PC Gamer: Starfield is just ugly No Man’s Sky (TLHBFR!!)

:hest:

Fraser Brown, Online Editor: Bethesda has been so vague when it comes to Starfield that I had no expectations for its reveal at not-E3 this year, and yet it still somehow managed to be a massively disappointing showcase. At least we actually know what Starfield is now: it's ugly No Man's Sky. 

With every single revelation, it just got closer and closer to Hello Games' big cosmic sandbox, but with an aesthetic that's impenetrably dull and gloomy. You can craft! You can build! You can explore! Yes, it is indeed a modern videogame. One of the first things our unknown space explorer does when they land on one of Starfield's Mass Effect-looking worlds is laser off some resources from a rock. Then it's time for an unconvincing shootout. After keeping it under wraps for so long, I'd expected at least one surprise—but nope!

Undoubtedly the highlight of the whole presentation was Todd Howard announcing that you can fly your spaceship as if it was this entirely unexpected feature. In a game called Starfield. Where you explore alien worlds. With a spaceship. Similarly, the revelation that there's 1,000 planets to explore elicited a chuckle. It's the new "you can climb that mountain". Then we got a taste of these worlds and the wonders they contain: a space port, an ice planet, a desert planet, a barren planet, another barren planet. The thrills never end. 

I'm absolutely in the mood for another Bethesda RPG, but this generic-looking crafty space sim is doing nothing for me.

:kaz: What a fucking disaster!

:mj: Years of hype from Todd Howard and lemshits and this is what they showed us, a Fallout76 rendition of No Man's Sky with all the jankiness and slideshow framerates to make it a cinematic experience LMFAOI! 

Edited by FIREPOWER
  • Haha 3

So it's not even a proper Bethesda RPG? I was expecting Fallout but in space, seems like it will be a gimmicky exploration/crafting game instead. Bethesda never stray too far from their established Elderscrolls formula. This doesn't sound good at all.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Remij said:

It's going to sell like bonkers.

NEVER underestimate boring space game's popularity.  There's an entire massive community that are frothing at the mouth for this.

I love space games and this looked tedious to me. It’s gonna need a work from modders to make it worthwhile.

One of the top things that bothers me is how they don’t have a proper ground to space flight.  The fact they need to use a cutscene to show your flight to space and your landing is a huge red flag for me. Games like Elite Dangerous,  Star Citizen, and No Man’s Sky do this already and they do it much better. It really highlights the jankiness and inadequacies of the Creation Engine.

No Man’s Sky and Star Citizen have way more interesting space areas to explore and give you a lot more freedom than this game. Bathesda seems to just have loading levels that they call worlds and no true space flight exploration. They’ve also decided to go with 1000 procedurally generated worlds instead of having smaller number of worlds that are easier to manage. I foresee a lot of janky copy/paste worlds without character in this game especially since they’ve confirmed this game has no alien sentient beings to interact with.

Whether this game sells a lot at launch remains to be seen. The fact it’s coming to GP on day one and not coming to PS consoles already eliminates a lot of its potential day one sales on consoles at least. It’s gonna be up to the PC community to make or break this game. We may be seeing another Fallout 76 scenario depending on how hell the engine holds up and right now it’s look like the Creation Engine is hanging by a thread trying to run this game. Ultimately the modding community will be the ones to save this game because I have zero faith that Bathesda will deliver on any of their promises on day one.

Edited by FIREPOWER

So the transitions between the different planets won't be seamless and will be seperated by loading screens (and likely long ones if past Bethesda games are any indication).

The game is actually less technically advanced than No Man's Sky which was put together by a handful of people deader.png

https://www.ign.com/articles/starfield-seamless-fly-space-to-planet-not-important-todd-howard

• dead 2
8 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

So the transitions between the different planets won't be seamless and will be seperated by loading screens (and likely long ones if past Bethesda games are any indication).

The game is actually less technically advanced than No Man's Sky which was put together by a handful of people deader.png

https://www.ign.com/articles/starfield-seamless-fly-space-to-planet-not-important-todd-howard

lmao at the takes from this place

8 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

And its confirmed that the solar systems/planets will be randomly generated. Get ready for a lot of copy/paste environments and locales.

My biggest fear. This is exactly what I was worried about when I heard Bathesda was making a space game with the creation engine. This game will need a shit ton of work by the modding community when it launches and I don’t think even they can save it. 

8 hours ago, Ramza said:

So it's not even a proper Bethesda RPG? I was expecting Fallout but in space, seems like it will be a gimmicky exploration/crafting game instead. Bethesda never stray too far from their established Elderscrolls formula. This doesn't sound good at all.

everything that occurs on the ground..............is like Fallout.

Like complete same thing as Fallout, with maybe more wasteland, if you think about it.

No vats, just shooting. And it appears the only enemies will be

-bugs

-slightly bigger monsters

-space pirates

-enemy human factions

like...........there appear to be no other alien races. think about how big of a failure that is for a game called Starfield.

I would be perfectly okay with this..........if the moment you enter the ship and leave the planet, and it becomes a fascinating, immersive, Colony-Wars type of space ship flying simulator in which you have to juggle resources and engage in firefights strategically. I'd be happy if 50% of all gameplay time was spent flying through space, and raiding ships, or doing missions ENTIRELY within space and boarding other spacecraft.

But instead they just look like Star Fox 64 levels tacked on.

• Thanks 1