Borderlands 3 is free on EGS

Thanks for the heads up even though I probably won't play it. My EGS library ain't bad considering I never paid a cent and don't particularly pay attention to the free games being added. I've missed quite a lot.

Borderlands 3

Darkest Dungeon

Demon's Tilt

Nioh

Remnant from the Ashes

Standed Deep

Speedbrawl

Stubb the Zombie

Tomb Raider Trilogy

Torchlight 2

Tiny Tina's Dragon Keep

Warhammer Total War

Void Bastards

Yooka Laylee

And some other shovelware. Not bad at all.

2 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

I'm trying to figure out if it's more damaging to Epic to redeem their free games and never spend a dime on that shit vs ignoring it completely. I hope EGS fucking dies.

Make sure to dl all their games then. They lost hundreds of million last time I saw the earning reports of EGS and it was mostly because of the freebies. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

I'm trying to figure out if it's more damaging to Epic to redeem their free games and never spend a dime on that shit vs ignoring it completely. I hope EGS fucking dies.

Hey a free game is a free game, and downloading it uses their bandwidth so go for it. I feel you though they have the same sleazeball vibes as Microsoft, I won't be buying anything from Epic.

I have over 200 free games from Epic.  They're recreating a decent chunk of my Steam library at this point lol.

Nice to have a second option.. but I don't usually touch the Epic Game Store outside of the odd exclusive that I don't think will come to Steam.  I only own like 3 or 4 games from actually buying them there.

Their launcher is just painfully slow and shitty to use though.

36 minutes ago, Remij said:

Uh oh, you've invoked the wrath of the EGS defense force. I can already hear the 'it's only been out for 3.5 years, stop expecting a decent user experience overnight reeeeeeeeee' keyboard mashing.

• Haha 1
  • dead 1
1 hour ago, Remij said:

I have over 200 free games from Epic.  They're recreating a decent chunk of my Steam library at this point lol.

Nice to have a second option.. but I don't usually touch the Epic Game Store outside of the odd exclusive that I don't think will come to Steam.  I only own like 3 or 4 games from actually buying them there.

If a game I want is EGS exclusive, I will pirate. The problem with free games is that Epic can claim millions of active users which is crucial when advertising AAA exclusivity to publishers.

10 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Uh oh, you've invoked the wrath of the EGS defense force. I can already hear the 'it's only been out for 3.5 years, stop expecting a decent user experience overnight reeeeeeeeee' keyboard mashing.

I don't give a shit what anyone says.   They can either be honest or not.

The fact is, in the beginning it was fine when you only had a small amount of games.. but as my library has grown, the performance of the client has gotten substantially worse and laggy.  It takes forever to load the games switching from the store to the library tab after first opening the client.  The design of the interface is pretty terrible too.  Sorting games is pathetically limited... and if you search for a specific game in the search bar, it takes forever to find the game until.

It's just bad.. and it doesn't even feel like they're doing anything with it.  I try to use it as little as humanly possible at this point (only to redeem free games really)...   Luckily, I have everything on my PC set up so that everything is portable.  I've ensured that all my game clients and games get installed to the same drives and curated my Steam library by adding all the games from other launchers that aren't on Steam to it.  I have a drive for Steam specifically, I have one for EGS+Ubisoft+Blizzard+GOG+Origin, and then I have a drive which is purely all the emulators and roms.  Everything is set up so that as long as I install those clients to their respective drives, all the paths remain valid.  Same goes for all the emulators and roms I have. 

The only thing I do is make a backup of my Steam userdata folder, which contains all the paths, and library images associated with the games, which allows me to carry it all over. So essentially, I can format my PC whenever I need or want to, I can completely remove any of the game clients and any of the games and whatever, and then just install Steam, copy over the userdata folder, and everything is 100% ready to go.  It's like nothing ever happened.  That's what I love about Steam and how it's truly portable, and the fact that I can do that is what prompted me to put in the effort to do so.. because there's no possible way I would do that if it all went away after a format lol.

Steam :bow: 

9 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

If a game I want is EGS exclusive, I will pirate. The problem with free games is that Epic can claim millions of active users which is crucial when advertising AAA exclusivity to publishers.

I have no qualms with Epic.  I support them with what they're trying to do.  The problem is that the client just sucks.  It's gotten worse the more content that is put on it.

Things are woefully slow now.  I'm not really a big fan of the layout of things.  I don't like how the actual Unreal Engine launcher is part of the damn client.

It's just clunky.  I have no problem with playing and buying games on other clients... but if I have any option, it's always Steam... and it doesn't look like Epic is pushing very hard to change that.

My Steam client has 1100+ games, it loads instantly.  Custom artworks for tons of games, and the damn thing even loads hundreds of user created images and video content on the fly every time you see the game's landing page...  

So it's not that I wouldn't play a game if it's Epic exclusive (I'll just add it to Steam anyway lol) but their client sucks.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Whats the easiest way to pirate modern games? I have no experience with it.

If a game I would otherwise be interested in takes Epics dirty money then I will just hold off until its dirt cheap in a steam sale. But looking at something like MS buying up all the publishers, if by some miracle then end up with a halfway decent game I'd consider pirating it, I certainly won't be buying it. I'm too old to put up with megacorp bullshit these days.

5 minutes ago, Remij said:

I have no qualms with Epic.  I support them with what they're trying to do.  The problem is that the client just sucks.  It's gotten worse the more content that is put on it.

Things are woefully slow now.  I'm not really a big fan of the layout of things.  I don't like how the actual Unreal Engine launcher is part of the damn client.

It's just clunky.  I have no problem with playing and buying games on other clients... but if I have any option, it's always Steam... and it doesn't look like Epic is pushing very hard to change that.

My Steam client has 1100+ games, it loads instantly.  Custom artworks for tons of games, and the damn thing even loads hundreds of user created images and video content on the fly every time you see the game's landing page...  

So it's not that I wouldn't play a game if it's Epic exclusive (I'll just add it to Steam anyway lol) but their client sucks.

The things you're saying are my qualms with Epic. The splintering of portals like Origin, Uplay, BattleNet, etc is one of the worst aspects of PC gaming. It's bad enough that even console games often want a publisher-bs user login, on PC you don't even have one library of games. But Epic is really fucking the dog with a cross-publisher portal that isn't close to Steam's functionality, and aggressively seeks exclusivity deals. They're actively dragging the PC gaming experience back to a PS2-caliber online experience, no amount of free games will make up for that.

You're totally right about the engine too, and I really hope they get bit for this.  Because Unreal Engine has a mostly great track record, and tying it to the cancerous Epic store will also hold that project back.

• Like 1