Steam Deck Has Ruined Nintendo Directs For Me

"Hope it comes to Switch." We've all seen or said or thought this countless times while finding interesting and experimental PC games that would feel great on a handheld. And developers have obliged us, transforming the Switch into a flourishing home for smaller, less hardware-intensive games. The one drawback has typically been the wait, as these games often would hit PC first and come to Switch months or even years later. That's still the case today, which is why owning a Steam Deck has made recent Nintendo Direct presentations feel a lot less exciting for me than they used to be.

when most of those games are also appearing on a handheld PC that looks and feels a lot like a Switch, and they're often coming to PC earlier and/or cheaper, it's hard to get too excited.

Take today's Nintendo Direct Mini, for example. Some of the games shown, like Nier Automata or Portal: Companion Collection, are already available on Steam, making the Switch version the late-comer. (Right now the Portal bundle on Steam is $3 while the newly launched Portal: Companion Collection on Switch is $20. This is partly due to the Steam Summer Sale, but that's another point in Steam's favor--these deep discounts are much more common on Valve's store.) Meanwhile, surprise drops like Little Noah: Scion of Paradise surprise-dropped on Steam right alongside the Switch. Even the big finish, the announcement that Persona 5 Royal is finally coming to the Switch, was slightly undercut by the announcement weeks ago that it's coming to PC and Xbox Game Pass.

It used to be that when I saw a great-looking indie game like Rogue Legacy 2 or Vampire Survivors, I would watch a Nintendo Direct with rapt anticipation hoping to see that they were coming to my handheld of choice. Now I have them both and I've been enjoying them for weeks on my Steam Deck. I don't need to "hope it comes to Switch" anymore, because I already have a device that, with its access to the vast PC games library that often gets games first, renders that hope irrelevant.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/steam-deck-has-ruined-nintendo-directs-for-me/1100-6504969/

tshbo.gif.8d45d4abc45d0dc2d6cf85732dc20a1b.gif

• Geese 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sheep being in game discussions like their little Fisherprice handheld holds any weight Like Danny DeVito trying to be taken seriously in an NBA game   Guys! Guys! Pass me the ball I'm here

And who in their right mind would buy the Switch version when you know that Steam version will stay forward compatible for forever and work on any handheld PC, Laptop PC, and Desktop PC    

If you buy a game for Steam Deck, you bought the best version of the game.

Posted Images

And who in their right mind would buy the Switch version when you know that Steam version will stay forward compatible for forever and work on any handheld PC, Laptop PC, and Desktop PC :hest: 

• Upvote 3

I haven't even touched my PS5 since my Deck arrived. It's still crazy what Valve has pulled off, and the system software is getting updated at a rapid pace.  Nintendo can keep making simple handhelds for kids, but I don't know how they will sell to adults going forward. More handheld gaming PCs are coming, and they make dedicated, bespoke Nintendo handhelds completely redundant.

12 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

I haven't even touched my PS5 since my Deck arrived. It's still crazy what Valve has pulled off, and the system software is getting updated at a rapid pace.  Nintendo can keep making simple handhelds for kids, but I don't know how they will sell to adults going forward. More handheld gaming PCs are coming, and they make dedicated, bespoke Nintendo handhelds completely redundant.

It's funny you downplay Switch's technical prowess but choose to game on a significantly weaker handheld than a PS5. :trump:

35 minutes ago, Ike said:

It's funny you downplay Switch's technical prowess but choose to game on a significantly weaker handheld than a PS5. :trump:

Maybe it's because Steam Deck gets most 3rd party games.. and they aren't watered down ports... and those games work on every PC device going forward...

• aitch 1

meh the whole mentality of hoping everything comes to switch was always lost on me. maybe if you ride the bus everyday or some shit, but most games aren't something i want to play in handheld at poor framerate/resolution.

similarly i don't want to play those games on steamdeck.

i watch the recaps of nintendo directs for the purpose of exclusives.

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Maybe it's because Steam Deck gets most 3rd party games.. and they aren't watered down ports... and those games work on every PC device going forward...

They're watered down and less impressive than a PS5 on a 4K tv playing with a DualSense. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in this sentiment. :trump2:

• Upvote 1
Just now, Casual said:

meh the whole mentality of hoping everything comes to switch was always lost on me. maybe if you ride the bus everyday or some shit, but most games aren't something i want to play in handheld at poor framerate/resolution.

similarly i don't want to play those games on steamdeck.

i watch the recaps of nintendo directs for the purpose of exclusives.

i always found interactive novels, adventure games and jrpgs (especially persona games) to be great for handhelds. i treat them like a book while laying on the couch or in bed. however, the switch undocked is god awful for most other genres. i rather play them docked or on the more powerful systems.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

i always found interactive novels, adventure games and jrpgs (especially persona games) to be great for handhelds. i treat them like a book while laying on the couch or in bed. however, the switch undocked is god awful for most other genres. i rather play them docked or on the more powerful systems.

Get one of the M cable things for docked play. It's a noticeable improvement if you're on a 4k TV 

2 hours ago, Ike said:

They're watered down and less impressive than a PS5 on a 4K tv playing with a DualSense. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in this sentiment. :trump2:

No they aren't.  They're actually more impressive than anything on PS5.

And lmfao fuck your dualsense :mj:

44 minutes ago, Remij said:

No they aren't.  They're actually more impressive than anything on PS5.

And lmfao fuck your dualsense :mj:

800p max on games sure is more impressive than native 4K. :dc: 

4 hours ago, Ike said:

If anything I give Switch's "technical prowess" too much credit.

Like Remi said, gaming on Deck is the same as the PC version of the game. I agree with you that PS5/Desktop looks better and the dual shock is a better controller (it works with the Deck btw :reg:). But games on Deck look GOOD, and the controller is GOOD. Deck being portable and quick to suspend/resume makes it stickier than the higher fidelity options, which is why I haven't been playing PS5 as much.

And I'm not a hypocrite about this. I have a PC good enough to play these SAME games close to their best. The fact that the Steam library is accessible in so many forms is another big value over PS5, when I previously wouldve preferred to buy on console.  When Valve puts out SteamOS for all PCs, it will effectively be a 4th console competitor.

Edited by sugarhigh
1 hour ago, Ike said:

800p max on games sure is more impressive than native 4K. :dc: 

It is moron.. when you're playing on a 7'' 800p screen :drake: 

And LOL "native 4K" PS5 games :mj: 

And no... games aren't locked to 800p on Deck... I can run games at 1080p and 1440p... and even ultrawide resolutions, as I've already proven on here.

Edited by Remij
Just now, Remij said:

It is moron.. when you're playing on a 7'' 800p screen :drake: 

And no... games aren't locked to 800p... I can run games at 1080p and 1440p... and even ultrawide resolutions, as I've already proven on here.

Still playing inferior versions. Point still stands. :pavarotti:

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Still playing inferior versions. Point still stands. :pavarotti:

Don't be mad because Gamespot agrees Ditch is trash after the Deck. :geese: 

There's a better way to play games portably now :smugcena:

Edited by Remij
  • Geese 1