Who else got that iPhone 14?

5 hours ago, ghostz said:

They’re constantly rated the best phone. Lol

Lol phone review sites are almost as bad as vpn review sites, shit is all paid for these days or run by people whonknow nothing.

Hardware wise yeah iphone is certainly up there but the software sucks because of Apple.

You know if the EU can force Apple yo open up it would really be a good thing for the iphone.

21 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Lol phone review sites are almost as bad as vpn review sites, shit is all paid for these days or run by people whonknow nothing.

Hardware wise yeah iphone is certainly up there but the software sucks because of Apple.

You know if the EU can force Apple yo open up it would really be a good thing for the iphone.

not tryna start a phone war but what sucks about the software?  What do you want to do on your phone that you can’t on an iPhone? 

Edited by ghostz
49 minutes ago, ghostz said:

not tryna start a phone war but what sucks about the software?  What do you want to do on your phone that you can’t on an iPhone? 

You can''t have different browsers because Apple mandates they all have to be based on webkit. So there's no real chromium browsers, no real firefox browsers they're all basically Safari wrappers.

No alternate browsers can be used for progressive web apps, only Apple's Safari is allowed to do that.

You can't use 3rd party messenger apps to handle SMS Messages, only iMessage is allowed to do that.

There's a pattern there that 3rd party software is held back to keep Apples software on top and the users suffer for it.

You aren't allowed to install 3rd party clients like f-droid. As a real world example of how this effects me If I want youtube I can use newpipe app, it blocks all their crappy ads and tracking. On iphone if I want youtube I'm stuck with the crappy app which has an ad every 30 seconds and google spyware or I use the browser which also has ads every 30 seconds. You cant use any good browser extensions to block the ads either due to point 1 about Apple not allowing any browser diversity.

There are also security implications, as an example one that came to light recently is VPNs leak data on iphone and again thats because of Apples software. Theres no workaround for 3rd party developers. There has been a few examples of this over the years,  ios sounds really limiting.

Theres so much more freedom on android and you never feel held back like you're using inferior software because someone is holding is back. Again if EU forces Apple to open up this would undoubtably be a good thing for iphone.

My current phone isn't anywhere near as nice as my old iphone (it was much cheaper to be fair), its not as slim, doesnt have that premium metal backplate, nor does it have that super large screen but the feeling of having a browser that can block all the bullshit on the web, ad-free youtube, and not having my phone spend all day reporting to a multi-trillion dollar corporation who is in bed with oppressive governments around the world is unmatched :banderoos:

Edited by TLHBO
24 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

You can''t have different browsers because Apple mandates they all have to be based on webkit. So there's no real chromium browsers, no real firefox browsers they're all basically Safari wrappers.

No alternate browsers can be used for progressive web apps, only Apple's Safari is allowed to do that.

You can't use 3rd party messenger apps to handle SMS Messages, only iMessage is allowed to do that.

There's a pattern there that 3rd party software is held back to keep Apples software on top and the users suffer for it.

You aren't allowed to install 3rd party clients like f-droid. As a real world example of how this effects me If I want youtube I can use newpipe app, it blocks all their crappy ads and tracking. On iphone if I want youtube I'm stuck with the crappy app which has an ad every 30 seconds and google spyware or I use the browser which also has ads every 30 seconds. You cant use any good browser extensions to block the ads either due to point 1 about Apple not allowing any browser diversity.

There are also security implications, as an example one that came to light recently is VPNs leak data on iphone and again thats because of Apples software. Theres no workaround for 3rd party developers. There has been a few examples of this over the years,  ios sounds really limiting.

Theres so much more freedom on android and you never feel held back like you're using inferior software because someone is holding is back. Again if EU forces Apple to open up this would undoubtably be a good thing for iphone.

My current phone isn't anywhere near as nice as my old iphone (it was much cheaper to be fair), its not as slim, doesnt have that premium metal backplate, nor does it have that super large screen but the feeling of having a browser that can block all the bullshit on the web, ad-free youtube, and not having my phone spend all day reporting to a multi-trillion dollar corporation who is in bed with oppressive governments around the world is unmatched :banderoos:

I’ll respond more when I get home but what phone do you have? 

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

But what about the other browsers is it that you want to use? Maybe there’s some cool shit out there, but they’re all generally the same now anyway from what I can tell. iPhones generally always win browser  tests vs android. 

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

again, iMessage is by far the best, why would you want to use anything else? I guess I’m biased here because no one uses other apps in America, they just lack features or speed compared to iMessage. 

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

so I mean, you’re pissed at apple for not letting you hack google…. While praising android. Lol. Anyway., there are ways to do this on iOS if you care enough. people also forget jailbreaks exist and take under 15 minutes to do. But you can just use brave browser to accomplish this on iOS if you want. 

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

don’t talk about android when bashing iOS security. Remember, google is a software company. Apple is a hardware company. 

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

so, instead… you trust … Google :benio:

2 hours ago, ghostz said:

But what about the other browsers is it that you want to use? Maybe there’s some cool shit out there, but they’re all generally the same now anyway from what I can tell. iPhones generally always win browser  tests vs android. 

again, iMessage is by far the best, why would you want to use anything else? I guess I’m biased here because no one uses other apps in America, they just lack features or speed compared to iMessage. 

so I mean, you’re pissed at apple for not letting you hack google…. While praising android. Lol. Anyway., there are ways to do this on iOS if you care enough. people also forget jailbreaks exist and take under 15 minutes to do. But you can just use brave browser to accomplish this on iOS if you want. 

don’t talk about android when bashing iOS security. Remember, google is a software company. Apple is a hardware company. 

so, instead… you trust … Google :benio:

I'm on mobile so I can't break down the quotes but I'll reply to each of your points.

1) Why not use other browsers? Why be limited to Safari which isn't even the best?

But to be specific Firefox and its glorious extensions. Ublock origin alone is a gamechanger. Beyond that the real Brave browser is far better than its neutered ios counterpart.

2) lmao imessage is nowhere near the best. Apple is in bed with the fbi and not to get political but the past few years we have seen some scary developments and a real push by governments to monitor innocent citizens. I'll take the private option over a company like Apple who sells everyone out, and hands over data to the likes of the Chinese Communist Party. On android I can handle sms in signal, on iphone only imessage is allowed to do that. Sure not everyone uses signal but in the UK barely anyone used imesssge either, it is unfortunately whatsapp that had dominance here.

3) Jailbreaking is a hack and lowers security. Sure Brave can do it but its not as convenient as having dedicated apps, and it misses the point that on android developers can do this, on ios they can not. Because android is free to modify it has a far better development scene than ios jailbroken apps.

4) Are you kidding? Have you seen how many iphone exploits have come to light the past few years? Iphone seems to be a more popular target too. Iphone isnt as secure as Apple would have you believe and Android is in fact more secure. Ios is closed source which is always going to be inferior to open source software when it comed to security. Also remember Android is not one os, some android roms may be insecure but some are much more hardened. The cheapest handsets with oem software probably are weaker, but then on the other hand you hsve Pixels with hardened roms which go way beyond iphone.

Generally I would say that is the hierarchy of phones in general. (At least for my taste)

Shitty android phones full of unremovable oem software, apps like facebook installed by default and cannot be uninstalled < Iphone < Custom android roms on a very specific list of supported devices.

If you're comparing iphone to a bloated ass android phone then yes I would take iphone over it any day but thankfully Android can be modified. Iphone is a better defauot I would concede, the fact that android is free and open and can be modified is also a bad thing because phone manufacturers used that to bloat the hell out of it so the average android you buy in store is a lackluster experience.

5) No I don't trust Google but remember because android is open you can replace it with a degoogled android. Custom roms are not the same as jailbreaking, you can replace the os without lowering the security. Again not to get political but after the past couple of years I am opting out of all these massive tech companies, Google, Meta, Microsoft and Apple. Fuck them all they have too much power and I avoid them out of protest and you know what? I really feel my experience has been all the better for it.