Ryse: Son of Rome gameplay on my Steam Deck

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jerry in a nutshell

Jerky, there's only one of us here who has both... and Steam Deck 100% shits on the original Switch.  I have a phone with a better OLED display than both your phone or your Switch... and I'd choose th

Holy shit Switch           OMFG LOL EMBARRASSING     Switch's suffering from ring of white light       OMG LOL   

Posted Images

5 hours ago, TLHBO said:

Jerry: *Makes a point and posts pics to prove it*

Lemij: *Makes a point and posts pics to prove it*

Jerry: *autistic screetching*

I love how he has derailed this thread with a tangent on the one area where he thinks he has his "gotacha" moment.

He picks up on one small line in the first post and uses that to justify his derailment rant....but thats exactly what he spent last week crying at substatic about, that he was focusing on one specific line in the post thus proving again what a massive hypocrite he is.

Watch him Jerrysplain this away :lawl: Somehow it won't count, somehow it's different when he does it.

Nope, I didn't derail the thread.

You guys just got pissy over the known fact that the steam deck has a shitty LCD screen.

No, his posts aren't remotely credible at all

I love how you are joining him in utter butthurt:hest:

3 hours ago, jehurey said:

you have no credibility.

that matters.

you're a known fakeboy.

that matters

you're also a known liar

that really matters.

Jerky's inner monologue right now :mj:  

TLHBO has you absolutely pegged in this thread.  Called you out for EXACTLY what you're doing :lawl: 

15 hours ago, Remij said:

:lawl: 

Steam deck vs switch : r/pcmasterrace

Jerky, there's only one of us here who has both... and Steam Deck 100% shits on the original Switch.  I have a phone with a better OLED display than both your phone or your Switch... and I'd choose the Steam Deck to play games every single time. 

And LOL hilarious that you'd post a picture of Steam Deck running Breath of the Wild LMFAO TSHBR OMG thanks for that! :kaz: 

You ain't slick Remij:deniro:

That screenshot is from a preview that Tom's hardware with preview hardware, where they're comparing the screen size to the OG Switch, not the actual performance of the screen. 

As seen in the link below. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/steam-deck-valve-hands-on

Now when you actually get to the review, where they get to analyze the screen we get this. 

"In our Tom's Guide testing, we found that the display reached an average of 169.7 nits of brightness. It produces 68.5% of the sRGB color gamut and registers 48% of the DCI-P3 color gamut. The latter figures fall short of the desired 100% or above target. Numerically, the screen isn't all that bright. In real-world usage, though, it's bright enough so long as you're indoors."

Now that doesn't mean the screen is dog shit,  but the minute you step out on your patio or porch with it you would be struggling to see the action. 

The steam deck out classes the Switch spec wise but that's expected. The deck came out 5 years after the Switch. 

The Screen is something they could have done better on.  It's about equal to the OG Switch in optional lighting conditions indoors, anywhere besides there performance degrades.  

Hopefully the next Deck model has a better LCD or at least an OLED.   Seeing as the most recent Switch has an OLED you can bet the Next gen Switch will have one as well. 

4 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

That screenshot is from a preview that Tom's hardware with preview hardware, where they're comparing the screen size to the OG Switch, not the actual performance of the screen. 

Now when you actually get to the review, where they get to analyze the screen we get this. 

"In our Tom's Guide testing, we found that the display reached an average of 169.7 nits of brightness. It produces 68.5% of the sRGB color gamut and registers 48% of the DCI-P3 color gamut. The latter figures fall short of the desired 100% or above target. Numerically, the screen isn't all that bright. In real-world usage, though, it's bright enough so long as you're indoors."

Now that doesn't mean the screen is dog shit,  but the minute you step out on your patio or porch with it you would be struggling to see the action. 

The steam deck out classes the Switch spec wise but that's expected. The deck came out 5 years after the Switch. 

The Screen is something they could have done better on.  It's about equal to the OG Switch in optional lighting conditions indoors, anywhere besides there performance degrades.  

Hopefully the next Deck model has a better LCD or at least an OLED.   Seeing as the most recent Switch has an OLED you can bet the Next gen Switch will have one as well. 

None of that changes what I said.

And the Deck has been updated to offer color calibration, which was lacking in the beginning.  The Deck came out of the gate with a fairly poor calibration, which was skewed to the cold side.

That's easily adjustable now.

Like I've said... it's better than the OG Switch.  It's a bigger screen, and I can compare them directly in the exact same lighting conditions and the Deck is brighter and pops just a hair more.  I'm fine with calling them equal... with the Deck screen winning overall because it has a much larger display with a slightly higher resolution.

And yes, of course hopefully the next model has a better screen, preferably an OLED.

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

None of that changes what I said.

And the Deck has been updated to offer color calibration, which was lacking in the beginning.  The Deck came out of the gate with a fairly poor calibration, which was skewed to the cold side.

That's easily adjustable now.

Like I've said... it's better than the OG Switch.  It's a bigger screen, and I can compare them directly in the exact same lighting conditions and the Deck is brighter and pops just a hair more.  I'm fine with calling them equal... with the Deck screen winning overall because it has a much larger display with a slightly higher resolution.

And yes, of course hopefully the next model has a better screen, preferably an OLED.

Yes equal indoors in ideal lighting conditions. 

The deck came out 5 years after the Switch, the screen should have outclassed the OG Switch easily.   

4 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

I also have them both. Deck screen is better. The bigger deal is just how much more comfortable the Deck is. Switch has ergonomics worse than a LeapFrog tablet.

It's immediately apparent in person that the Deck's screen is better.  It's not up for debate with anyone who has both and can easily compare them.

Now the OLED Switch is better of course, but again, I'd take the Deck with it's LCD screen over a OLED Switch any day of the week. 

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

Yes equal indoors in ideal lighting conditions. 

The deck came out 5 years after the Switch, the screen should have outclassed the OG Switch easily.   

It would have been nice for sure, but Valve has other hurdles to put their budget towards.  The Deck's screen is perfectly fine, and it's only when you're comparing them directly with OLEDs that you really even think about that stuff.

There's lots of improvements to make for future Decks.  I'm sure the next iteration will have an LCD version AND an OLED version.  They can more organically upgrade these devices than Nintendo or other console manufacturers can.  The entire system is built around every aspect scaling in the future.

Just now, Remij said:

It would have been nice for sure, but Valve has other hurdles to put their budget towards.  The Deck's screen is perfectly fine, and it's only when you're comparing them directly with OLEDs that you really even think about that stuff.

There's lots of improvements to make for future Decks.  I'm sure the next iteration will have an LCD version AND an OLED version.  They can more organically upgrade these devices than Nintendo or other console manufacturers can.  The entire system is built around every aspect scaling in the future.

Yes the screen is perfectly fine, just saying for a system that came out 5 years later it should have been better than what is was. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Yes the screen is perfectly fine, just saying for a system that came out 5 years later it should have been better than what is was. 

I agree.  Especially on the high end.  They could have done it.  Should have had an OLED option right from the start.

31 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Why is everyone taking jerrys bait and sperging over the screen still?

What you said is reasonable. It could have been better. Switch now has an OLED but thats a revision, I'm sure the next Deck will have a better screen. Costs had to be cut somewhere to get the price down and they probably played the whole thing a little safe, but they'll no doubt take the feedback on board for the next model.

It doesnt take away from everything the device has to offer. Thats just jerry desperately trying to find anything he can to attack with.

Lets not forget how bad the original GBA was with no backlight :killzone: It made some games unplayable like Doom, but it wasn't enough for players to reject the device. Nintendo amended this with the SP.

It's still absolutely crazy that the Deck starts at $399. If these LCDs prove durable against burn-in over the years, I will say it was a total success.  I've never looked at the Deck screen and been disappointed while gaming. Watching Netflix and using the desktop is another story, but that more comes down to resolution than overall quality.

4 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

It's still absolutely crazy that the Deck starts at $399. If these LCDs prove durable against burn-in over the years, I will say it was a total success.  I've never looked at the Deck screen and been disappointed while gaming. Watching Netflix and using the desktop is another story, but that more comes down to resolution than overall quality.

It's good that they got a SKU down to that price for sure, however, I honestly wouldn't recommend it because 64GB is simply too low.  Hell, even the 256GB version I have is pushing it really.  I mean, it's fine, but annoying having to delete and remove/move games because of a lack of space.

There's constant shader cache downloads which can add up if you have a lot of games installed on your Deck.  Yes, the MicroSD cards obviously make things better, but high capacity cards aren't exactly cheap either.. especially if you want a decent one with solid speeds to ensure proper function.  There's lots of cheap ones out there which don't do what they say on the tin can.. so the buyer has to be cautious of that.

I've got 256GB internal Deck plus a 512GB MicroSD card, and I'm quite happy with that now.  I can have like ~5 big AAA games installed at any given time plus some mid sized games, and a bunch of indie games.  

1TB would be perfect for a future Deck.

Also, many developers out there are optimizing the download package when downloaded to the Deck, so package sizes are smaller.  It's a great thing to see some developers going out of their way to do that for older titles.. and I think we can expect more games in the future to consider it as well.

On 2022-09-03 at 1:46 PM, TLHBO said:

_20220903_194238.thumb.JPG.267fcf30c25249ecc29bbc6b6db21379.JPG

Jerry in a nutshell

LOL this guy got so butthurt he attempted to be creative

i love how they're now calling it autistic rants:drake: As if they could explain it if they had to (which they can't).

On 2022-09-03 at 2:06 PM, Remij said:

Jerky's inner monologue right now :mj:  

TLHBO has you absolutely pegged in this thread.  Called you out for EXACTLY what you're doing :lawl: 

LOl they're trying to help each other out. They're so angry, together.

You're a known fakeboy............that's not an inner monologue, that's 100% provable on this forum, and you know it.

I love how its now part of your name. Known Fakeboy Lemij

And gouko caught you lying...................AGAIN.

Edited by jehurey
On 2022-09-03 at 3:45 PM, TLHBO said:

Why is everyone taking jerrys bait and sperging over the screen still?

What you said is reasonable. It could have been better

Its not bait......its absolutely a well-deserved criticism.

You guys are now, JUST NOW, acknowledging the criticism.

I even played fair...............I didn't compare it to the Switch OLED. That was me doing you pathetic steam deck fanboys a favor.

I compared it to the OG Switch, a 5 year old device.

And the Steam Deck already has more cases of LCD light bleed, than the 80 million devices that Nintendo mass produced, that are upwards of 5 years old.

The OG Switch even sold for less.

The other Fakeboy even said "oh, Valve improved color calibration" months after it released. Oh ok, guess those loyal launch owners got worse color performance from their launch units. Valve is basically saying that its still beta hardware.