Splatoon 3 sells over 3.45 million in 3 days... In Japan alone.

34 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I played through the first few campaign levels. Its enjoyable but definitely a huge rehash. They need to be a bit more ambitious with the next one, there's no excuse given how much money it brings in.

From watching the digital foundry review they say the first few levels feel the same but after that it's much different. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

I played through the first few campaign levels. Its enjoyable but definitely a huge rehash. They need to be a bit more ambitious with the next one, there's no excuse given how much money it brings in.

let me know if it changes up as you progress.

Valorant blew up big in Japan last year. It was and I think it still is the most viewed game on Twitch in Japan. Valorant's huge surge in popularity was surprising because it's a PC game and Japan isn't really a PC market. 

You would think it would be a Fighting Game that would be the top viewed but apparently Fighting Games are losing popularity in Japan because they're becoming seen as "old man games" by the younger generation of gamers as more time passes by. This could be the reason why you don't see Arcade releases anymore. DBZ, the highest and biggest fighting game of the last generation, didn't get a Arcade release. GranBlue, Strive, KoF, SamSho... none of them got an Arcade release. Hell, there's a feeling that fuckin' STREET FIGHTER 6 won't get an Arcade release which is just insane to me.

I had no idea Valorant was that big in Japan. I was actually addicted to that game for a while last year, its combination of Counterstrike gameplay with MOBA characters that have unique abilities felt great. I don't even like competetive/e-sports games but that one hooked me for a bit. 

This must originate from Nintendo marketing Splatoon really well to young kids in Japan. Like maybe there's a tv show, or music content or clothing that they've been cultivating since the first game released, and its now paying off huge dividends.

Animal Crossing sold 2.6 million

This thing beat Animal Crossing, and it beat by by 800,000 units. It wasn't even close.