Sonic Frontiers gameplay reveal

It looks like somebody was working on an open world concept in Unreal Engine, and randomly plopped a Sonic model into it. There are PS Dreams Sonic fan games that look more true to the series:

1 hour ago, sugarhigh said:

It looks like somebody was working on an open world concept in Unreal Engine, and randomly plopped a Sonic model into it. There are PS Dreams Sonic fan games that look more true to the series:

That does look pretty impressive. I feel like Sonic isn't moving fast enough even at top speed in the Frontiers footage. Other than that it looks decent.

6 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

That does look pretty impressive. I feel like Sonic isn't moving fast enough even at top speed in the Frontiers footage. Other than that it looks decent.

Yeah the speed thing is an issue, but also the flatness of the land. You either have vertical towers that limit speed or you have wide open spaces where speed isn't fun. A good 3D Sonic game should play like Motorstorm with lots of branching paths and chaotic terrain deformation.

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

you guys are being too harsh. The parts where sonic is going fast and speeding through the world and shit look pretty fun. The puzzle elements are also a neat idea.

No.  It looks like shit.  Period.

Imagine taking all the attitude and color out of Sonic... smh :shake: 

2 hours ago, Remij said:

No.  It looks like shit.  Period.

Imagine taking all the attitude and color out of Sonic... smh :shake: 

This is supposed to be an ambitious reboot of the series that they're been working on for 5 years. I seriously doubt they're going to half ass it like the typical 3D sonic game.

38 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

This is supposed to be an ambitious reboot of the series that they're been working on for 5 years. I seriously doubt they're going to half ass it like the typical 3D sonic game.

5 years... and they have what looks like a generic UE4 open world template project that Sonic runs around in... while being terribly animated...

It looks drab.. and shitty man.  It just does.

Take this art style, make it 3D, add some other shit to do, add some set piece triggers which make you do cool acrobatic shit, enemies to kill, animals to save, and Dr, Robotnik.. and you're good. 

Green-Hill-Zone-25th-Anniversary.webp

Sega are so fucking stupid with Sonic... they almost always have been..

Edited by Remij
4 hours ago, TLHBO said:

Do people still actually play Sonic games? It seems the series is only relevant to people on the spectrum.

My kid plays the recent 2.5d throwbacks like Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces.  Also there have been 2 pretty successful family movies.  So it's not like the franchise is stuck in the 90s or something.  Sega just doesn't know how to put Sonic in a modern AAA game.

22 hours ago, ghostz said:

Sonic could be awesome in 3d

this is hilariously bad though, and they made it some big reveal… :roff:

how? there hasn't been a single good sonic 3d game and  I think it's due to the typical gameplay that sonic has. Speed up, collecting rings etc just doesn't do well in 3d environments. 

ofc you can completely change it and make it like mario but then it loses its identity.

loved playing the OG sonic games on sega megadrive as a kid back then 😊

Edited by kaz