Crazy how far we've come in terms of graphics.

Epic and UE are really leading the charge when it comes to making the game development process simpler and more intuitive. You could have minimal skills or experience and still put together good looking environments just by using Megascans assets. And now Metahuman is going to make it easier to make good looking production ready character models as well.

9 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Epic and UE are really leading the charge when it comes to making the game development process simpler and more intuitive. You could have minimal skills or experience and still put together good looking environments just by using Megascans assets. And now Metahuman is going to make it easier to make good looking production ready character models as well.

Yeah, I was amazed how good the matrix demo looked/ran on even the series s. 

• Like 1

Stuff like this really convinces me that VR is not going to flop like 3d displays did. It might take several more hardware breakthroughs to reach the mainstream, but experiencing richly detailed simulations like this in first person is obviously the next big frontier for gaming.

3 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

Stuff like this really convinces me that VR is not going to flop like 3d displays did. It might take several more hardware breakthroughs to reach the mainstream, but experiencing richly detailed simulations like this in first person is obviously the next big frontier for gaming.

It will never have better graphics than consoles/pc so I don’t think it’ll ever take off 

On 2022-06-23 at 5:49 AM, Twinblade said:

The mods people have made using the matrix city have been pretty cool, like this superman one

Why didn't they let us do that with Neo? 

yea it's insane. I'm glad tho we witness it all unfold from pixel graphics, 2d to 3d - to all this tech we have now

and also how 3d wasn't always better - 2d and limiting what you see works just like a good book does, you create the missing parts yourself / or don't

also isometric perspective etc., I'm mad that by law games aren't considered art where I live :D 

Edited by kaz
1 hour ago, kaz said:

yea it's insane. I'm glad tho we witness it all unfold from pixel graphics, 2d to 3d - to all this tech we have now

and also how 3d wasn't always better - 2d and limiting what you see works just like a good book does, you create the missing parts yourself / or don't

also isometric perspective etc., I'm mad that by law games aren't considered art where I live :D 

Yeah, Isometric 3D is a great perspective for devs to craft the look of their game. Stuff like Killzone Liberation really popped on the PSP, and The Ascent practically passes as next-gen, despite being a mid-budget indie game.

Also shoutout to fixed-camera 3D games like God of War.  Editorial control of the camera is a major storytelling tool ignored by too many devs.

• 2 weeks later...