Sony to remove PS5s disc drive, sell it as an attachable.

They should have just done that right from the start.  Build the base console without a drive, with a port specifically to connect one, and then include the drive in the higher priced SKU.  Would have made manufacturing simpler and cheaper as well :shrug: 

Tom Henderson is a pretty reliable source.  I'd bet it happens.  Digital is taking over.

4K blu-ray disc drives are still going for over $100. And an external box would look tacky.

They'd probably be better off selling 128GB flash drives with some sort of security that only allows you to read data when it verifies that its connected to a PS5's USB slot.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

4K blu-ray disc drives are still going for over $100. And an external box would look tacky.

They'd probably be better off selling 128GB flash drives with some sort of security that only allows you to read data when it verifies that its connected to a PS5's USB slot.

It's not costing Sony $100 for a drive :Jeff:

And who the fuck is going to pay for flash drives for games? JFC :sabu: 

6 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's not costing Sony $100 for a drive :Jeff:

And who the fuck is going to pay for flash drives for games? JFC :sabu: 

When I posted "cost over $100"................did you think I was posting OEM pricing? or standard consumer pricing?

The optional drive would be sold to............................consumers, right??????????????

So which type of pricing do you think I would be applying?:reg:

People would pay for flash drives, would be people..............who would save on not having to buy an external disc drive.

39 minutes ago, jehurey said:

When I posted "cost over $100"................did you think I was posting OEM pricing? or standard consumer pricing?

The optional drive would be sold to............................consumers, right??????????????

People would pay for flash drives, would be people..............who would save on not having to buy an external disc drive.

God you're fucking stupid :cruise: 

We know from the BOM of the PS5 that it costs Sony $28 for the drive...  The price difference between the PS5 digital edition and the physical edition is $100....  They could sell it for any price they want... but not more than $100.. and there's no reason why it would cost anyone over $100..

And you're a fucking idiot... what are you even talking about?  People would NOT pay the premium for games on flash drives... LOL..  Which publishers are going to pay to ship their games on millions of costly flash drives? :drake: 

OMFG that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard suggested in this forum ever :lawl: 

Edited by Remij
3 hours ago, Remij said:

God you're fucking stupid :cruise: 

We know from the BOM of the PS5 that it costs Sony $28 for the drive... 

I love how you pretend to play stupid and not read what I posted.

here, I will re-post it again

4 hours ago, jehurey said:

3 hours ago, Remij said:

People would NOT pay the premium for games on flash drives...

Where did I say they wouldn't?

I said it would be people who didn't want to pay for the premium of an external disc drive, which is more than any individual game.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

I love how you pretend to play stupid and not read what I posted.

here, I will re-post it again

Where did I say they wouldn't?

I said it would be people who didn't want to pay for the premium of an external disc drive, which is more than any individual game.

:willslap:

You're fucking stupid :cruise: 

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

LOL moron got caught mis-reading, and then committed to it. I love it when he has decided to continue playing dumb, because he doesn't have a beter response.

What would be the point of having games on flash drives, only to have to install them to SSD, due to speed issues? At least the disk drive plays UHD movies. 

2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

What would be the point of having games on flash drives, only to have to install them to SSD, due to speed issues? At least the disk drive plays UHD movies. 

I don't think blu-ray movie playback is important to Sony.

Whereas, it would be more important that they develop something that works on 100% of all PS5's, as easily as possible.

Like a USB loader that also serves as an encrypted key to play the game. That would work with the PS5 Digital Edition right now, without the need to sell people an add-on that would cost $100 or more.

This is, assuming, that the game is secure on the flash drive, and wouldn't be easily hacked.

1 hour ago, Team 2019 said:

Sounds like bullshit they would need to add a port and on top of that they already have two production lines.

But with PS5 going up in price I can see this happening as a possibility.

If this is real, it's probably to unify more of the currently divided production line.