Steam Deck is mindblowing

Spoiler

tshbo

spacer.png

The fucking thing plays Cyberpunk at a stable 30.

Since Friday I've installed 40 games on it, all looking and running great. SteamOS is great at unlocking PC tweakability but in a unified, simple UI.  Battery life is surprisingly good as long as youre not pushing the hardware to its limits. Games like Arkham Knight and Outer Worlds get > 3 hours with a 40 fps cap. Games like Cuphead and Hades get > 5.

Im blown away at how it feels like a new experience. Obviously it is a Switch competitor, but the more impressive thing is its a fully tailored PC platform unlike anything we've seen yet.

Edited by sugarhigh
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The fucking thing plays Cyberpunk at a stable 30.   Since Friday I've installed 40 games on it, all looking and running great. SteamOS is great at unlocking PC tweakability but in a unified,

So I reserved one.. I'm an idiot. Just the 64gb one. Got an extra 512gb sd card laying around. 

Jerrys list of rules for what people are and are not allowed to do with their steamdeck   - You can't play at medium settings 720p (even though sheep hyped Doom and Witcher on Switch)

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

How many times during your play sessions did you think ‘why am I playing these dumbed down PC games when I can just play the better looking and playing versions on my PC?’ Cause that would be my biggest question.

Of course not, because I've owned some of these games for years and haven't played them. I'm trying to get away from the desk, not spend more time there.

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

How many times during your play sessions did you think ‘why am I playing these dumbed down PC games when I can just play the better looking and playing versions on my PC?’ Cause that would be my biggest question.

:Jeff:You could say that about the vast majority of games across Switch, Playstation, Xbox. Anything aside from exclusives really.

6 hours ago, TLHBO said:

:Jeff:You could say that about the vast majority of games across Switch, Playstation, Xbox. Anything aside from exclusives really.

Not really.

If you are playing your steam games on the Deck, its because you already had a gaming PC.

And you just sorta debunked your own argument, because those platforms would've enticed you into getting them because of exclusives, so the multiplat games are just extra games you could play on them, if you wanted to.

This video is a perfect example of what OP is basically going to experience.

These are the phases of using a Steam Deck

Phase 1: Oh my god this is amazing

Phase 2:  It can actually be better, let me fiddle around with it

Phase 3 (beginning around the middle of the video): Ummm...I fucked things up, its actually freezing and artifacting on me

Phase 4: I mostly fixed most of it, and it looks like a blurry mess at 60fps

Phase 5: Well, its amazed that I at least GOT IT to run at 60, that counts for something right?

Phase 6: Doesn't really want to play the game that way and quits.

Gaurantee 4 weeks from now, OP will admit he just uses it for 2D indie games.

3 hours ago, jehurey said:

Not really.

If you are playing your steam games on the Deck, its because you already had a gaming PC.

And you just sorta debunked your own argument, because those platforms would've enticed you into getting them because of exclusives, so the multiplat games are just extra games you could play on them, if you wanted to.

This video is a perfect example of what OP is basically going to experience.

These are the phases of using a Steam Deck

Phase 1: Oh my god this is amazing

Phase 2:  It can actually be better, let me fiddle around with it

Phase 3 (beginning around the middle of the video): Ummm...I fucked things up, its actually freezing and artifacting on me

Phase 4: I mostly fixed most of it, and it looks like a blurry mess at 60fps

Phase 5: Well, its amazed that I at least GOT IT to run at 60, that counts for something right?

Phase 6: Doesn't really want to play the game that way and quits.

Gaurantee 4 weeks from now, OP will admit he just uses it for 2D indie games.

Firstly, in the case of Xbox it has no exclusives so no.

Secondly, people here own multiple systems anyway but still game on console over PC. In fact many of you sheep were playing Doom and Witcher on Switch despite owning either PC/PS4/Xbox One. The excuse was always that you preferred the handheld form factor, that is true for the Steamdeck too. There are are some games or some moments where people might just want to play on a handheld. Lay off the indie bashing too as many people play those on their Switch too.

• dead 1
1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

Firstly, in the case of Xbox it has no exclusives so no.

Secondly, people here own multiple systems anyway but still game on console over PC. In fact many of you sheep were playing Doom and Witcher on Switch despite owning either PC/PS4/Xbox One. The excuse was always that you preferred the handheld form factor, that is true for the Steamdeck too. There are are some games or some moments where people might just want to play on a handheld. Lay off the indie bashing too as many people play those on their Switch too.

Hey at least with the SteamDeck you guys can finally admit this :umad:

26 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Hey at least with the SteamDeck you guys can finally admit this :umad:

And now it's the Sheep who can't admit it :umad:

At least with the deck we know its true because a full fledged PC setup is still available. With Switch we had to question every sheep suddenly preferring every game in handheld form the moment Nintendo only offers a handheld. It also depends on a game by game basis. There are some that would be nice on a handheld and some I would not want to play on a handheld.

4 hours ago, TLHBO said:

At least with the deck we know its true because a full fledged PC setup is still available. With Switch we had to question every sheep suddenly preferring every game in handheld form the moment Nintendo only offers a handheld. It also depends on a game by game basis. There are some that would be nice on a handheld and some I would not want to play on a handheld.

Yeah Switch killed the big Sheep lie that it's bad to have console games on the go.

The reason why I led with Cyberpunk is that it proves the Deck can handle all current games. It shows the longevity of the device because indie devs like Team Cherry and Cellar Door will probably never make a game that can't run on here.

8 hours ago, TLHBO said:

The Switch is a Hybrid Dufus :umad:

But at least you can finally admit the certain benefits of the hand held option. :cmpunk2:

4 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

Yeah Switch killed the big Sheep lie that it's bad to have console games on the go.

The reason why I led with Cyberpunk is that it proves the Deck can handle all current games. It shows the longevity of the device because indie devs like Team Cherry and Cellar Door will probably never make a game that can't run on here.

Previous handhelds couldn't realy do full console games in the go, it was half assed. 

Switch was the first handled to successfully give you the full console experience on the go. 

All other attempts to actual console games on the go were half assed. 

And Cyberpunk is a cross gen game not current gen genius. 

Yes SteamDeck will play indies for a very very long time, congrats. 

Edited by Goukosan
2 hours ago, Goukosan said:

Previous handhelds couldn't realy do full console games in the go, it was half assed. 

Switch was the first handled to successfully give you the full console experience on the go. 

Keep telling yourself that Witcher 3 port was "the full console experience". :kaz:

Nintendo is stooping so low as streaming games like Control. :|

Cyberpunk is one of the only next gen engines available to test, gtfo. There's a reason Sony stopped selling it on PS4.

1 hour ago, Remij said:

We literally have people in here acting like there isn't a market for portable devices :drake: 

LOL that thing isn't portable.

Let me know when you're actually using it outside your home.

We know there's a market for portable devices..........we've seen the Switch break sales records. We've known for 5 years.

4 hours ago, Goukosan said:

Sheep retcon history like a liberal editing wikipedia.

To address your previous post, I wouldn't say Switch is really a hybrid. It's a suçcessful handheld but a gimped console, so Sheep are forced to approach from the handheld side to save face.

Secondly your excuse in this post is bullshit. I remember Sheep - and Jerry specifically - telling us that nobody wanted home console games on a handheld, they wanted different experiences, unique experiences, the kind of games you could only get on DS. That all changed right around....oooh right around the time Nintendo announced the Switch. Funny how that works.

• aitch 1
5 hours ago, TLHBO said:

Secondly your excuse in this post is bullshit. I remember Sheep - and Jerry specifically - telling us that nobody wanted home console games on a handheld

really?

post where I said that?

you're pulling that absolutely out of your ass.