TCHBO: DF Special - is TLOU remake a dirty cash grab?

18 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yeah it's really close to that price.

I often see people talk about games in the past, like SNES, GENSIS, N64, and PS1 games costing similar prices back in the day... which was true when you account for inflation.. but back then you also got a beautiful game box, an actual cartridge with physical chips and memory, and big color manuals,  also with other extras inside the box like posters and magazine offers.

Paying $70 for a cartridge and a beautiful box art and manual is easily understandable for me.  But a cheap as fuck plastic disc, a plastic game case with every possible chunk of plastic cut out of it that they could get away with, and a pathetic colorless pamphlet with a website address for some bullshit just isn't acceptable.  That's why I'd rather just say fuck it an go digital and having the convenience of what that brings.

Games back then also shipped as complete products.  They had all the content that was ever going to be made for the game right there.  The games also didn't have fucking advertisements and other bullshit that we have to deal with these days.  To me, that's worth the price.  I don't even want to hear all this shit about how games are so much harder to develop and more expensive than ever to develop.  Sorry, but back in the old days they were actually revolutionizing and innovating in games and graphics.  In every aspect they had to put in just as hard of work.

Now, AAA games demanding that price have to stand out visually from the pack in production values... and most games simply don't do that.

Couldn't agree more, Games used to have an instruction manual in color that had bios, maps, walkthrough, tips and story synopsis. I still remember sitting in backseat and looking at the beautiful Toriyama art work of my brand new copy of Chrono Trigger that I was bringing back home. It was also part of the experience.  That's one of the priciest game I bought back then. 

You have to remember though a lot of games were also very cheap, they were no norms on video games prices so it kinda varied based on demand I think. Some games were $30 while other were $70 and it's not because the higher priced game was a AAA production or something like that, every game were kinda on the same playing field but the price wasn't at all. Like I don't remember Nintendo first party games being that expensive but all the Squaresoft games (god, it feels great saying that brand again) were really expensive. I broke my piggy bank for games like CT, Secret of Evermore and Final Fantasy III. I remember I could have bought two games for the price of one Square RPG. I didn't give a fuck though.

You make a good point on games being finished products back then too, no second chance with patches and DLC, it's what you get. 

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Couldn't agree more, Games used to have an instruction manual in color that had bios, maps, walkthrough, tips and story synopsis. I still remember sitting in backseat and looking at the beautiful Toriyama art work of my brand new copy of Chrono Trigger that I was bringing back home. It was also part of the experience.  That's one of the priciest game I bought back then. 

You have to remember though a lot of games were also very cheap, they were no norms on video games prices so it kinda varied based on demand I think. Some games were $30 while other were $70 and it's not because the higher priced game was a AAA production or something like that, every game were kinda on the same playing field but the price wasn't at all. Like I don't remember Nintendo first party games being that expensive but all the Squaresoft games (god, it feels great saying that brand again) were really expensive. I broke my piggy bank for games like CT, Secret of Evermore and Final Fantasy III. I remember I could have bought two games for the price of one Square RPG. I didn't give a fuck though.

You make a good point on games being finished products back then too, no second chance with patches and DLC, it's what you get. 

Yep, you're absolutely right about those things also being a part of the experience.  We've all had that experience of eagerly waiting to get back home with our game, opening it up and reading the manuals and putting the posters up on our walls in our bedrooms.

One of my prized gaming possessions is the original FF1.  I got it for Christmas.. and not only was it this massive new adventure, but it also came with a Nintendo Power Strategy guide.

Nintendo_Power_Strategy_Guide_Final_Fant

My LORD was I enamored with it.  I couldn't even really read it back then lol... but it had tons of images and maps.  Charts with stats and all sorts of awesome shit which I just LOVED.

Everything was just awesome back then.  The boxes with beautiful artwork.  You FELT like you were getting a complete package.. something made with pride and packaged accordingly.  Nowadays it's simply not like that.  Of course there are games which have $70 worth of content in them... and some which have astoundingly beautiful production values which you can appreciate... but the "package" isn't usually that special.

• Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yep, you're absolutely right about those things also being a part of the experience.  We've all had that experience of eagerly waiting to get back home with our game, opening it up and reading the manuals and putting the posters up on our walls in our bedrooms.

One of my prized gaming possessions is the original FF1.  I got it for Christmas.. and not only was it this massive new adventure, but it also came with a Nintendo Power Strategy guide.

Nintendo_Power_Strategy_Guide_Final_Fant

My LORD was I enamored with it.  I couldn't even really read it back then lol... but it had tons of images and maps.  Charts with stats and all sorts of awesome shit which I just LOVED.

Everything was just awesome back then.  The boxes with beautiful artwork.  You FELT like you were getting a complete package.. something made with pride and packaged accordingly.  Nowadays it's simply not like that.  Of course there are games which have $70 worth of content in them... and some which have astoundingly beautiful production values which you can appreciate... but the "package" isn't usually that special.

That's really cool. My first FF was FFII though, I never really had any nostalgia for the NES game.

Maybe you might know what I'm going to talk about, Nintendo Power made a special issue on FFII and it had similar artworks, I used to fucking love those so much. 

Edited by Ramza
  • Like 1
Just now, Ramza said:

That's really cool. My first FF was FFII though, I never really had any nostalgia for the NES game.

Maybe you might know what I'm going to talk about, Nintendo Power made a special issue on FFII and it had similar artworks, I used to fucking love those so much. 

Yep.

Getting actual tangible things for your money is what made it all so special.  Standard game packages today miss that mark.  Sure you get some special editions which attempt to offer some of that value, but those are the exceptions not the rule.

Nintendo Power was so fucking ownage :lawd:

Just now, Remij said:

Yep.

Getting actual tangible things for your money is what made it all so special.  Standard game packages today miss that mark.  Sure you get some special editions which attempt to offer some of that value, but those are the exceptions not the rule.

Nintendo Power was so fucking ownage :lawd:

Has cool as Nintendo Power was in the early 90s, when OPM came out with those demo discs it changed everything. It's insane how much I used to play those demo discs. Lmao. I'd love to play them again. 

• aitch 1
Just now, Ramza said:

Has cool as Nintendo Power was in the early 90s, when OPM came out with those demo discs it changed everything. It's insane how much I used to play those demo discs. Lmao. I'd love to play them again. 

Hell yeah.

Playstation Underground too :wow2: 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Ramza said:

The N64 hbr.

Opening the disc drive and putting your own CD music instead while playing Vigilante 8. :smoke: 

Dude, the friend of mine who introduced me to Playstation (we were from different towns but went to the same school) made me a VHS recording of a bunch of PS games to show me how awesome it was.  He put on RE1, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Battle Arena Toshinden 2, Crash Bandicoot, Tecmo's Deception, and  Ridge Racer Revolution... and he showed that you could put in a music CD and play it after the race had loaded.

My mind was blown... looking at those 3d visuals, flying around the track while listening to White Zombie :lawd:

The N64 was coming... but next gen was already here with PS1. :whew: 

16 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

That's why the Steam Deck is already the best and most innovative system of all time.  It changes how you play virtually the entire past and future of videogames.

The steam deck was the system that did that huh? Lmfao. 

11 hours ago, Remij said:

Yeah it's really close to that price.

I often see people talk about games in the past, like SNES, GENSIS, N64, and PS1 games costing similar prices back in the day... which was true when you account for inflation.. but back then you also got a beautiful game box, an actual cartridge with physical chips and memory, and big color manuals,  also with other extras inside the box like posters and magazine offers.

Paying $70 for a cartridge and a beautiful box art and manual is easily understandable for me.  But a cheap as fuck plastic disc, a plastic game case with every possible chunk of plastic cut out of it that they could get away with, and a pathetic colorless pamphlet with a website address for some bullshit just isn't acceptable.  That's why I'd rather just say fuck it an go digital and having the convenience of what that brings.

Games back then also shipped as complete products.  They had all the content that was ever going to be made for the game right there.  The games also didn't have fucking advertisements and other bullshit that we have to deal with these days.  To me, that's worth the price.  I don't even want to hear all this shit about how games are so much harder to develop and more expensive than ever to develop.  Sorry, but back in the old days they were actually revolutionizing and innovating in games and graphics.  In every aspect they had to put in just as hard of work.

Now, AAA games demanding that price have to stand out visually from the pack in production values... and most games simply don't do that.

You'd be lucky if you get a pamphlet.

Games nowadays come with the disc, and the game case.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jehurey said:

a laptop computer

from circa 1997

A laptop can also play Windwaker, which Nintendo is gonna charge you 60 to play on Switch. With way fewer enhancements than Naughty Dog has done.