TCHBO: DF Special - is TLOU remake a dirty cash grab?

I really don't see what there is to be mad about. It's not a lynchpin release for the year as Sheep often have to stomach. It brings the best cinematic game story into one (mostly) cohesive level of production. It will make whole bloody affair more accessible to a huge audience whose first impression comes from the HBO show.

55 minutes ago, ghostz said:

They made a remake for the 3rd time in 9 years and raised the price. :cosby2:

I'm not buying it. In like 3 years when I revisit the series, it'll be there probably on a subscription service. So why should I be mad it exists?

56 minutes ago, ghostz said:

They won’t cost more than they originally sold for. Plus, portability changes the entire way you play the game. 

That's why the Steam Deck is already the best and most innovative system of all time.  It changes how you play virtually the entire past and future of videogames.

It's a dirty cash grab, especially for the cows... but as I've said before it makes sense in the context of what they're doing with the entire franchise right now.

New gamers coming in from the upcoming TV show

New PC players

New PS5 players who never owned a PS console before

Sets the stage for TLOU: Factions upcoming multiplayer game

They're targeting a wider audience with this release.  Bringing this game up to the level of the sequel for true fans of the series and for people who have never played it before is the right call.

19 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's a dirty cash grab, especially for the cows... but as I've said before it makes sense in the context of what they're doing with the entire franchise right now.

New PC players

They're targeting a wider audience with this release.  Bringing this game up to the level of the sequel for true fans of the series and for people who have never played it before is the right call.

The cash grab is not having Part 2 on the disc. It's obvious they're gonna sell that eventually.

29 minutes ago, Remij said:

New PC players

i think they could have just released a bundle with the PS4 remaster and TLOU2 (maybe a version with a few more bells and whistles) and sold that for $70. People who are new to the series and want the full story are not going to be as impressed if they play both games back to back now. TLOU2 is going to feel like dlc.

5 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

The cash grab is not having Part 2 on the disc. It's obvious they're gonna sell that eventually.

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

i think they could have just released a bundle with the PS4 remaster and TLOU2 and sold that for $70. People who are new to the series and want the full story are not going to be as impressed if they play both games back to back now. TLOU2 is going to feel like dlc.

That's absolutely what they should have done for PS owners indeed.  Having both TLOU P1, and TLOU P2 (with PS5 patch) for full price would be fair for console owners.

For PC players though, I think in this case it's completely fine to charge full price for each game separately.  It's a lot of work to bring them to PC in the first place, and they've completely rebuilt the visuals for P1 to essentially match P2.. so I'm down with it.

Another Scumny thing regarding this game is the apparent lack of accountability by Sony to replace the Firefly Editions (only sold directly via PS themselves) which players are apparently receiving.

There are apparently quite a few users complaining about damage and the terrible packaging it comes in.

Spoiler

FbrPKG2XkAAyRPJ?format=jpg&name=4096x409FbrPKG3XEAAejXC?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Fbq1m6ZXEAMqDRH?format=jpg&name=large

v8wkz0086il91.jpg?width=320&crop=smart&aFbrtOEYXgAIbmCw?format=jpg&name=medium

Tons of reports like that.

Hopefully they rectify that issue if it's widespread, because that's a $100 edition of the game..

• Sad 1

Wait, they priced it higher than the original at 70$ USD? I fucking hate than new price tag. In Canada it means paying over a 100$ for one game. :D Fuck off. I refuse to pay that price for anything. 

2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Wait, they priced it higher than the original at 70$ USD? I fucking hate than new price tag. In Canada it means paying over a 100$ for one game. :D Fuck off. I refuse to pay that price for anything. 

Yeah it's really close to that price.

I often see people talk about games in the past, like SNES, GENSIS, N64, and PS1 games costing similar prices back in the day... which was true when you account for inflation.. but back then you also got a beautiful game box, an actual cartridge with physical chips and memory, and big color manuals,  also with other extras inside the box like posters and magazine offers.

Paying $70 for a cartridge and a beautiful box art and manual is easily understandable for me.  But a cheap as fuck plastic disc, a plastic game case with every possible chunk of plastic cut out of it that they could get away with, and a pathetic colorless pamphlet with a website address for some bullshit just isn't acceptable.  That's why I'd rather just say fuck it an go digital and having the convenience of what that brings.

Games back then also shipped as complete products.  They had all the content that was ever going to be made for the game right there.  The games also didn't have fucking advertisements and other bullshit that we have to deal with these days.  To me, that's worth the price.  I don't even want to hear all this shit about how games are so much harder to develop and more expensive than ever to develop.  Sorry, but back in the old days they were actually revolutionizing and innovating in games and graphics.  In every aspect they had to put in just as hard of work.

Now, AAA games demanding that price have to stand out visually from the pack in production values... and most games simply don't do that.