Marvel reached out to Sony, MS, and Activision in the past. Idiots at MS declined deal with Marvel (TLHBFR)

Turns out the reason Xbox doesn't have a Spiderman game or an exclusive Marvel deal is because the retards at Microsoft passed over a deal in with Marvel :drake:

Marvel reached out to both Sony and MS and the retards at MS said no to making a Spiderman game while Sony said yes  :mroff:

Fast-forward years later and Spiderman is the by far the most successful superhero IP brand and MS are out here looking like idiots while Sony are living like Kings eating off the Spiderman videogame money. Anyone who still thinks Phil Spencer is the guy is a retard. Phil is a moron and those guys at Xbox have no clue what they are doing :mj:

What he needed was a publishing partner who hadn't adopted the "crappy licensed games" mentality. He needed a company with an eye for long-term investments, one with a vested interest that would benefit from building a franchise. That partner would need to have a deep pool of talent, commitment to quality, and inexhaustibly deep pockets. There were three companies that fit that description. One of them, Nintendo, mostly developed games based on its own intellectual properties.

Being from console first-party in my past, I pinged both sides, both Xbox and PlayStation, and said, "We don't have any big console deals with anyone right now. What would you like to do?" Microsoft's strategy was to focus on their own IP. They passed.

I sat down with these two execs from PlayStation third-party, Adam Boyes and John Drake, in August 2014, in a conference room in Burbank. I said, "We have a dream that this is possible, that we could beat Arkham and have one game at least and maybe multiple games that could drive adoption of your platform."

—Jay Ong

Source

Eht_xfQXYAAK_ls.jpg.0f9eab98466e9c191cd7f3013b3c4129.jpg

Edited by FIREPOWER
  • Geese 1

Don't know why you're calling Microsoft stupid over this when it's one of the smartest decisions they could have done. Had they done a Marvel deal they'd have just wasted a bunch of money and put out a mediocre game like The Avengers game. Microsoft knew they'd fuck it up and passed.

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Don't know why you're calling Microsoft stupid over this when it's one of the smartest decisions they could have done. Had they done a Marvel deal they'd have just wasted a bunch of money and put out a mediocre game like The Avengers game. Microsoft knew they'd fuck it up and passed.

No, read the article again!

They could have got Spiderman or Wolverine before Sony did.

You're acting like Avengers is the only Marvel IP there is, there are tons of them that could have made MS a lot of money.

Square Enix fucking up Avengers is a SE problem. Sony was able to make billions out of the Spiderman games and consoles sold. Spiderman on PS4/PS5 is the most successful superhero game ever with over 25 million copies sold. No reason MS couldn't have at least one of the Marvel IPs like Wolverine right now and making millions out of them. They have the studios but no Marvel deal, that's my point. They fucked up.

Edited by FIREPOWER

I don't think Marvel games mean much outside of Sony developed Marvel games.  I think Hot Sauce is right.  They would have just put out mediocre Marvel games.

Sony is the cinematic, high production value games publisher.  Their games do extremely well, because they naturally lend themselves to exciting cinematic driven story experiences.

Sony and Marvel is literally a match made in heaven for those two companies.  It all happened the way it should have, imo.

24 minutes ago, Remij said:

I don't think Marvel games mean much outside of Sony developed Marvel games.  I think Hot Sauce is right.  They would have just put out mediocre Marvel games.

Sony is the cinematic, high production value games publisher.  Their games do extremely well, because they naturally lend themselves to exciting cinematic driven story experiences.

Sony and Marvel is literally a match made in heaven for those two companies.  It all happened the way it should have, imo.

Well both of you may be right but as a business you just don't say no to the hottest IP creator on the planet right now like Marvel. Yea, knowing MS and their history the games they would make would be mostly mediocre but there's always a small chance they could land a hit. Especially now that they have so many studios working under them. I bet you Phil and the folks over at MS were punching the air when they saw how successful Spiderman was for Sony. Even if they go to Marvel right now they will just get laughed at, they fucked up a once in a lifetime opportunity. This to me just shows that Phil is not the guy at all and the folks at MS are clueless.

Edited by FIREPOWER
5 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

Well both of you may be right but as a business you just don't say no to the hottest IP creator on the planet right now like Marvel. Yea, knowing MS and their history the games they would make would be mostly mediocre but there's always a small chance they could land a hit. Especially now that they have so many studios working under them. I bet you Phil and the folks over at MS were punching the air when they saw how successful Spiderman was for Sony. Even if they go to Marvel right now they will just get laughed at, they fucked up a once in a lifetime opportunity. This to me just shows that Phil is not the guy at all and the folks at MS are clueless.

We're all right. Hot Sauce and I are right in the sense that MS would likely not have created anything outstanding for Marvel, but you're right in the sense that MS is stupid for not at least taking Marvel games out of Sony's hands.  Insomniac created the right style of games for Marvel's IPs... and with them firing on all cylinders now, it's going to generate billions and billions for Sony and Marvel.  That could have been prevented.. but there's not much that can be done about it now.  That relationship is built and there's no going back haha.

Not the first thing that MS has done that has come back to bite them in the ass lol... GTA3 anyone? :D 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

I actually agree. Who would MS have got to make the game?

If MS took the deal and had an exclusive marvel game it would likely have been another 5.0-7.0 flop and we wouldn't be looking back on the deal lile this. We're only looking back because a company that knows how to create good and successful games helped bring one to life.

Fuck just look at what Insomniac had out on xbox before this - Sunset overdrive. That thing felt lile a beta rather than a final game.

11 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

TCHBFR

People like the Spiderman movies not the shitty games.

Calling it shit....lol care to tell us all the better games exclusive to xbox?

1 hour ago, MalaXmaS said:

TCHBFR

People like the Spiderman movies not the shitty games.

This is some straight up delusional lemshit Copium.

:hest: There isn’t a single game on Xbox that is on the same level as Spiderman, FOH!

17E4ECDD-14B1-4771-A60C-82887C8E39DC.jpeg

6 hours ago, Quad Damage said:

EPFmtYa.png

Donald Duck Lol GIF

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/crackdown-3

Only just scraped a 60. These fucks don't even realize how biased they are, just happen to prefer every pile of shit on Xbox no matter how bad it is. Lemmings are the worst IRL fanboys but that's out of neccesity, when your console has absolutely nothing going for it you're forced into that position.

• Haha 1

The success of Spiderman led to Sony's aquisition of Insomniac, who had recently made Sunset Overdrive, an Xbox exclusive.

So MS possibly missed out having one of the most successful dev teams as 1st party.

• Like 1

This sounds as bad move as when SONY approached SEGA of America for a console collaboration and SEGA of Japan said no to the idea, and around the same time SONY had approached Nintendo too and got the PlayStation almost there until Nintendo said no and went with Philips.

Did you know Michael Jackson attempted to buy Marvel in the 90s when that company was in bankrupt.

Fast forward to modern rich celeb potential acquisitions,  it looks like Elon Musk is getting cold feet now about his potential Twitter purchase.   Any thoughts?

The timing of that Spiderman game in 2018 after he had just appeared in Captain America Civil War in 2016 was absolutely perfect.

If anything Marvel regrets it because Sony has received a TON of money from having the Spiderman IP getting absolutely white hot within these past few years.

Remember, Disney-Marvel was kinda pissed and didn't want to co-produce any more Spiderman movies with Sony because they didn't like Sony owning the merchandise rights, and making a killing off of that. I think Disney and Sony worked out some sort of deal where maybe Sony gives them a little piece of that pie.

But Sony ended up benefitting from it more than Disney-Marvel. That 2018 spiderman game made them so much money, they bought Insomniac with the profits.

My belief is that the Wolverine game is not going to be that good, or as popular.

I think people like Spiderman, because they want to be swinging around like Spiderman. But I think people see Wolverine as cool, but they don't really want to be Wolverine. And its also like video games using lightsabers. I expect to cut EVERYTHING with a light saber, or else I'm not satisfied. Same thing applies with Wolverine's claws.