Eurogamer: Xbox "encouraged" console wars to drive competition, former exec says

9 minutes ago, Remij said:

:dame:

I hated Xbox back then :D 

Well not hated.. but I always wanted Sony to win.  Still though, you have to respect MS' hustle during that generation.  They had the better designed hardware, they had dev support, and massive franchises going full swing.

Sony was coming off the success of the PS2 ffs... that was a huge uphill battle for MS, and the fact that they essentially tied them by the end of the gen was massive.

No one is denying Sony fucked up the start of the PS3. What I’m saying is that MS completely failed to capitalize on it and instead of taking the ball and running with it, MS tripped all over themselves and allowed Sony to come back and snatch the ball away from them again. 

A complete failure on Microsoft’s part. They had everything going for them in the start of 360 gen. A much cheaper console, better PR, better running multiplats, billions in funding for 3rd party publishers, and launching a year earlier in the US and 2 years earlier in Europe and they still somehow lost at the end of the gen. Shows Microsoft’s complete incompetence and stupidity of their management. Any other company with the advantages MS had at the start of PS3 gen would have buried Sony but MS still managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory :hest:

Edited by FIREPOWER
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Peter Moore owned, had a good sense for games. He made some great exclusivity deals for the Dreamcast and original Xbox.

And that's the thing. Sony and Nintendo knowing that Peter Moore was a formidable opponent is what helped make them better.   Phil Spencer is just coming up lame.   And as cool as

My nikka Moore is still upset https://venturebeat.com/2021/11/22/peter-moore-is-still-angry-about-sony-fuding-the-dreamcast/        

Just now, FIREPOWER said:

No one is denying Sony fucked up the start of the PS3. What I’m saying is that MS completely failed to capitalize on it and instead of taking the ball and running with it MS tripped all over themselves and allowed Sony to come back and snatch the ball away from them again. 

A complete failure on Microsoft’s part. They had everything going for them in the start of 360 gen. A much cheaper console, better PR, better running multiplats, billions in funding for 3rd party publishers, and launching a year earlier in the US and 2 years earlier in Europe and they still somehow lost at the end of the gen. Shows Microsoft’s complete incompetence and stupidity of their management. Any other company with the advantages MS had at the start of PS3 gen would have buried Sony but MS still managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory :hest:

I don't think they completely failed to capitalize on it.  They certainly didn't have everything going for them.. lmfao wtf?  Sony did... coming off the PS2.  Xbox had a very steep uphill battle, and the 360 had development tool issues in the beginning.  It wasn't easy, but despite that Xbox grew quite a bit in both sales and mindshare.  Both with consumers and especially developers.  It was the better designed system and you could do some awesome shit with it.

Sony's saving grace was Amy Hennig and Naughty Dog.  100%.  Without that game... Sony would have been fucked.

They essentially ended up tied.  I'm not going to split hairs.  Sony fought hard to get back what they could, and I respect that.

8 minutes ago, Remij said:

I don't think they completely failed to capitalize on it.  They certainly didn't have everything going for them.. lmfao wtf?  Sony did... coming off the PS2.  Xbox had a very steep uphill battle, and the 360 had development tool issues in the beginning.  It wasn't easy, but despite that Xbox grew quite a bit in both sales and mindshare.  Both with consumers and especially developers.  It was the better designed system and you could do some awesome shit with it.

Sony's saving grace was Amy Hennig and Naughty Dog.  100%.  Without that game... Sony would have been fucked.

They essentially ended up tied.  I'm not going to split hairs.  Sony fought hard to get back what they could, and I respect that.

MS had everything going for them. PS3 launched at $599, a year later with no games. Sony basically committed console suicide and yet MS wasn’t able to do shit with it. I guarantee you if the show was on the other foot, Xbox wouldn’t exist today. Face it dude, Xbox leadership sucks ass. Stop tap-dancing for Phil and those clowns, they aren’t gonna offer you a job at Redmond. 

Edited by FIREPOWER
29 minutes ago, Remij said:

I didn't say that... at all.  I said.... they certainly didn't have the backing and blessing of MS back then the way they do now.   That's what I said.

It took that much money to compete against Playstation... after the juggernaut that was PS2.   They had lots of money.... but not billions to buy whoever they want... like Satya gave Phil.

LMFAO this clown trying to argue anything with me.  He wants to get slapped like a dumb bitch again I see... 4th consecutive night :tom: 

LOL he's now trying to back track.

Dude..............they paid for the entire RROD hardware replacement.......for free.

At no cost to the consumer.

Even people who have 6, 7, 8 or more replacements.

THis was costing them a FORTUNE.

And you're trying to portray it as "they didn't have a backing as big as today"

Salty Nutella is trying to do what Microsoft was doing back in 2008....................spend billions to save the XBox brand.

Xbox literally had to be saved from extinction back in the late 2000's. Because if they fucked the consumers over with bad hardware, Xbox was forever fucked.

Salty Nutella is hedging his bets.

He's buying things...........that he can sell later on and get some of his money back.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

LOL he's now trying to back track.

Dude..............they paid for the entire RROD hardware replacement.......for free.

At no cost to the consumer.

Even people who have 6, 7, 8 or more replacements.

THis was costing them a FORTUNE.

And you're trying to portray it as "they didn't have a backing as big as today"

Salty Nutella is trying to do what Microsoft was doing back in 2008....................spend billions to save the XBox brand.

Xbox literally had to be saved from extinction back in the late 2000's. Because if they fucked the consumers over with bad hardware, Xbox was forever fucked.

Salty Nutella is hedging his bets.

He's buying things...........that he can sell later on and get some of his money back.

^ :drake: 

That didn't cost them ANYWHERE CLOSE to $70B for Activision/Blizzard.... or $7B for Bethesda :danylol: 

It's also WELL documented... that Xbox didn't have the blessing of many of the big shots at MS... and they always had to compete with other aspects of MS...

You're such a fucking CLOWN if you think MS back then had anywhere CLOSE to the level of backing by MS that they have right now.

And your stupid ass last comment would have applied to any purchases made back then too LOL

6 minutes ago, Remij said:

^ :drake: 

That didn't cost them ANYWHERE CLOSE to $70B for Activision/Blizzard.... or $7B for Bethesda :danylol: 

Those are assets that can be held onto.......and sold.

Which is why Salty Nutella can approve those purchases. He's holding onto assets.

Saving the Xbox brand from the RROD was a complete writeoff..............pure money loss.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Those are assets that can be held onto.......and sold.

Which is why Salty Nutella can approve those purchases. He's holding onto assets.

Saving the Xbox brand from the RROD was a complete writeoff..............pure money loss.

MS did what they had to do... that wasn't done because the company supported them.... LMFAO idiot :lawl: 

And... they could have bought studios and expanded back in the days of the 360 too... and sold later :drake: 

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

MS did what they had to do... that wasn't done because the company supported them.... LMFAO idiot :lawl: 

And... they could have bought studios and expanded back in the days of the 360 too... and sold later :drake: 

Any other console without a rich company like MS supporting them would have gone bankrupt with the RROD losses MS wrote off for Xbox. :tocry: Why even try to deny this fact? 

Edited by FIREPOWER
Just now, Remij said:

MS did what they had to do... that wasn't done because the company supported them....

no, they could've simply decided to wrap things up and just issue refunds, and that would've been them quitting because the brand name would be forever fucked.

Microsoft decided to go into big-spending mode to DIG THE BRAND out from the hole it got itself in.

Yes.

That is saving them, and supporting them to the highest degree.

Dude, you an idiot with your retcon..........and trying to say that Microsoft didn't do as much.:tom:

Do you understand that Microsoft is doing what Netflix realized it had to do when it started streaming?

OWNING THE CONTENT..........is the better use of money, in the long-term, then LICENSING CONTENT YOU DON'T OWN

Because, if it goes tits up, you have assets to sell.

Just now, FIREPOWER said:

Any other console without a rich company supporting them would have gone bankrupt with the RROD losses MS wrote off for Xbox. :tocry: Why even try to deny this fact? 

I don't deny that.

That has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

MS having to BAIL OUT Xbox.... doesn't mean they supported them internally...  don't act like you don't understand that fact.

Many of the execs wanted Xbox sold off...

They had NO WHERE NEAR the level of support from the company then, that they do now.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

no, they could've simply decided to wrap things up and just issue refunds, and that would've been them quitting because the brand name would be forever fucked.

Microsoft decided to go into big-spending mode to DIG THE BRAND out from the hole it got itself in.

Yes.

That is saving them, and supporting them to the highest degree.

Dude, you an idiot with your retcon..........and trying to say that Microsoft didn't do as much.:tom:

Do you understand that Microsoft is doing what Netflix realized it had to do when it started streaming?

OWNING THE CONTENT..........is the better use of money, in the long-term, then LICENSING CONTENT YOU DON'T OWN

Because, if it goes tits up, you have assets to sell.

No.  That's not.

That's saving face.. and not getting sued into oblivion... 

God you're so fucking stupid.

Watch the Xbox 20th anniversary documentary retard :tom: 

1 minute ago, FIREPOWER said:

Any other console without a rich company like MS supporting them would have gone bankrupt with the RROD losses MS wrote off for Xbox. :tocry: Why even try to deny this fact? 

I believe it was David Perry, creator of Earthwom Jim, who said at some point around 2010

Sony had lost ALL OF THE PROFIT they had made during the PS1 and the PS2 era............during the R&D delays and costs for them to launch the PS3.

That's how much they were set back.

Imagine if PS3 had mass hardware failure on the level of X360's RRoD.

They wouldn't have enough money to survive. Simple as that.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Remij said:

No.  That's not.

That's saving face.. and not getting sued into oblivion... 

God you're so fucking stupid.

No, they could've hid behind their 12 month warranties.

And eventually gotten away from having to repair most of those consoles.

You're an idiot if you think RROD was just a "simple PR mishap"

Its one of the worst mass-market hardware failures in recent memory.

The only other one that compares was Samsung Galaxy S7 exploding batteries, and that wasn't even a MASS FAILURE

When the Galaxy Note 7 was recalled by Samsung in 2016, only about 100 of the 2.5 million units shipped were reported to have exploded.

RROD was actually, worse.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

No, they could've hid behind their 12 month warranties.

And eventually gotten away from having to repair most of those consoles.

You're an idiot if you think RROD was just a "simple PR mishap"

Its one of the worst mass-market hardware failures in recent memory.

The only other one that compares was Samsung Galaxy S7 exploding batteries, and that wasn't even a MASS FAILURE

RROD was actually, worse.

They COULD have... but they didn't because that's suicide... so they paid... because it was the lesser of all evils.. and the easiest way out and save face.

It's not because they were happy to, and supported Xbox :drake: 

And who said it was a simple PR mishap?  God you're such a dishonest clown when you try to argue. :tom: 

11 minutes ago, Remij said:

I don't deny that.

That has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

MS having to BAIL OUT Xbox.... doesn't mean they supported them internally...  don't act like you don't understand that fact.

Many of the execs wanted Xbox sold off...

They had NO WHERE NEAR the level of support from the company then, that they do now.

Who gives a shit whether they supported them internally? They supported them financially and that’s all that matters. When Xbox needed to be bailed out, Steve Balmer and the crew where there to bail them out. There’s no other console manufacturer that could have written off the kind of losses that Xbox division wrote off during the RROD fiasco, and that’s a fact.

Edited by FIREPOWER
2 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

Who gives a shit whether they supported them internally, they supported them financially and that’s all that matters. When Xbox needed to be bailed out Steve Balmer and the crew where there to bail them out. There’s no other console manufacturer that could have written off the kind of losses that Xbox division wrote off during the RROD fiasco, and that’s a fact.

:drake: 

The difference is "here's $70B for a company" vs "We'll pay the $1.15B to save face and do the right thing for our public image".....

Watch the fucking Xbox 20th anniversary documentary... then talk to me :danylol: 

Edited by Remij
1 minute ago, Remij said:

They COULD have... but they didn't because that's suicide... so they paid...

they literally had to way overpay............to save the xbox brand.

this is the same company that gave up on competing with the iPod

and gave up competing with Mobile Phone OS

Oddly enough they gave up on the Zune and the Windows Phone OS right around the same time they were pouring massive amounts of money saving the Xbox brand.

You really are completely wrong, here.

Like REALLY wrong............you're not even close to correct, with your retcon.

1 minute ago, Remij said:

:drake: 

The difference is "here's $70B for a company" vs "We'll pay the $1.15B to save face and do the right thing for our public image".....

Yeah..............one is paying $70B for assets that are actually worth that. And therefore they are still HOLDING VALUE

And the other is a complete monetary loss.............a COMPLETE WRITEOFF.

• Upvote 1
Just now, jehurey said:

they literally had to way overpay............to save the xbox brand.

this is the same company that gave up on competing with the iPod

and gave up competing with Mobile Phone OS

Oddly enough they gave up on the Zune and the Windows Phone OS right around the same time they were pouring massive amounts of money saving the Xbox brand.

You really are completely wrong, here.

Like REALLY wrong............you're not even close to correct, with your retcon.

You're such an idiot.  They paid to save face dumbass... not to "save Xbox"...

They could have just kept Xbox going... with their 12m warranty.... and put that money into making more games that would just make people want to buy an Xbox again...

God you're so dumb it hurts LOL

Just now, jehurey said:

Yeah..............one is paying $70B for assets that are actually worth that. And therefore they are still HOLDING VALUE

And the other is a complete monetary loss.............a COMPLETE WRITEOFF.

TO SAVE FACE for the ENTIRETY of MS....  not to save Xbox.