Ryse: Son of Rome gameplay on my Steam Deck

I was looking through my library of games and saw Ryse.. which I had completely forgotten about.  I decided to install it and check it out on the Deck.

(ok apparently the audio is really low too lol my bad haha)

Mind you the capture card I'm using is a cheap POS USB one, so it probably doesn't look as good as it could.. but MAN does this game still look pretty incredible, especially on the Deck itself!  This game was ahead of its time visually.  Crytek were on some other level shit with this on Xbox One, and Crysis 3 on PC.

What's funny is that the Steam Deck runs the game better than the Xbox One does.  TLHBR!  I checked Digital Foundry's old article about the XO version and it runs 900p, medium settings, and has some framerate drops into the high teens at times.  On the Steam Deck I have it at 900p, 30fps locked, maxed settings (all high) and it runs beautifully.  There's no FPS drops and is essentially locked at 30, even during stressful scenes I tested.  Pretty crazy considering all the overhead of being a PC, and running through a translation layer on Linux.

This game has its issues... but MS is really stupid for not pursuing this franchise further.  There's tons of potential here.  I remember when XO first launched and this game was the hottest looking thing out there.  Imagine if MS had put out more cinematic games like this, and actually given these games and studios chance to grow and improve.

As a side note, a sequel to this game is rumored to be in development at Crytek, and it is apparently multiplat now.  I wont lie, as mediocre as it is in certain ways, I'd love for a sequel to this game. :aitch: 

Edited by Remij
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jerry in a nutshell

Jerky, there's only one of us here who has both... and Steam Deck 100% shits on the original Switch.  I have a phone with a better OLED display than both your phone or your Switch... and I'd choose th

Holy shit Switch           OMFG LOL EMBARRASSING     Switch's suffering from ring of white light       OMG LOL   

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, jehurey said:

pretty sure the video capture being watched on any other person's computer monitor of phone looks better than that extremely shitty LCD screen thats in the deck.

By extension better than your Switch too I guess.

4 hours ago, jehurey said:

pretty sure the video capture being watched on any other person's computer monitor of phone looks better than that extremely shitty LCD screen thats in the deck.

Look at this bitter bitch :lawl: He has nothing he can day and he knows the Deck destroys his beloved Switch so in a fit of rage he goes on a tagent about LCD screens.

Jealously is so ugly.

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

Look at this bitter bitch :lawl: He has nothing he can day and he knows the Deck destroys his beloved Switch so in a fit of rage he goes on a tagent about LCD screens.

Jealously is so ugly.

Yep.  He immediately resorted to the only thing he could think of... and lied on top of it :mj:

9 hours ago, TLHBO said:

Jealously is so ugly.

LOL look how bitchy you got when..............I made fun of a LCD screen that is universally panned as not being good.

Tangent?

he literally starts the thread saying "hopefully this looks good"...........its not a tangent, its me saying its guaranteed to look better

7 hours ago, Remij said:

Yep.  He immediately resorted to the only thing he could think of... and lied on top of it :mj:

No, I'm not lying.

The Steam Deck DOES have a universally panned LCD screen.

Its not even better in quality than the first-gen Nintendo Switch.

How am I lying?

(he won't answer this)

21 hours ago, jehurey said:

You'd be wrong, as usual.  The capture is compressed, color isn't quite right because it's a cheap USB capture card.  You're probably just used to watching videos of games and not playing them.  As I already said in the OP... it looks incredible on the Deck itself.  Far better than the image blown up on any OLED.  I can confirm that.  You can't.

8 hours ago, jehurey said:

No, I'm not lying.

The Steam Deck DOES have a universally panned LCD screen.

Its not even better in quality than the first-gen Nintendo Switch.

How am I lying?

(he won't answer this)

Yeah you are.  And nah, the Steam Deck's LCD is perfectly fine.  It's better than the original Switch easily.. and it's also bigger.

I also have a phone with an OLED screen that's better than your Switch OLED, and I'd rather play Deck games on the LCD screen of the Deck than anything on my Phone.. and by extension your OLED Switch. :hest: 

1 hour ago, Remij said:

You'd be wrong, as usual.  The capture is compressed, color isn't quite right because it's a cheap USB capture card.

Imagine how much worse it would be on that terrible, cheap quality LCD screen on the Steam Deck.

Between that and the light bleed. Or maybe all of those helps hide the terrible compression if you were viewing the video from your Steam Deck. LOL

y9TX74u.jpg

1 hour ago, Remij said:

Yeah you are.  And nah, the Steam Deck's LCD is perfectly fine.

No, I'm not lying. the Steam Deck's LCD really is shitty, and it doesn't even compare with the original Switch.

td4rhup9lso81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Just an all-around cheaper panel, emanating more piss-yellow.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Imagine how much worse it would be on that terrible, cheap quality LCD screen on the Steam Deck.

Between that and the light bleed. Or maybe all of those helps hide the terrible compression if you were viewing the video from your Steam Deck. LOL

y9TX74u.jpg

No, I'm not lying. the Steam Deck's LCD really is shitty, and it doesn't even compare with the original Switch.

td4rhup9lso81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Just an all-around cheaper panel, emanating more piss-yellow.

:lawl: 

Steam deck vs switch : r/pcmasterrace

Jerky, there's only one of us here who has both... and Steam Deck 100% shits on the original Switch.  I have a phone with a better OLED display than both your phone or your Switch... and I'd choose the Steam Deck to play games every single time. 

And LOL hilarious that you'd post a picture of Steam Deck running Breath of the Wild LMFAO TSHBR OMG thanks for that! :kaz: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

^damn thats embarrassing :D  

who are we supposed to believe................a known port-beggar who hides behind the PC........or OUR LYIN' EYES?????????

EDIT: I got this bitch nice and angry entering the weekend. Right on schedule.

Edited by jehurey
Just now, jehurey said:

who are we supposed to believe................a known port-beggar who hides behind the PC........or OUR LYIN' EYES?????????

It doesn't matter what you believe.  I'm the only person here who can verify anything because I own both devices... and an OLED phone that's better than any portable OLED screen you have access to.

Take your little butthurt ass on out of this thread and cry somewhere else :geese: 

Jerry: *Makes a point and posts pics to prove it*

Lemij: *Makes a point and posts pics to prove it*

Jerry: *autistic screetching*

I love how he has derailed this thread with a tangent on the one area where he thinks he has his "gotacha" moment.

He picks up on one small line in the first post and uses that to justify his derailment rant....but thats exactly what he spent last week crying at substatic about, that he was focusing on one specific line in the post thus proving again what a massive hypocrite he is.

Watch him Jerrysplain this away :lawl: Somehow it won't count, somehow it's different when he does it.

• dead 1