Steam Deck is mindblowing

17 hours ago, Remij said:

This thing is awesome.  

Here's a pic I took of God of War running on PC maxed out a while back.  I just downsized the image to 720p for straight comparison purposes.  I got to the same part on the Deck and then took a screenshot. 

PC

god-of-war-pc.jpg

Deck (30fps lock, NO FSR.. this is straight TAA)

god-of-war-deck1.jpg

It looks incredibly similar, mind the slighting different armors that Kratos and Atreus are sporting.. lol

Seeing a game like this, run on a device like this is just awesome.  And the fact that it's being done on a portable device, that's running an operating system not meant to run it, and having to run through Proton, and yet working flawlessly.. is crazy.  I have a powered USB-C hub and connected it to my TV.  It looks, and runs as good as the PS4 version.  PS4 has a bit higher resolution, but the Deck is actually running higher settings.

The power on tap for 800p is pretty fucking insane. I'm blown away by fidelity of Outer Worlds and God of War. The TV experience still needs some work. Resolution detection and UI scaling are the most neglected aspect of the Deck experience right now. You can see some downright broken shit connecting to a 4k TV.  I'm hoping FSR2 can help overcome more of the low res artifacting

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The fucking thing plays Cyberpunk at a stable 30.   Since Friday I've installed 40 games on it, all looking and running great. SteamOS is great at unlocking PC tweakability but in a unified,

So I reserved one.. I'm an idiot. Just the 64gb one. Got an extra 512gb sd card laying around. 

Jerrys list of rules for what people are and are not allowed to do with their steamdeck   - You can't play at medium settings 720p (even though sheep hyped Doom and Witcher on Switch)

Posted Images

4 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

The power on tap for 800p is pretty fucking insane. I'm blown away by fidelity of Outer Worlds and God of War. The TV experience still needs some work. Resolution detection and UI scaling are the most neglected aspect of the Deck experience right now. You can see some downright broken shit connecting to a 4k TV.  I'm hoping FSR2 can help overcome more of the low res artifacting

Yep at 800p it's pretty damn powerful.  It's essentially an 800p last gen console... which let's be honest... are essentially 1080/900p current gen consoles at this point..  I'm very impressed at the handheld experience.  It's vastly exceeded my expectations in all honesty.

As for the external display experience, it does still need some work overall.  You can tell that it hasn't been quite as polished as the handheld experience at this point, understandably.  They've already stated that they're working on that so fixes are coming.

That said... I've actually found the external display experience to be quite damn good out of the box.. and the very recent update improved performance of the UI when connected to external displays. 

In general, when playing on external displays you have to make sure that you have the scaling settings set properly.  Also make sure your USB-C hub supports 4K/60 and 1080p/60.. a lot of them are only 4K/30.  I was surprised to see the Deck UI supported my Ultrawide monitor perfectly. :aitch:

deck1.jpg

Edited by Remij

This shit is CRAZY. Gears 5 (not supported because of EAC, but easily passable) running on the Deck looks INCREDIBLE.  On the handheld itself, at native res 1280x800, 60fps is easy peasy at medium/high settings. Looks insane.

But I wanted to test what it could do with it on my 3840x1600 Ultrawide at 30fps....

download-4.jpg

download-5.jpg

download-2.jpg

This is running in ultrawide at like 1080p... at like medium settings... on a 15w device..... It looks fucking INCREDIBLE. WOW. :aitch:

This is before UE4/5's new TAA injection tech, or any FRS2.0 tech too... :whew: 

Edited by Remij
  • aitch 1
4 minutes ago, Remij said:

This shit is CRAZY. Gears 5 (not supported because of EAC, but easily passable) running on the Deck looks INCREDIBLE.  On the handheld itself, at native res 1280x800, 60fps is easy peasy at medium/high settings. Looks insane.

But I wanted to test what it could do with it on my 3840x1600 Ultrawide at 30fps....

download-4.jpg

download-5.jpg

download-2.jpg

This is running in ultrawide at like 1080p... at like medium settings... on a 15w device..... It looks fucking INCREDIBLE. WOW. :aitch

This is before UE4/5's new TAA injection tech, or any FRS2.0 tech too... :whew: 

I'm really interested to see if UE5 can scale down to the Deck. Gonna try compiling demos this week.

Just now, sugarhigh said:

I'm really interested to see if UE5 can scale down to the Deck. Gonna try compiling demos this week.

I think it's pretty obvious that it will be able to.  It's targeting all devices essentially... Remember that the lower the resolution the lower the cost of nanite and lumen.  That said, it IS CPU intensive, so yea, could be troublesome for the Decks 4c/8t CPU.

I wouldn't put much stock into the demos that are out there right now.  They're highly unoptimized.. and not only that, I'm not sure if they would even work properly with the current proton versions out there.  That support will come when the games demand it.

• 1 month later...

Recent improvements to the video-out have dramatically improved SteamOS as a console option. There used to be scaling issues, and sometimes incompatible resolution errors going between the built-in display and a 4k tv. Now it'll automatically do FSR scaling to whatever is the native resolution of the display. They should expose more resolution choices for performance options, but the current version delivers a good plug-and-play experience.

Performance navigating menus has improved a ton too. While it's not as slick as Android's 90fps animations, it is a generation ahead of the previous big picture mode.

Valve has done it. They've created a platform that's as easy to use as a console, with none of the drawbacks. TSHBO.

1 hour ago, sugarhigh said:

Recent improvements to the video-out have dramatically improved SteamOS as a console option. There used to be scaling issues, and sometimes incompatible resolution errors going between the built-in display and a 4k tv. Now it'll automatically do FSR scaling to whatever is the native resolution of the display. They should expose more resolution choices for performance options, but the current version delivers a good plug-and-play experience.

Performance navigating menus has improved a ton too. While it's not as slick as Android's 90fps animations, it is a generation ahead of the previous big picture mode.

Valve has done it. They've created a platform that's as easy to use as a console, with none of the drawbacks. TSHBO.

Yeah, they've done a lot of work on optimizing the docked experience recently.  I personally never had any issues with scaling, in all the games I played.  I have a really good USB-C hub though so I'm not sure if that's why or not.  But yes, the navigation performance has improved substantially at 4K resolution.  Before when connected to a TV, it could be slow sometimes.. you could tell it wasn't as well optimized as it should have been.. but they've mostly fixed that all up now.  It'll continue to get better as time goes on too.

It is really slick how they've done everything.  I'm excited for this to replace Big Picture Mode on Desktop PCs... it's sooo much better it's not even funny.