After Years Of Hype, The Xbox Game Pass Burnout Is Here

https://kotaku.com/xbox-game-pass-subscriber-numbers-2022-xbox-series-x-s-1848963643

The burnout largely comes down to subscribers saying that Game Pass isn’t delivering on its value proposition. For a monthly fee, Game Pass grants you access to a Netflix-style library of games that you can download to your Xbox or PC (or, in some cases, stream to a compatible device). But the big selling point is this: Every first-party Microsoft game hits the library at launch, meaning subscribers get access at no extra cost to Microsoft’s prestigious first-party releases, like Halo Infinite or Forza Horizon 5.

Earlier this month, Bethesda—officially now one of Xbox’s first-party studios, following an industry-shaking acquisition in 2021—delayed its two biggest forthcoming games: space-RPG Starfield and vampire shooter Redfall (developed by Bethesda subsidiary Arkane). Both were expected to launch day-one on Game Pass this year. Now, they won’t come out until the first half of 2023, leaving Microsoft’s first-party portfolio looking much drier than it did a month ago.

“The service is great but there aren’t any AAA exclusives to compel me to stay,” Tom’s Guide writer Tony Polanco said in a tweet. “I’ll be back when the titles start dropping.” Washington Post reporter Gene Park shared a similar sentiment, pointing out that, over the past few months, the only game from the service he’s availed himself of is Trek to Yomi, a side-scrolling samurai action game. (Trek to Yomi costs $20. Also side note: It rules.) Other prominent members of the gaming cognoscenti lamented paying up front for months if not years of Game Pass, while others compared it unfavorably against the upcoming revamp of PS Plus, Sony’s competing subscription service.

NoGame Pass :pavarotti:

About time. That service is a total scam. The promise is day and date AAA games from MS, the problem is MS released a maximum of 2 games a year in the best case scenario or in most cases 0 :hest:.

:mj: You spend the rest of the time paying $180/yr for some day 1 indie releases and third party flops you would never buy to begin with.

Edited by FIREPOWER

"meaning subscribers get access at no extra cost to Microsoft’s prestigious first-party releases, like Halo Infinite or Forza Horizon 5. "

Like Halo or Forza? :pavarotti: I'm pretty sure that's all there is, Halo & Forza.

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

"meaning subscribers get access at no extra cost to Microsoft’s prestigious first-party releases, like Halo Infinite or Forza Horizon 5. "

Like Halo or Forza? :pavarotti: I'm pretty sure that's all there is, Halo & Forza.

Don't forget Gears  :kaz:

I cancelled my subscription several months ago after joining when the PC version was announced.

Most of the time, I just didn't use the service.  And the times I did, it was for a game I would prefer to just own.

It had a stellar streak, where it was getting a lot of great games pretty quickly. But yeah, it all came to a screeching halt. It’s still a great deal for most gamers, since it has a solid back catalog. However, I’m currently not a subscriber. 

So, on Windows, it comes with the Xbox app. And it starts up whenever I boot up the computer.  Naturally its mostly advertising GamePass.

So this was the main splash image on the Xbox app when it starts. Sorta like Netflix and other services, they have a sliding wall of things that they want you to check out, on the home page.

........this is 100% real, this is not a mock-up, nor has it been altered in ANY way. I screenshot this

QH4Ud3t.png

This is the FIRST slide. Not the third or the fourth slide on the home page..........this is the FIRST slide.

"Must-have" pre-installs.

And they have placeholder images because they can't find any future PC game for you to even pre-install at this point.

That's how bad its gotten.