Sony must be disappointed in TLOU2 sales

Just now, Goukosan said:

It took GOW over 3 years to almost reach 20 million, by the time it got to 20 million it was almost approaching almost 4 years. 

And God of War was coming off of Ascension... which was the most disliked God of War game.  TLOU2 was coming off the back of TLOU1... the most revered and highly praised Naughty Dog game...

Expectations man...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bruh, MS are so disappointed in there own sales  they stopped releasing the numbers. 

Must be slow news Sat for you to be bringing up TLOU2 all these years later.   

Xbox in such a bad state that lemmings need to try and compared PS games vs PS games?

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Saucer said:

"No you!"

You post like Twinblade when was 14. Dude lay off the sugar a bit. :biggrin:

I don't even know who any of these people you are referencing are.

:drake: I don't even know your retarded ass.

:kaz: Who the fuck is this clown that's obsessed with me?

Edited by FIREPOWER
2 minutes ago, Remij said:

And God of War was coming off of Ascension... which was the most disliked God of War game.  TLOU2 was coming off the back of TLOU1... the most revered and highly praised Naughty Dog game...

Expectations man...

And here come the excuses for his retarded logic.

After you destroy him with facts, he starts moving goal posts and making up caveats that he pulled from his ass to support his braindead arguments :kaz:

1 minute ago, Remij said:

Expectations man...

Those were your unrealistic expectations not Sony's. 

Had TLOU2 sold like 5 million alone in two years.. You would have a point. 

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

And it outperformed the original by alot. 

10 million in two years on one system is incredibly amazing.   You still can't name first party games outside of Pokémon that does those sales in such a short time frame. :umad:

The original had the task of creating the fanbase...

Ghost of Tsushima had NO fanbase just 2 years ago... and it sold 10M in 2 years. Yes PS5 counted for some of those, but not enough.  GoT even doing 7M in 2 years on PS4 alone while TLOU2 doing 10M tells the same story..  The game underperformed.

4 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

I don't even know who any of these people you are referencing are.

:drake: I don't even know your retarded ass.

:kaz: Who the fuck is this clown that's obsessed with me?

He doesn't know who Twinblade is :mj: 

TwinkyHBR :hehe: 

• NPC 1
3 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Those were your unrealistic expectations not Sony's. 

Had TLOU2 sold like 5 million alone in two years.. You would have a point. 

Sony had bigger expectations for TLOU2 than I did and you know it.

Do you agree or disagree that the game was impacted by the negative response to the leaks and by far-right groups?

1 minute ago, Remij said:

Do you agree or disagree that the game was impacted by the negative response to the leaks and by far-right groups?

Provide proof of your theory :umad:

Yes a few (in relation to the mass market) internet nerds didn't purchase the game because of leaks on videogames messages boards.   

That wouldn't impact the mass market buyers, those are the ones who push games sales past 5 million. 

4 minutes ago, Remij said:

They way the killed off Joel didn't help either. And just the grimness of the game too. 

1 hour ago, Remij said:

Expectations man...

Dude, half of the people on this forum probably don't even know that God of War Ascension exists.

It felt like an afterthought game, and not a full sequel. Released at the very tail end of the PS3 life cycle.

Sony didn't even bother re-releasing on the PS4, or even making a remaster of the game. In fact the only way you can play God of War Ascension was through PS3 hardware, or through PS Now on the Playstation 4.

You couldn't even play the game natively on PS4.

And the game did nothing to make people dislike God of War. The gameplay just felt stale and repetitive at that point.  It felt like God of War 3: the lost levels.

God of War 2018 got attention because it felt like a genuine change to everything, while still feeling like God of War.

That's why the game felt like a refreshing surprise, and got a huge response.

Nobody considers TLOU2 a failure., the only thing that might have hurt it is we KNOW that the last game had a remaster made for the new console.

And, chances are there might've been people expecting a PS5 upgrade at some point during 2021 that didn't occur.

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Dude, half of the people on this forum probably don't even know that God of War Ascension exists.

It felt like an afterthought game, and not a full sequel. Released at the very tail end of the PS3 life cycle.

Sony didn't even bother re-releasing on the PS4, or even making a remaster of the game. In fact the only way you can play God of War Ascension was through PS3 hardware, or through PS Now on the Playstation 4.

You couldn't even play the game natively on PS4.

And the game did nothing to make people dislike God of War. The gameplay just felt stale and repetitive at that point.  It felt like God of War 3: the lost levels.

God of War 2018 got attention because it felt like a genuine change to everything, while still feeling like God of War.

That's why the game felt like a refreshing surprise, and got a huge response.

Nobody considers TLOU2 a failure., the only thing that might have hurt it is we KNOW that the last game had a remaster made for the new console.

And, chances are there might've been people expecting a PS5 upgrade at some point during 2021 that didn't occur.

I never said a failure.  I said disappointing.

You're kind of proving my point.  That God of War was in it's lowest state.. people were tired with it by that point.  Sony Santa Monica literally needed a hit, or they were done for.  That's well known from their making ofs and behind the scenes.  God of War 2018 managed to do what it did coming off of that... while TLOU2 was riding high from TLOU1 and Naughty Dog's pedigree.

I'm simply saying that TLOU2 didn't reach it's potential.  The leak undeniably hurt it, and I apparently feel it hurt it a lot more than the rest of you.. but it absolutely did.  The story didn't sit well with a lot of people and there were some really IMO dumb decisions made with the game.  Based on that I think it should have and could have sold ~15M by now.

3 hours ago, Saucer said:

I'm starting to think Firepower is a Jerry alt. He's pretty much the only one who likes Jerry's posts too. :biggrin:

...........Holy shit. 

Ask yourself this too: which crazy fuck on SW has enough time to keep up two accounts as active as that? Jerry. 

giphy.gif

Part 2 is better than Part 1 all around. ND took big risks and they all paid off. The only storytellers close to ND work for Kojima. Plus it has the best 3rd person gameplay to date. I load up the flooded mall sequence over and over just to play it different ways. The multiplayer game is gonna be sick.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Remij said:

I never said a failure.  I said disappointing.

You're kind of proving my point.  That God of War was in it's lowest state.. people were tired with it by that point.  Sony Santa Monica literally needed a hit, or they were done for.  That's well known from their making ofs and behind the scenes.  God of War 2018 managed to do what it did coming off of that... while TLOU2 was riding high from TLOU1 and Naughty Dog's pedigree.

I'm simply saying that TLOU2 didn't reach it's potential.  The leak undeniably hurt it, and I apparently feel it hurt it a lot more than the rest of you.. but it absolutely did.  The story didn't sit well with a lot of people and there were some really IMO dumb decisions made with the game.  Based on that I think it should have and could have sold ~15M by now.

But God of War was already one of Playstation's most prestigious IPs.

The moment the game started scoring 10's, which lets be honest here NONE of the previous GoW games were getting so many perfect scores.

All of a sudden, critics are saying that its got fantastic gameplay, and fantastic open world setting, and more Action RPG mechanics, and its much more cinematic, it felt like a complete restoration of the IP.

Combined that with the fact that most people simply hadn't really played God of War since GoW3 in 2010. So most people would want to go back to GoW after such a long time.

I honestly had no idea the game was going to be that good right up until maybe two weeks before release. My mentality was "okay, another God of War, I'm sure its fine."

The leak didn't hurt shit. Nobody can even recite you whats in the leak, if you were to ask them now.

There's only two Sony first party games that have sold more than 15 million on the PS4:

God of War and Uncharted 4.

And those were released in 2018 and 2016

TLOU2 released in 2020..........you are absolutely wrong with your 15 million estimate. You don't know what you are talking about.

Edited by jehurey
  • Thanks 1