Tess' character model in TLOU: Part 1 compared to the original

Yeah I noticed that they have "fixed" Joel's proper look and gruffiness for what his age should have been during the events of TLOU1.

Was it supposed to be 20 years after the event? Or 25 years?

So, he already a daughter that was 7 or 8 years old? maybe older?

So I really doubt Joel was younger than 28 or 29 years old during the event. So 20 years later, he'd be 50.

And it wouldn't be an easy 20 years of aging, he would've lived a hard life. So for him to look like he's in his late 30's, early 40's in TLOU1 is just not accurate. Maybe he'd still have the strength to do the things he was able to do in the game.

In TLOU2, he sorta looks closer to what I expect him.

5 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Yeah I noticed that they have "fixed" Joel's proper look and gruffiness for what his age should have been during the events of TLOU1.

So I really doubt Joel was younger than 28 or 29 years old during the event. So 20 years later, he'd be 50.

And it wouldn't be an easy 20 years of aging, he would've lived a hard life. So for him to look like he's in his late 30's, early 40's in TLOU1 is just not accurate. Maybe he'd still have the strength to do the things he was able to do in the game.

Yeah, he looks more age appropriate.

10 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Yeah exactly.

4 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Yeah, he looks more age appropriate.

Yep, I think all the characters in the Remake look more appropriate to what their age would be.  All of them look better for it IMO.

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Remij said:

Really?  They changed them to real-time for the PS5 remaster? 

For some reason I thought they re-rendered the scenes in higher res and kept them pre-rendered.  Didn't know that.

Yea, they changed them to real-time on the PS4 remaster. They made a big deal out of doing so at the time.

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yeah exactly.

Yep, I think all the characters in the Remake look more appropriate to what their age would be.  All of them look better for it IMO.

Definitely!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

Yea, they changed them to real-time on the PS4 remaster. They made a big deal out of doing so at the time.

Well that's cool!  Still, there's 9 years between the original PS3 version and the PS5 version... crazy how it went from pre-rendered on PS3 to what it is now.  Everything has come such a long way.

When you really think about it, how it's rendered now in real-time on PS5.. they couldn't have even done it pre-rendered back then, because they just didn't have the expertise at the time to do that fidelity of animations and quality of materials.

Their next gen project will surely look bonkers if it's a game that has this kind of art style.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Voidler said:

I prefer the new look for Tess. Her whole section of the story was meh cause I couldn't relate to her character. Maybe it was that the character model wasn't quite as well animated as others

I forget how long that game is.

But if you think about it, I don't think they do a good enough job delving into the Joel-Tess relationship.

I was reading the TLOU Wiki fan page, and read on what Joel did during those 20 years. He was a really bad guy, at times.

So, he and Tess were like outlaws. Joel by himself was just a straight-up killer for while, when he was just by himself. And Tess ended up giving him something resembling principles.

So, when Tess tells Joel that she believes that Ellie could be the cure, and the last she tells Joel is to see that Ellie survives to get to where she needs to go, its supposed a heavy moment for Joel. I don't think the developer did a good job hitting that point.

Also, I straight have complaints about how TLOU1 ends, narratively. But that's another thing altogether.

I can’t help but feel they’re just doing this to coincide with the TV show. Not my first choice remake since the original has aged like whiskey rather than milk (it’s not an Xbox title :lul:) but I’m still down. 

Just now, Cell said:

I can’t help but feel they’re just doing this to coincide with the TV show. Not my first choice remake since the original has aged like whiskey rather than milk (it’s not an Xbox title :lul:) but I’m still down. 

That’s exactly why they are doing it.