Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida has said the company’s planned acquisition of Bungie “represents a major step forward in becoming more multiplatform”

:vince:

Speaking as part of a corporate strategy meeting, Sony bigwig Kenichiro Yoshida has hinted that the company's acquisition of Bungie represents a "major step forward in becoming more multiplatform". As previously announced, the Destiny developer will retain its independence adjacent to PlayStation Studios, meaning that its games will continue to launch on all viable platforms – including Xbox, PC, and mobile.

Yoshida also touched briefly on PlayStation's emerging PC business, explaining that the company aims to "provide access to our games to as many users as possible" and it'll be "rolling out" more PlayStation Studios titles onto storefronts like Steam and the Epic Games Store in the future. Releases like God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn have already proven incredibly successful on PC, and Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection is the next project confirmed to be making the transition.

Edited by ghostz

Well no shit.  I told you all this.  They're 100% following what MS has done.

They're 3rd party in the exact same capacity as MS is right now.  They release their games on their console and PC, and have some studios which maintain multiplatform games.

And Sony 100% will be inching closer and closer to day and date releases on PC.

I don't know if Sony is actually going to get to day-and-date PC releases. It seems like the approach they're taking is to have dedicated PC porting teams rather than having the primary teams do it. Bungie being the noted exception here. But clearly Sony is moving in that direction, and I like it.

Returnal can't come to the Steak Deck soon enough.

12 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

I don't know if Sony is actually going to get to day-and-date PC releases. It seems like the approach they're taking is to have dedicated PC porting teams rather than having the primary teams do it. Bungie being the noted exception here. But clearly Sony is moving in that direction, and I like it.

Returnal can't come to the Steak Deck soon enough.

They definitely are moving in that direction.  I disagree about the porting teams though.  They'll obviously have porting teams, but the reason why they are purchasing PC porting studios is for the talent.  That talent will integrate with their world wide studios to create the PC versions of the games alongside the console versions and not after the fact.

Basically what I mean is that they'll be like the "ICE Team" was for guiding the technical proficiency of Sony's core studios.. except they'll handle the PC side of it.  Nixxes is one of the top PC porting studios out there.. they bring a ton of knowledge.  They'll integrate into the studios and will allow the teams to develop games with both platforms in mind from the start.  Obviously in the beginning the games will come to PC at a later date.. and having the games developed in mind for both platforms from the beginning will make that porting process much easier as a result.  They'll do more upfront work to make the porting easier after the fact.  Then eventually Sony's teams will become very proficient at developing titles for both simultaneously, and Sony will decide that they want simultaneous releases.

For now though, Sony's studios are all busy making next gen games because Sony needs content to sell their new system.. so it's understandable why they have outside studios porting games to PC like Jetpack Interactive, and Iron Galaxy.  Even the Jetpack Interactive guys (just 3-4 of them) integrated with Sony Santa Monica for 2 years to bring GoW to PC.  That port is amazing too.  Obviously GoW is a bit older now, but ideally that 2 years of work would have happened alongside the games development in the first place.. but these decisions came after the fact obviously.  But you can bet your ass with GoW: Ragnarok, they are working with SSM right as we speak building the game for PC.  Small tiny groups will integrate with the main studios and build them along with the main studios.  It's the most efficient way to do it.. as well as probably the cheapest because you can keep everyone busy with work and keep them flexible.

Edited by Remij

I hope it does work out that way. Might take a few years.  If I could game exclusively on Steam/SteamOS, that would be ideal.

Yo one thing that has to happen is full support for Dualsense haptics on PC. PlayStation is far ahead of the competition on this.

22 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

I hope it does work out that way. Might take a few years.  If I could game exclusively on Steam/SteamOS, that would be ideal.

Yo one thing that has to happen is full support for Dualsense haptics on PC. PlayStation is far ahead of the competition on this.

Yea, it will take some time, but I think by the end of this gen we'll start to see it begin to happen.

There's quite a few games now which have full Dualsense support on PC.  I think they'll release a driver and API for it eventually, but for now developers will just implement it on their own if they decide it's worth it.