3DS launch owner) onto a new 3DS that I bought, because I had lost the original 3DS launch unit. And the Nintendo rep on the phone wanted me to name on specific purchase I had made on my DSi in order to verify that the account was mine.

It felt like I was playing a game show over the phone. The guy on the phone was even giving me hints. lol

Very consumer friendly move and pretty surprising tbh but good to hear. 

The games list is also fairly impressive so far. Definitely more tempting than it has ever been but i'll probably still pass for now. At least seeming like a decent competitor. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, jehurey said:

Well, I wonder if Nintendo is capable of going through game purchases through the Wii and DSi Shop, and also from the Wii U and 3DS eShop so that they at least have a record of those transactions, and can tie those to your Nintendo account.

Its got to be somewhat possible, because I had to call them get all of my free games that I had gotten by being an "ambassador" (3DS launch owner) onto a new 3DS that I bought, because I had lost the original 3DS launch unit. And the Nintendo rep on the phone wanted me to name on specific purchase I had made on my DSi in order to verify that the account was mine.

It felt like I was playing a game show over the phone. The guy on the phone was even giving me hints. lol

I don't think it's a question of whether or not they can.. but rather if they want to.  And they currently have no incentive to do this type of thing because they know they can get away with charging for it again.  In the case of Switch, now they simply want to tie the ability to play these games (which many people have purchased already on various other platforms connected to or linked to the same account) to their online subscription component because it makes their barebones service appear to have more value.  We already know that's why they roll them out bit by bit... so they can continually "add value" to the service and keep people subbed.

Nintendo doesn't charge as much for online of course... but when your service is as barebones as Nintendo's is compared to your competitors, you pretty much have to.

They could easily have the 3DS, Wii/U, and Switch accounts and purchases all linked together.  You shouldn't have to buy all these games again, or sub to a service to do so.