PS5 overtakes Nintendo Switch to become 2022’s best-selling console in the UK

12 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

That's your hopes and dreams mixed in with delusion. 

Nintendo isn't making non hybrid mobile systems anymore.. So it definitely won't be low end like DS was when it launched.

And your delusion is that the handheld PCs will come close to the mass market of the Switch 2.

Switch 2 will easily outsell all of them by a mile...just like the OG Switch is currently doing :umad:

Nintendo has competition in that space now.  It's up to Valve and other portable PC devices to see how far they're going to push it.

You're laughing now, but things can change quickly, as Nintendo already has proven.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"It was another strong month for PS5 in the UK, with stock levels up 56% in August compared with July (GfK data)"    "Sony’s machine is currently the UK’s best-selling console of the year (s

Xbox is so worthless

lmao   With the "hybrid" market, as you're calling it... Deck has access and gets far more games.  If you want to play any number of games portably... the only way to do that is with the St

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Remij said:

Dude, why are you even mentioning this?

It has to run games that already run on Switch... that's it...

Obviously it's going to be more powerful and thus will be able to run potential ports of more games than it could have before because of that...  But nothing says those ports get made... Nothing says Nintendo is pushing for more 3rd party support.

All we can safely assume at this point is that Nintendo wants a more powerful Switch to satisfy their own growing demands on hardware.

You jumped in a conversation where sugarhigh is saying that the next switch will be a low end device for kids ala GBA/DS but you're asking me why im saying it has to be powerful enough to run some current gen ports? Lol  because the guy im talking with expects it not to even support that. 

Nothing says Nintendo is pushing for more 3rd party support? You must have missed the entire point of Switch. 

Besides unifying Nintendo's development under one system another major goal was to have a system that could run current engines, current APIs  and current tools.. which would lead to more 3rd party support as well as faster turn around and cheaper development for Nintendo's own games

The Wii and Wiiu didn't support much of the current engines or APIs and used outdated tools. One of the goals of the NX was to modernize that for their systems moving forward and ensure it has the support I just mentioned to foster software development both for 1st party and 3rd. 

18 minutes ago, Remij said:

Nintendo has competition in that space now.  It's up to Valve and other portable PC devices to see how far they're going to push it.

You're laughing now, but things can change quickly, as Nintendo already has proven.

All video game hardware competes with each other for the consumer dollars.   Those mobile PCs unless they turn into actual consoles where it just works for all games.. No tinkering etc.. If not will stay non mass market devices. 

NINTENDO, Sony and MS will remain the big 3 in the gaming hardware space for the foreseeable future. 

Valve is contender # 100 in the "Handheld" space they’ll have success within the PC crowd beyond that.. Nah. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

You jumped in a conversation where sugarhigh is saying that the next switch will be a low end device for kids ala GBA/DS but you're asking me why im saying it has to be powerful enough to run some current gen ports? Lol  because the guy im talking with expects it not to even support that. 

Nothing says Nintendo is pushing for more 3rd party support? You must have missed the entire point of Switch. 

Besides unifying Nintendo's development under one system another major goal was to have a system that could run current engines, current APIs  and current tools.. which would lead to more 3rd party support as well as faster turn around and cheaper development for Nintendo's own games

The Wii and Wiiu didn't support much of the current engines or APIs and used outdated tools. One of the goals of the NX was to modernize that for their systems moving forward and ensure it has the support I just mentioned to foster software development both for 1st party and 3rd. 

You were responding directly to me though... and I never said anything like that.  What I said was that the Switch 2 simply has to carry on the Switch's library.. and it obviously will.  Naturally increasing the specs will influence what games can be ported to the device.  Obviously it's not going to be a 3DS level device.. It will be around the Deck IMO.  My skepticism comes from with regards to it being any better than that... considering the other obstacles in place.  I don't believe Nvidia's Ampere efficiencies will make up the difference AND allow Switch 2 to be more performant at the same time.  We'll see though. 

Nah, those weren't ever the goals of the Switch... let's be real.  The Switch's goal was to unify their platforms and markets where Nintendo games always sold well.  Indie games and indie support are what really kicked off the Switch's success, and 3rd party developers brought over what they could because of that success.

6 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

All video game hardware competes with each other for the consumer dollars.   Those mobile PCs unless they turn into actual consoles where it just works for all games.. No tinkering etc.. If not will stay non mass market devices. 

NINTENDO, Sony and MS will remain the big 3 in the gaming hardware space for the foreseeable future. 

Valve is contender # 100 in the "Handheld" space they’ll have success within the PC crowd beyond that.. Nah. 

Direct competition... Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.  If a person sees a $399 Switch, or a $399 Steam Deck.... they have a direct decision to make.

That also is another thing... Switch is sold at retail... Steam Deck's aren't currently.  They're not competing directly YET...  If Valve puts Deck on shelves.. things could ramp up considerably.

Valve is currently purposefully limiting their reach... they're admittedly still developing the platform.  It's not ready for mass market yet... but if things go right for Valve it could be.. and it's simply ignorance if you don't think that poses an issue to Nintendo.

10 minutes ago, Remij said:

You were responding directly to me though... and I never said anything like that.  What I said was that the Switch 2 simply has to carry on the Switch's library.. and it obviously will.  Naturally increasing the specs will influence what games can be ported to the device.  Obviously it's not going to be a 3DS level device.. It will be around the Deck IMO.  My skepticism comes from with regards to it being any better than that... considering the other obstacles in place.  I don't believe Nvidia's Ampere efficiencies will make up the difference AND allow Switch 2 to be more performant at the same time.  We'll see though. 

Nah, those weren't ever the goals of the Switch... let's be real.  The Switch's goal was to unify their platforms and markets where Nintendo games always sold well.  Indie games and indie support are what really kicked off the Switch's success, and 3rd party developers brought over what they could because of that success.

The goal of the NX was multifaceted. Go re read or re watch Nintendo's goals for NX and also Reggie's outline as to why development on Wiiu was so hard for 3rd to parties and what they wanted to change moving forward with the new line of systems. 

8 minutes ago, Remij said:

Direct competition... Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.  If a person sees a $399 Switch, or a $399 Steam Deck.... they have a direct decision to make.

That also is another thing... Switch is sold at retail... Steam Deck's aren't currently.  They're not competing directly YET...  If Valve puts Deck on shelves.. things could ramp up considerably.

Valve is currently purposefully limiting their reach... they're admittedly still developing the platform.  It's not ready for mass market yet... but if things go right for Valve it could be.. and it's simply ignorance if you don't think that poses an issue to Nintendo.

If if if. 

The deck isn't in stores... It isn't available widely.  It isn't ready for mass market and the hybrid function of the deck is even less ready for mass market then mobile part of the deck. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

If if if. 

The deck isn't in stores... It isn't available widely.  It isn't ready for mass market and the hybrid function of the deck is even less ready for mass market then mobile part of the deck. 

Well yes...  I've been saying that since the very beginning.  Of course it's an "if" because it obviously isn't yet.  But you're acting like it could never be...

Just now, Remij said:

Well yes...  I've been saying that since the very beginning.  Of course it's an "if" because it obviously isn't yet.  But you're acting like it could never be...

Yes and by the time valve is ready for mass market, Nintendo will still be using the Switch 1 as its main system.  The system that will have reached full market saturation by the end of this year... Will be what the deck will directly go up against.. Lol

8 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

The goal of the NX was multifaceted. Go re read or re watch Nintendo's goals for NX and also Reggie's outline as to why development on Wiiu was so hard for 3rd to parties and what they wanted to change moving forward with the new line of systems. 

Just watched Reggie talk about it.  Indie developers are 3rd party developers. 

Making the development environment easier benefits everyone, Nintendo included.  I'm not convinced they were seeking more ports of 3rd party games from big publishers in the beginning... it just resulted from the success of Switch... due to the massive support of indie games.

8 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Yes and by the time valve is ready for mass market, Nintendo will still be using the Switch 1 as its main system.  The system that will have reached full market saturation by the end of this year... Will be what the deck will directly go up against.. Lol

No lol.  Valve aren't going to be ready any time soon.  Switch will be a distant memory by the time that happens.  Valve won't even consider it until Deck 2 or later.

But remember when I say that... that Deck will be a far more fluid platform than Nintendo will ever have.  Valve can release hardware on a whim because they can adapt to changes in technology more rapidly... whereas Nintendo consoles and generations come with expectations.

All I'm saying is that eventually Valve will have built up the foundation for a platform, and when the right hardware/price/performance ratio hits... they could massively disrupt Nintendo's market.

That's not happening anytime soon, but it's something Nintendo might have to deal with in the future.

10 minutes ago, Remij said:

No lol.  Valve aren't going to be ready any time soon.  Switch will be a distant memory by the time that happens.  Valve won't even consider it until Deck 2 or later.

But remember when I say that... that Deck will be a far more fluid platform than Nintendo will ever have.  Valve can release hardware on a whim because they can adapt to changes in technology more rapidly... whereas Nintendo consoles and generations come with expectations.

All I'm saying is that eventually Valve will have built up the foundation for a platform, and when the right hardware/price/performance ratio hits... they could massively disrupt Nintendo's market.

That's not happening anytime soon, but it's something Nintendo might have to deal with in the future.

Exactly my point.  By the time Valve is ready they will be going up directly against a different system then the OG Switch. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

Exactly my point.  By the time Valve is ready they will be going up directly against a different system then the OG Switch. 

Oh for sure.

I'm just talking about that market in general.  Valve has a lot of work to do, Switch 2 will already be well well established by the time that happens..  That's even if Valve has aspirations to directly compete like that in the first place.  

Regardless, currently the objective is to build up the platform (software, support, UI, ect) and now that they have a product in people's hands they can get an idea of the work they need to do and push in whatever direction it takes them.

But, even today it's true that there's now a new market of Switch-like devices which play your PC games portably.. which could be enticing to gamers who enjoy that type of thing.  It's not like there's no other options for portable gaming anymore.

1 minute ago, Remij said:

Oh for sure.

I'm just talking about that market in general.  Valve has a lot of work to do, Switch 2 will already be well well established by the time that happens..  That's even if Valve has aspirations to directly compete like that in the first place.  

Regardless, currently the objective is to build up the platform (software, support, UI, ect) and now that they have a product in people's hands they can get an idea of the work they need to do and push in whatever direction it takes them.

But, even today it's true that there's now a new market of Switch-like devices which play your PC games portably.. which could be enticing to gamers who enjoy that type of thing.  It's not like there's no other options for portable gaming anymore.

Switch is not strictly a portable though... Its a hybrid.   It functions as both.  That's another huge value proposition of the device. 

Nintendo knocked out the park day one with with the ease of use to switch between modes and all the kinks that needed to ne worked out to make that possible at launch. 

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Switch is not strictly a portable though... Its a hybrid.   It functions as both.  That's another huge value proposition of the device. 

Nintendo knocked out the park day one with with the ease of use to switch between modes and all the kinks that needed to ne worked out to make that possible at launch. 

Well so does the Deck, and it will in the future as well.

They'll both serve the exact same methods of gaming.  The ease of use could force people one way, or another depending on their preferences.  It'll be just like the console/PC markets.

16 minutes ago, Remij said:

Well so does the Deck, and it will in the future as well.

They'll both serve the exact same methods of gaming.  The ease of use could force people one way, or another depending on their preferences.  It'll be just like the console/PC markets.

Which is also what I said.  The console market is still the dominant market in gaming. Not saying PC is struggling but consoles drive the market. 

The differentiating factor will also be that Switch will get 1st party and 3rd party exclusive content. 

Deck isn't getting exclusive content. 

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Which is also what I said.  The console market is still the dominant market in gaming. Not saying PC is struggling but consoles drive the market. 

The differentiating factor will also be that Switch will get 1st party and 3rd party exclusive content. 

Deck isn't getting exclusive content. 

lol dude, the Deck platform will get far more "exclusives" in the context of games that Switch wont get.... just as PC already does over consoles.

17 minutes ago, Remij said:

lol dude, the Deck platform will get far more "exclusives" in the context of games that Switch wont get.... just as PC already does over consoles.

Games that can be played on other systems out of the box aren't exclusive. 

You can twist and turn that how ever you like. 

No games will be made exclusively for deck as valve already stated.  You can take that argument up with them if you like :umad: